Monday, December 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV THEME MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A short piece for 2 guitars called “Strange No. 3” was the first part of the theme music for this drama series that debuted in 1959

Jennifer Quail: 17200+17000=34200
Patrick Yurky: 14600-4567=10033
Kirby: Copelin: 19000+15401=34401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Twilight Zone (Patrick – What ?)

Daily Doubles
Patrick: 1000+1000
Kirby: 5200+4000
Kirby: 11600+3000

Coryats
Jennifer: 17200
Patrick: 14600
Kirby: 15600

Combined: 47,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jennifer: 5600
Patrick: 5800
Kirby: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kirby found and converted DD2 and DD3 and no surprise that was the way to defeat the champ. It could be a split second of buzzer timing or one clue selection difference and Jennifer is playing tomorrow. This was not a Monday blues for the returning champ as there is nothing wrong with a 17200 Coryat.

First name Kirby has two prior hits, with one a champ and one not, so today's Kirby breaks the tie.

The FJ! category had me expecting words only although it would have been fun if the show could have sprung for music. Strange and 1959 was enough for a quick write. As Patrick showed, that kind of clue does not guarantee success and I thought it was possible Kirby missed until I felt Alex's handling of Jennifer's portion indicated she was not going to get the break she needed.

Too bad Alex had to open the week with a cold and pipes less than 100%.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Today's FJ! TOM was basically "name a strange early '60s TV show". But this was another instance where a little (too much) knowledge might have been a dangerous thing: Marius Constant's "Etrange 3" (with the familiar repeating 4-note electric guitar riff) wasn't used in 1959--it didn't replace Bernard Hermann's original Twilight Zone theme until the second season of that show. Yes, the clue did not require the theme to have been used in 1959, but knowing that the theme was replaced, and getting hung up on the premiere year, might have been enough to make one second-guess the correct response.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Took a brief detour to Peter Gunn land before getting to the correct response. A fond farewell to Miss Quail...hope she spends the $230800 wisely.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Or whatever amount she gets after taxes.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:16 pm Took a brief detour to Peter Gunn land
I started there, too. I knew the time period was about right (although it turns out that Peter Gunn actually premiered the previous season, in '58) but I also knew that Peter Gunn was for guitar and piano rather than two guitars, and that some fantastic horns come in over the background riff. Then I took a closer look at the word "strange" in the clue and headed to the right "zone".
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I thought the Twilight Zone was later so went with the Addams Family.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

It says a lot about how great a champion Jennifer was when, even in her losing game, she still had the highest coryat of the 3 players and a score of $34K.

Congrats on an amazing run, Jennifer.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Great Danes $2000 was my only miss. Stayed CLAM.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Judy Blume, Franz Joseph, Ludacris, Cuban Cigars, Robert Todd Lincoln
Douglas Squasoni
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

1959 and "strange" were two pretty good hints. I'm more used to seeing TZ called an "anthology show", but that would have been to spoon-feed.

Anyway, tough luck for Jennifer, but I guess there's a reason 35-game winning streaks are rare. Congrats to the new champ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $40,200 (47R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Judy Blume, Ludacris

Wow, what a game. Jennifer’s top-to-bottom strategy finally cost her, if she’d found even one of the DDs she would’ve won. Getting beaten to the buzzer in J round consistently didn’t help either.

Managed to pull out FJ despite thinking it was going to be a lot easier than it turned out to be. It was a late get, running through early 60s shows with famous instrumental themes in my head. Made the connection between ‘Strange” and Twilight Zone just in the nick of time.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

she finally faced opponents that had a clue...figured it would come sooner or later
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

the word "drama" threw me in the final jeopardy clue...never thought of the twilight zone as a drama
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:40 pm she finally faced opponents that had a clue...figured it would come sooner or later
With the run under 10 games the powers did not do one of their early hype hints promo like they did for Austin and James. I suspected Jennifer was not going to hit double digits. Jennifer had a great run though never managed to match that dream debut.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I salivated at the category for FJ! since it's 100% in my wheelhouse, and STILL got it wrong - which is why I would never, ever recommend wagering based solely on the category, even in a lock game.

The TOM of "strange" flew directly over my head, so the year of 1959 put me into TV Westerns - decidedly out of my wheelhouse. I'm actually a little proud of my incorrect guess of Bonanza - it did premier in 1959, which I actually didn't KNOW know. I started to think about other instrumental TV themes with a prominent riff, and Peter Gunn came to mind - and, again, I'm almost in the right era, with a 1958 premier. I actually wrote down Gunsmoke at first, but something about it "felt" wrong - the theme didn't stick out in my head like Bonanza. (Also, Gunsmoke was a radio program before TV - again, I didn't know that, but it's weird what is on your periphery of knowledge.) I figured the Bonanza theme was definitely in the J!-sphere of pop culture knowledge, and even thought it was the theme that was hummed in the cold open of an episode of Friends. (It was The Odd Couple.)

Alas, I should have paid attention - there's always clues. Strange. 1959. I've never sat down to watch an episode of the Twlight Zone, but I've always meant to.

Got Judy Blum and Beverly Cleary mixed up - AGAIN. But, in good news, I hit Sydney Opera House because of the somewhat recent FJ! clue, and I somehow got HOA even though I can NEVER remember what it stands for when I read Myrna Tellinghusen's Twitter feed.

Did the word "anaphylactic" sound a bit mispronounced to anyone else? Like she was trying to say "anaphylaxis" at the same time, almost. It was clear she knew the answer, but it didn't sound quite right to my ear.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I never thought of Twilight Zone, I said Bonanza as well, I figured there are guitars in that theme, and the timing of the year seemed right.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $38800 (47R, 2W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

Twilight Zone didn't even cross my mind, that's two very gettable ones in a row where I've whiffed. Need to get back on track.

Congrats to Jennifer for a very impressive run. Three excellent contestants today, no shame in going out this way.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in European River and Author's Christmas. Ran "V" and got all but the DD in Spark Joy.

NHO "Homeowners Association" and didn't recognize anything in that Characters category.

Any reason I should know Harlem is north of 110th Street? That seemed like overspecific knowledge for the top box.

Ancient History for $400 once again goes without someone saying "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!"

I started slow in DJ! but managed to get a few more, including all but "angina" (couldn't pull it in time) in "A" in Medicine.

TV Theme Music had me waiting for a meta-clue about the Think music.

Drama series + 1959 + guitars = ??? I had no idea what to even guess.