Monday, December 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Monday, December 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 pm Did the word "anaphylactic" sound a bit mispronounced to anyone else? Like she was trying to say "anaphylaxis" at the same time, almost. It was clear she knew the answer, but it didn't sound quite right to my ear.
I'm sure Andy will mutter under his breath at me for second-guessing the judges, but Jennifer should have won the game -- Kirby went into FJ with $4000 too much and should not have been in the lead.

My wife and I (with a combined 70+ years in health care, she as an RN) played Kirby's answer about 14 times and clearly heard her say "anaphylaxic shock." There is anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction which can lead to anaphylactic shock, but there is no such word as "anaphylaxic" in the medical lexicon.

We were mildly surprised that her response did not receive an immediate "No, sorry" and very much surprised that there was no reversal later. It would be roughly akin to accepting "appendix-itis" as a response. I'm sure there are doctors and nurses and EMTs all over shaking their heads. To a medically attuned ear, it's much more egregious than "emanciptation."

Kirby showed herself to be a very worthy opponent, but in my opinion benefited from an unfortunate judging lapse.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:13 pm 0/5 in European River and Author's Christmas. Ran "V" and got all but the DD in Spark Joy.

NHO "Homeowners Association" and didn't recognize anything in that Characters category.

Any reason I should know Harlem is north of 110th Street? That seemed like overspecific knowledge for the top box.

Ancient History for $400 once again goes without someone saying "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!"

I started slow in DJ! but managed to get a few more, including all but "angina" (couldn't pull it in time) in "A" in Medicine.

TV Theme Music had me waiting for a meta-clue about the Think music.

Drama series + 1959 + guitars = ??? I had no idea what to even guess.
african american person and a new york neighbourhood in the clue...most likely going to be harlem
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 pm Did the word "anaphylactic" sound a bit mispronounced to anyone else? Like she was trying to say "anaphylaxis" at the same time, almost. It was clear she knew the answer, but it didn't sound quite right to my ear.
I'm sure Andy will mutter under his breath at me for second-guessing the judges, but Jennifer should have won the game -- Kirby went into FJ with $4000 too much and should not have been in the lead.

My wife and I (with a combined 70+ years in health care, she as an RN) played Kirby's answer about 14 times and clearly heard her say "anaphylaxic shock." There is anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction which can lead to anaphylactic shock, but there is no such word as "anaphylaxic" in the medical lexicon.

We were mildly surprised that her response did not receive an immediate "No, sorry" and very much surprised that there was no reversal later. It would be roughly akin to accepting "appendix-itis" as a response. I'm sure there are doctors and nurses and EMTs all over shaking their heads. To a medically attuned ear, it's much more egregious than "emanciptation."

Kirby showed herself to be a very worthy opponent, but in my opinion benefited from an unfortunate judging lapse.
I felt the same way, but it must be an obscure alternative adjectival form if they let it go. In googling for authoritative usages, I found a PDF of A Textbook of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, which apparently uses it. (I say "apparently" only because it shows up in the preview text and I can't text-search through PDFs on my phone.)
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 pm

I felt the same way, but it must be an obscure alternative adjectival form if they let it go. In googling for authoritative usages, I found a PDF of A Textbook of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, which apparently uses it. (I say "apparently" only because it shows up in the preview text and I can't text-search through PDFs on my phone.)
It's used once, in a discussion of anesthetics-
Intravenous induction agents
All have a rapid onset of action, with propofol gradually
replacing thiopental in the UK as the usual agent of choice.
• Propofol – rapid recovery, pain on injection, bradycardia
which may be avoided by use of an antimuscarinic agent,
rarely anaphylaxic and causing convulsions.

"Anaphylactic" is used 19 times in the same book...
It's a UK textbook, the edition is from 2008.

If I missed tonight's FJ I'd have to turn in my boomer membership card...
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:13 pm
Ancient History for $400 once again goes without someone saying "WHAT! IS! SPARTA!"
If I ever get on the show, I will do this. It'll be even more hilarious if it's wrong.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 pm There is anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction which can lead to anaphylactic shock, but there is no such word as "anaphylaxic" in the medical lexicon.
Would "anaphylaxis" by itself have been accepted?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:23 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:13 pm
If I ever get on the show, I will do this. It'll be even more hilarious if it's wrong.
Same.

I would put "What is love, baby don't hurt me" as an FJ! response, but somebody already did that in the main game.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:29 pm I thought the Twilight Zone was later so went with the Addams Family.
I thought of The Addams Family first, too, but quickly realized the clue stated "drama" and that led me to The Twilight Zone.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I probably teased out Twilight Zone from the "short piece" reference and had doubts because of the "drama", and "two guitars" information. 1959 seemed to jump the gun a little, but definitely before 1962 so that seemed cromulent.

