2020 Online Test announced - Jan 28, 29, 30

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

True North
Loyal Jeopardista

2020 Online Test announced - Jan 28, 29, 30

Post by True North »

It’s official...dates and audition sites are up:

https://www.jeopardy.com/be-on-j/online-test

A little disappointed there were no Canadian cities this time around...nothing will ever beat Alex popping in during my last audition in Toronto :D Detroit again would be ok.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Online Test announced - Jan 28, 29, 30

Post by jeff6286 »

For posterity's sake, here are the cities listed. I ordered them roughly in a circular route around the country. I can't imagine they're actually going to visit all of these, as there is particularly a large glut in the midwest. Even Indianapolis which I can't recall being on the list anytime in the last 8 years.

San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New York, Providence, Miami, Tampa, Atlanta

I'm in the pool for once so can't take this one, but wanted to see the cities available and I guess I had to register to do that. In recent years there has been no "just for fun" button, right?
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

My time in the player pool ends Jan. 12. To have the next online test a mere 16 days later is an early Christmas gift. :)

Good luck to all who take it!
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:02 pm For posterity's sake, here are the cities listed. I ordered them roughly in a circular route around the country. I can't imagine they're actually going to visit all of these, as there is particularly a large glut in the midwest. Even Indianapolis which I can't recall being on the list anytime in the last 8 years.

San Diego, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New York, Providence, Miami, Tampa, Atlanta
Wow. I'm pretty disappointed in this list. The closest one for me, now in AR, is 9 hours away, and people in major population centers (Dallas or Houston, just to name 2) would have quite a bit more of a drive. I guess they feel like they've had enough people on from the South in recent months? I'll still sign up for the test, and hope that if I get an audition they'll have added a site in DFW, Memphis, or the like.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I am really disappointed with the audition cities they have. Not all of us have the funds to fly out to audition and being from Denver, California is the only state that is closest to me.
Just a person who loves game shows.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ouachiouat wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:32 am
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:02 pm For posterity's sake, here are the cities listed. I ordered them roughly in a circular route around the country. I can't imagine they're actually going to visit all of these, as there is particularly a large glut in the midwest. Even Indianapolis which I can't recall being on the list anytime in the last 8 years.

Wow. I'm pretty disappointed in this list. The closest one for me, now in AR, is 9 hours away, and people in major population centers (Dallas or Houston, just to name 2) would have quite a bit more of a drive. I guess they feel like they've had enough people on from the South in recent months? I'll still sign up for the test, and hope that if I get an audition they'll have added a site in DFW, Memphis, or the like.
Yes there sure is a massive swath of the country unrepresented here, from Phoenix to Salt Lake to Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis, Little Rock, New Orleans, and all of Texas. They could always add some stops, maybe they forgot to plan for this and just had an intern quickly throw together a list minutes before the registration page went live!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'll be at work during those times. Oh well.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Peachbox wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:34 pm My time in the player pool ends Jan. 12. To have the next online test a mere 16 days later is an early Christmas gift. :)

Good luck to all who take it!
As I gaze into my crystal ball, I see you taking the test on January 28th, and while you are frantically hitting the refresh button on J-Board waiting for the answers to be posted...YOU GET THE CALL!!!!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Is this the first time Providence has been on the list?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

nserven wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:24 am Is this the first time Providence has been on the list?
I can't say for sure, but it is interesting that they're doing Providence and not Boston. Granted, the cities are only an hour from each other, but I'd imagine just in terms of raw population, Boston (and the immediate outlying metro cities and towns) would have a bigger contestant pool, but maybe they've come to Boston so often that they're trying some of the outlying cities? Or maybe they're letting the Providence affiliate tape a "here's what the J! auditions are like" bit for the local news; WBZ in Boston has done a couple of these.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

That is an... interesting list of cities. I made a map.

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

nklotz wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:22 pm That is an... interesting list of cities. I made a map.

hoping all the mid-west means they really liked me in columbus this year...
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Getting back on this horse! I got bucked off at the in-person test this summer in Vegas, but I have yet to do the same online.

I'm inspired by some people here and in my social media (and on the show!) who have dedicated themselves to working hard at getting better at trivia. I hope to carve out some time to learn the (big) stuff I don't know. Sporcle help me!

(Edit: Pittsburgh for the audition - gotta visit the inlaws anyhow!)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Good luck to everyone this go-round. I'm swimming in the pool so must sit this one out.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:47 am
nserven wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:24 am Is this the first time Providence has been on the list?
I can't say for sure, but it is interesting that they're doing Providence and not Boston. Granted, the cities are only an hour from each other, but I'd imagine just in terms of raw population, Boston (and the immediate outlying metro cities and towns) would have a bigger contestant pool, but maybe they've come to Boston so often that they're trying some of the outlying cities? Or maybe they're letting the Providence affiliate tape a "here's what the J! auditions are like" bit for the local news; WBZ in Boston has done a couple of these.
Several years ago (2014, I think) they mysteriously did both Providence and Boston. The Providence auditions were indeed the basis for a promo segment on the WPRI 12 News. I myself had a cameo frantically pushing a buzzer. I did not notice any increase in RI or southeast MA contestants in the next year, although one guy from my audition did make it. With no Boston this year, most New Englanders of any kind will likely select Providence. Didn't they have Savannah instead of Atlanta last year? I guess this would be similar.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:02 pm I can't imagine they're actually going to visit all of these, as there is particularly a large glut in the midwest. Even Indianapolis which I can't recall being on the list anytime in the last 8 years.
Have they skipped listed cities in the past?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:55 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:02 pm I can't imagine they're actually going to visit all of these, as there is particularly a large glut in the midwest. Even Indianapolis which I can't recall being on the list anytime in the last 8 years.
Have they skipped listed cities in the past?
As far as w we know about reported auditions versus cities on the list, it looks like some cities may have been skipped in the past.

This might be the PTBs way of helping people do what I’ve done and pick cities away from the northeast.

This way they can have all those Midwest cities, and spread the random draw luck around without going to all the cities.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Screw that, then. Nearest city a thousand miles away?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:47 am I can't say for sure, but it is interesting that they're doing Providence and not Boston. Granted, the cities are only an hour from each other, but I'd imagine just in terms of raw population, Boston (and the immediate outlying metro cities and towns) would have a bigger contestant pool, but maybe they've come to Boston so often that they're trying some of the outlying cities? Or maybe they're letting the Providence affiliate tape a "here's what the J! auditions are like" bit for the local news; WBZ in Boston has done a couple of these.
Pretty sure a big driver of which cities they visit is the amount of promotion the local station is willing to give them (in terms of both airtime and money, e.g., paying for the contestant staff's travel and hotel rooms).
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:19 am
talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:47 am I can't say for sure, but it is interesting that they're doing Providence and not Boston. Granted, the cities are only an hour from each other, but I'd imagine just in terms of raw population, Boston (and the immediate outlying metro cities and towns) would have a bigger contestant pool, but maybe they've come to Boston so often that they're trying some of the outlying cities? Or maybe they're letting the Providence affiliate tape a "here's what the J! auditions are like" bit for the local news; WBZ in Boston has done a couple of these.
Pretty sure a big driver of which cities they visit is the amount of promotion the local station is willing to give them (in terms of both airtime and money, e.g., paying for the contestant staff's travel and hotel rooms).
I've seen talk of local stations paying for this, but that really doesn't make sense for a station to do. Does anyone have confirmation that local stations actually pay for this to happen?

I would think the reason for Providence is because it is in between NYC and Boston, and is cheaper to travel to/stay in.