2019 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2019 Current Events Study Guide

Post by mas3cf »

The United States Space Force becomes the eighth U.S. uniformed service and sixth service branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. (eyeroll... but a new branch of the military is definitely J! canon material)

This was a redesignation of the U.S. Air Force Space Command, and all existing space operations in other branches of the military will be transferred into the new branch.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" (1994) becomes the oldest song to reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for the first time.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Newest national park: White Sands National Monument (New Mexico) is upgraded to National Park status.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The New York Times posted a quiz where you attempt to identify 52 celebs, politicians, and athletes from their photos alone. If you don't have a subscription it may be worth expending one of your monthly views for:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -quiz.html

The stats are pretty interesting, too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I managed 31 of them.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:15 pm I managed 31 of them.
41 for me. A couple dumb misses. My wife got 43. She definitely has me beat on current events.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

I was pleasantly surprised to get 42 - even with a few NHOs in there.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:24 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:15 pm I managed 31 of them.
41 for me. A couple dumb misses. My wife got 43. She definitely has me beat on current events.
34 for me...the one i got with the lowest percentage was modi...only 17 percent got thunberg? must be disciples of ten pound hammer
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 am The New York Times posted a quiz where you attempt to identify 52 celebs, politicians, and athletes from their photos alone. If you don't have a subscription it may be worth expending one of your monthly views for:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -quiz.html

The stats are pretty interesting, too.
39. Shaking my damn head at missing a couple of easy ones like Rihanna. Having skipped all of the debates so far, not even a glimmer of recognition for most of the lower tier candidates' faces. I'm still not sure who the &!#@ Jeffree Star, Emma Chamberlain, and Markiplier are even after looking them up.

I'm going to assume that 15-20% of Times readers' browsers crashed in the middle of the quiz, otherwise I can't explain how 3 current/former presidents are only in the mid/low 80% range amongst people who read the news.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

26, but I typed nicknames for a couple of them that weren't accepted (Cocaine Mitch, Crooked Hillary). Queen Bey was accepted, as was just Oprah and just Bernie ("Close enough" they said.) I was curious what kind of algorithm they had in place for accepting nicknames/political commentary. (I figure many of the 13 percent or so who "couldn't" identify President Trump in reality typed something other than his name into the box.)
clprez

Post by clprez »

I guessed Kardashian West instead of Kardashian and it was marked wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

42 for me with a couple of close enough for botching the spelling. My favorite guess was taking a flier on "president of Ukraine". The 160+ spellings for the mayor was hilarious. I had Butta instead of Butti. Those single digit % names not in the sports world were not for me. Definitely watching The View helped with a lot of the political names.

Yes, impossible not to think of Hammer when his girl showed up and following up from another thread, I did send him (he confirmed getting it) that issue of Time when I was done with it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got credit for 21, though really 22 since somehow it skipped over Trump for me.

I don’t think I got any of the celebrities correct other than Oprah and the Rock. The bottom tier people running for president were a blur. Never heard of some of those people from YouTube.

Worst miss was Michelle Obama. The one I knew with the lowest get rate was Rapinoe.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought it was interesting that less than 50% of Americans under 40 can identify Joe Biden from a photo (according to the article). That's just shameful.

Anyone else think Jeffree Star was Marilyn Manson?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:09 pm I thought it was interesting that less than 50% of Americans under 40 can identify Joe Biden from a photo (according to the article). That's just shameful.

Anyone else think Jeffree Star was Marilyn Manson?
initially yes, but then was like no not him...i put that ellish person for that star person
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

47. Basically only missed the Youtubers and foreign leaders.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I am not a faces guy, so for perspective, with 21 correct:

The first 8 were OK, then guessed Timberlake for Bieber. Got #10 K(voldemort word) from being spoilt here already, I hope I can excise the image from memory.

Then a handful and stumbled on Drake. My lowest genuine get was Boris Johnson, although I got Julian Castro from a WAG (makes me feel racist, lol). I've lost the page now, but if I can get back, I'll ETA the complete never-seen's I could never match to a name even. (discounting soccer players in uniform, duh)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:09 pm Anyone else think Jeffree Star was Marilyn Manson?
My thought was that it looked a little like him, but definitely was not.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I took it, but I didn't take it seriously. That's how I found out that if you type "Boober" for Justin Bieber, the quiz says "close enough" and gives you credit. Even more surprisingly and delightfully, it told me "close enough" when I typed "The British Trump" for Boris Johnson. I am sorry to say my luck did not hold out with the same tactic for "Evil Mark Zuckerberg" and "Evil Jeff Bezos". Perhaps these designations were considered redundant? After all, the quiz didn't accept "Tom Tom Brady" either.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:24 pm After all, the quiz didn't accept "Tom Tom Brady" either.
Did it accept Mr. Gisele Bundchen?