Nice wagers and I like the big paydays. Jennifer's kryptonite was her cool steady play when some urgency and panic maybe would have been in order. As someone has mentioned, she need to hunt and kill the DD's if she didn't want to deploy them for herself. She's been back in the real world quite a while now, I wonder how the day job seems after her amazing 3-4 days in Carson City. She didn't lose the game, she got beat, and congrats to Kirby :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bunnyandthorton
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by bunnyandthorton »

Is it just me, or are there WAY more female contestants this season compared to the historical average?

Hopefully Jeopardy producers aren't using a quota system thereby discriminating against males.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 pm There is anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction which can lead to anaphylactic shock, but there is no such word as "anaphylaxic" in the medical lexicon.
Would "anaphylaxis" by itself have been accepted?
That's exactly what I said - "anaphylaxis" - and I gave myself credit. I don't think it'd even be a BMS situation - if so, I think I'd get it. Some dictionary googling says that anaphylaxis is "an acute allergic reaction", while anaphylactic shock is "an extreme, often life-threatening allergic reaction to an antigen to which the body has become hypersensitive". Shock refers to a large, sudden, and often life-threatening drop in blood pressure. But anaphylaxis alone can be life-threatening without needing the shock element to it - for example, swelling of the throat.

So, really, there's nothing to point to "anaphylaxis" over "anaphylactic shock", or vice versa. Or "anaphylactic reation" - all three seem like they should be acceptable.

However, "anaphylaxic shock" isn't a phrase I've ever heard. The word isn't in Merriam-Webster online, but OED? There's about a 95% chance that she knows both "anaphylaxis" and "anaphylactic shock", and just accidentally tongue-tied the words together as she was putting together the sentence. Much like if you were to say conversationally "He had a more....friendlier manner", when you start to say "more pleasant", but then switch to "friendlier" mid-stream after saying "more".

By the "spirit of the law", she knew the correct response. There's maybe a 5% chance that she thought "anaphylaxic" is a word - and by the "letter of the law", she got it wrong. But even so, they can be a little generous with mispronunciations if there are the right number of syllables, if it doesn't create an alternate word, and if the letters can reasonably be pronounced in more than one way. If you read "anaphylactic", maybe there's some way you can get an "x" sound from "ct".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:41 pm the word "drama" threw me in the final jeopardy clue...never thought of the twilight zone as a drama
That.

And guitars didn't help either. Didn't have the slightest clue.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:41 pm the word "drama" threw me in the final jeopardy clue...never thought of the twilight zone as a drama
That.

My gut reaction would be to say "science fiction", but not all episodes are really science fiction. I guess you could argue that most scripted television falls somewhere on the "comedy/drama" spectrum - Friends being on the comedy end, Ally McBeal being in the center, and I imagine Twlight Zone being fairly firmly on the dramatic end for most episodes.

I guess "suspense anthology" would be the most accurate categorization....but those two words alone are Pavlovian for "Twilight Zone" in the 60s or the new CBS remake, or "Black Mirror" for Netflix.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Never knew my love for The Twilight Zone would become somewhat useful in FJ.

Jennifer was fun to watch but, as most likely expected, she was done in by the other two contestants finding the DDs. Regardless, Alex jinxed her with the Top Ten talk. She still is in the upper tier of contestants and the next TOC is setting up to be good.

How many contestants who have tried the James’ bottom of the board strategy have won since James’ run? Patrick put together a strong game but was done in by two faster opponents.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
CasketRomance wrote: she finally faced opponents that had a clue...figured it would come sooner or later
With the run under 10 games the powers did not do one of their early hype hints promo like they did for Austin and James. I suspected Jennifer was not going to hit double digits. Jennifer had a great run though never managed to match that dream debut.
I saw a promo last week, maybe Monday or Tuesday, that showed a collage of Jennifer getting correct responses in different outfits and had Alex playing her up pretty highly. One of the things he said was something like: "She keeps winning and winning....How far will she go?" I thought it rather early for Sony Pictures to be projecting her as a phenom.

Jennifer had a couple more compulsive guesses/negs in this game but it wasn't quite enough to cost her the lead going into FJ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

yclept wrote:Regardless, Alex jinxed her with the Top Ten talk.
Yeah, that irked me a bit.
I haven't totaled it up in the archives, but Jennifer left a considerable amount of cash on the table in all but one of her lock games. She may have already broke into the Top Ten, had she been more loose with her wagers.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bunnyandthorton wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:31 am Is it just me, or are there WAY more female contestants this season compared to the historical average?

Hopefully Jeopardy producers aren't using a quota system thereby discriminating against males.
Well, if they are, they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

bunnyandthorton wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:31 am Is it just me, or are there WAY more female contestants this season compared to the historical average?
How ironic, the same question was posted to Reddit five minutes immediately after this one.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That.

Why wouldn't you consider it a drama? To me it's one of the most dramatic TV series of all time.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:51 am
That.

Why wouldn't you consider it a drama? To me it's one of the most dramatic TV series of all time.
Also, its Primetime Emmy nominations came under the Drama category.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan