LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by Lefty »

I wavered all day (that is, between doing other things) between Oprah and Martha Stewart. I decided Oprah had too much dignity for a couple of those titles. I considered that "probably" better known for other media might be ironic understatement, but I didn't think Thorsten would mislead me that way. Doesn't he know my points are at stake?
I'm smart and I want respect.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:17 am
Volante wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 am Wahaddi just wasn't close enough. Nor was dropout.
I was surprised at the 40% get rate on Wahhabi. That's something that doesn't sound at all familiar to me. Cost me a tight one yesterday, losing 7(5)-6(5). My opponent missed "The College Dropout." I've always thought my defense was pretty good, but this is the second straight season I'm struggling defensively. Currently sitting at a .536 DE.
+1 for never heard of Wahhabi

On the other hand, I’m leading my rundle in DE as of yesterday
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Add me as another who had never heard of Wahhabi.

I knew College Dropout (I got credit even though I didn't know that it had a "The") because it came up on the contestant exam when I auditioned for the college tournament in 2005. I didn't know it then, but I remember that the clue was something like "the title of this debut Kanye West album describes sometime we hope you won't be." I think that I guessed "Failure."

I was kind of mad that the Commish included the cutesy TOMs on the College Dropout and the "Otto" (palindromic) questions, since I knew both right away and thought that it made them both highly guessable without real knowledge. But I can't argue with a 52% get rate.

I never thought of Oprah. I went with Martha Stewart, even though I didn't think that she really fit the clue.

Elise played easier than I thought it would. I gave up a 9(5), as my opponent's only miss was St. Louis.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:53 am
Woof wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:39 am
Volante wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 am Wahaddi just wasn't close enough. Nor was dropout.
Yup, I thought I had a chance with The Dropout (almost took a flier with The Graduate, which would have been a hoot) but no love without the modifier.
Graduation was Kanye's third album. His second: Late Registration.
I kicked myself for adding an O to make Eloise from Elise. Fortunately, that miss didn’t cost me the win in my Rundle and it didn’t change my loss to your six-pack in the private Rundle.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am
I was surprised at the 40% get rate on Wahhabi. That's something that doesn't sound at all familiar to me. Cost me a tight one yesterday, losing 7(5)-6(5). My opponent missed "The College Dropout." I've always thought my defense was pretty good, but this is the second straight season I'm struggling defensively. Currently sitting at a .536 DE.
In the aftermath of 9/11 it came out that most (all?) of the attackers were Wahhabi Sunni. Haven't heard much about that since, but it stuck in my mind and also knew that the sect was named for a person, so I figured that had to be the answer.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RandyG wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:12 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:20 am
In the aftermath of 9/11 it came out that most (all?) of the attackers were Wahhabi Sunni. Haven't heard much about that since, but it stuck in my mind and also knew that the sect was named for a person, so I figured that had to be the answer.
I knew what they were going for after dismissing "Sharia". I read many years ago (before that little episode on 9/11) about how the kingdom used a little known form of Islam for maximum authoritarian control. Problem was, I remembered "Wasabi", and then "sounds like wasabi", and decided not to spend the mental effort to pull the right word. Turns out I was pretty close and it wouldn't have taken much effort :(.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Sigh...

I don't know how to defense apparently.
Reverse Mortgage - 73% get it right, I assign 0 to my .750 Bus/Econ opponent. He misses it.
Wuthering - 41% get it right, I assign 2 to it, he gets it.

Lose 3(3)-4(3)
Now swimming in the J! pool.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This is the current "website is currently paused" video. Because they say "it's Friday" in the video and it's currently Friday on the west coast, I'm not assuming it's the same new video that was reported upthread, but it might be. Confirm/deny?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:47 am Sigh...

Reverse Mortgage - 73% get it right, I assign 0 to my .750 Bus/Econ opponent. He misses it.

Lose 3(3)-4(3)
Player stats are merely a starting point! Maybe focus on relative difficulty of the questions in each match day and defend accordingly. But what do I know? I’m just leading my rundle in DE :P
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Gotta say, I really love all the, "Man, I put down what was clearly a wrong answer, but for some reason, I didn't get any points for it" posts ...
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The Commish may have been overly generous with me yesterday. I got credit for "Gundam Wing" and "King Cobra." I don't think that I should have gotten credit for either, especially the latter. I didn't know the Gundam question but I remembered that there was an anime called Gundam Wing that was popular with the kids who were into anime when I was in middle school, so it was the best guess that I had. I also had no idea on cobra but for some reason I thought that the way that the clue was pinned made it sound like it wanted something more specific than cobra, so I threw out King Cobra as a guess. But I still lost 9(6)-7(5), so it didn't matter too much.

I was also happy that I was able to come up with Simon. I knew exactly which toy it was that the question was talking about, remembered seeing commercials for it when I was a kid, and spent about an hour trying to recall the name.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:58 am

Lose 3(3)-4(3)
Player stats are merely a starting point! Maybe focus on relative difficulty of the questions in each match day and defend accordingly. But what do I know? I’m just leading my rundle in DE :P
Defensive Llama master (or other defensive legends in their own mind) :
How do you handle WAGS that you are afraid might be obvious and easy for others?

Example: Ethiopian bread, blah blah... I got nothing, but said Pita bread (yeah, Greek, but maybe with a backstory?). I zeroed it in case it was just Pita (the bread, not the euphemism ;) ). And since I live in a backwater where Taco Bell is the most ethnic food available this might be common knowledge. Injera was a 20% get in the dumb rundle, and overall the second toughest to Wuthering for the day, so it was a waste of a zero and would have been a good three :).

I've about decided not to speculate that WAGs are correct. Most are not, so I will treat them as 2's unless I have better choices.

My DE is 0.675 and tenth in the rundle, so it's not as bad as the (warning - sports reference)
Spoiler
KC Chiefs
. I'm enjoying the micro-analysis of the game, but in the end I just want to get the ones I know right and win a couple of coin flips now and then on WAGS. I've been a little lazy and gave away Wahhabi and Bosnia-Herzgovania just to be in a hurry and submit. I almost missed Bingo the same way.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:39 am The Commish may have been overly generous with me yesterday. I got credit for "Gundam Wing" and "King Cobra." I don't think that I should have gotten credit for either, especially the latter.
There is at least a Mobile Suit Gundam Wing. Though it didn't premiere in 79, at least the parent show did, so you can kind of interpret the question that way. The other question asked for the reptile it shares its name with, so I guess any cobra would be OK (that being said, why would you be so specific? Just leave it at cobra).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Yay, I finally won yesterday! Only my third non-forfeit win of the season. I've also now gotten five correct on six consecutive match days.

Don't forget the midseason classic this weekend, everyone!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:56 am

Lose 3(3)-4(3)
Defensive Llama master (or other defensive legends in their own mind) :
How do you handle WAGS that you are afraid might be obvious and easy for others?

Example: Ethiopian bread, blah blah... I got nothing, but said Pita bread (yeah, Greek, but maybe with a backstory?). I zeroed it in case it was just Pita (the bread, not the euphemism ;) ).
Do you know the answer yourself? Is the question open-ended or does it come down to a few possible choices? Is it YEKIOYD? The rest is juju, spidey sense and general witchery
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of Simon ... I was on the radio in college at Brown, and the station got an invitation to a cocktail reception in Newport for the introduction of Super Simon. It was being hosted by Ted Turner (at that time competing in the America's Cup). Since there was going to be free food, I offered to go, and was told that I had to interview Ted Turner while I was there.

We got there, and there was a very nice buffet (unlimited shrimp!) and I waited patiently for a chance to talk with Turner, who was constantly surrounded by a bevy of beautiful women. Finally, the crowd around him thinned out at one point, and I went over to him with my tape recorder. I introduced myself and said where I was from (which happened to be the college he was unceremoniously kicked out of). As soon as I said that, he launched into a diatribe of "You yoyo! Why do you go to that yoyo school for?" and ranted on for about five minutes straight about what a yoyo I was. I was laughing too hard to ask a question even if I was able to get a word in edgewise. He is definitely a character. (And that was one of the stories on my Jeopardy card. Alex chose a different one.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:57 am This is the current "website is currently paused" video. Because they say "it's Friday" in the video and it's currently Friday on the west coast, I'm not assuming it's the same new video that was reported upthread, but it might be. Confirm/deny?
That was the same video I saw a couple of days ago, yes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:23 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:57 am This is the current "website is currently paused" video. Because they say "it's Friday" in the video and it's currently Friday on the west coast, I'm not assuming it's the same new video that was reported upthread, but it might be. Confirm/deny?
That was the same video I saw a couple of days ago, yes.
Thanks for appeasing my curiosity.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:56 amAnd since I live in a backwater where Taco Bell is the most ethnic food available...
Twelvefootboy, meet TenPoundHammer.

I have a friend whose birthday is in the first week of December, and it seems like we go out for Ethiopian food for his birthday maybe every third year -- this is not one of those years, and I couldn't remember the name of the bread. (This year, we're having Georgian soup dumplings.)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Lose 3(3)-4(3)
Well yes, but "reverse mortgage" seems like a pretty well known term, especially when it's fully defined like it was in the question.
Now swimming in the J! pool.