Help with a Jeopardy-themed marriage proposal

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

anthontherun
Contributor

Help with a Jeopardy-themed marriage proposal

Post by anthontherun »

Jeopardy has played a big role in my and my girlfriend's relationship--one of our earliest dates was a Jeopardy marathon, and we've consistently watched together and competed against one another ever since. (I always win, but mostly because I read the clues faster :) ) Next year I'm planning to pop the big (in-the-form-of-a) question and I want to make Jeopardy a part of it.

One option that came to mind is creating a board of inside jokes and references to our relationship, but I feel like that will be too obvious. Another thought was to Frankenbite 5 clues that will lead to "What is...will/you/marry/me/[her name]" kind of like the way Conan O'Brien would make bizarre non sequiturs but this would require a lot of research and access to certain episodes (not to mention all the editing involved).

I know this board is full of former contestants and others who might potentially have a stronger connection to production than I do...I submitted an inquiry on the Sony site but I don't necessarily expect to hear back. I'm wondering if there's any way I could get the official help of producers or the Clue Crew (of course we love Alex and it would be incredible if he could participate somehow, but that's asking too much) in preparing a video or something. I'm still figuring out exactly how to do it--I do like the "will/you/marry/me/[her name]" concept and I like the idea of writing clues that will lead to those questions (I'll take suggestions on this too! Thinking I would use "ewe" for "you"). But if anyone has other ideas, let me know! All I know is I really do want to incorporate Jeopardy into this because it's one of our favorite activities we share.

Obviously this will have to wait until after the new year to get rolling, but I figured I would put it out there now and see what might work! Thanks all.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Help with a Jeopardy-themed marriage proposal

Post by jeff6286 »

I don’t think Jeopardy works for a marriage proposal because you’d have to provide the answer and get her to give the question.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Just remember to practice your "Oohh, sohrry" in case she gives the wrong response! :lol:
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Snail mail to jeopardy, write to the clue crew member of your choice.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I wonder if any of them are on Cameo?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 pm I wonder if any of them are on Cameo?
Checked because I'm curious - no Alex, Jimmy, or Sarah on Cameo as of now.

The good news is they have Chris Harrision, if you're into WWTBAM...the bad news is, he's $500.

They also have Drew Carey for $100, but he's "temporarily unavailable".
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:01 pm

The good news is they have Chris Harrision, if you're into WWTBAM...the bad news is, he's $500.

why does chris harrison cost 5x more than drew carey? i guess because he knows he can milk the sucker women into forking over that kind of dough?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:08 pm

why does chris harrison cost 5x more than drew carey? i guess because he knows he can milk the sucker women into forking over that kind of dough?
The Harrison cost feels about right given some of the others I've seen on that site. Carey at $100 feels like the outlier.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:24 pm

The Harrison cost feels about right given some of the others I've seen on that site. Carey at $100 feels like the outlier.
I'd agree with that - although the $100 may be an old price tag, since Drew's not actively doing Cameos. Harrison at $500 does seem in line with other prices - although folks here may be more interested in Millionaire, The Bachelor is a pretty popular franchise.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:45 pm Just remember to practice your "Oohh, sohrry" in case she gives the wrong response! :lol:
lol, good one.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Hmm.

I like where you're going, creatively and conceptually, but please don't make her the equivalent to a female sheep in your marriage proposal. Baaaa-d idea, from a woman's POV. Hilarious to a guy, I'm sure.

1. Though his full name is one of the most famous in all English literature, his friends called him this

2. The most common texting abbreviation is a one-letter representation of this word

3. A holiday word that appears with bright, gentlemen, and chestnuts, among many other lyrics

4. The third of seven singing syllables

5. (Keying her name)
Pending...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:33 pm

I'd agree with that - although the $100 may be an old price tag, since Drew's not actively doing Cameos. Harrison at $500 does seem in line with other prices - although folks here may be more interested in Millionaire, The Bachelor is a pretty popular franchise.
just looked at some of the prices...are you telling me chris harrison costs the same as kareem abdul jabbar and jim brown? 2 of the best in the history of sports and some dude who will likely not stand the test of time once the bachelor goes off the year? though i do see some overpriced people on there...fricking derrius guice costs the same and he has had 2 decent games in his entire career...i guess people just set prices hoping to find some schmuck to overpay
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:49 pm Hmm.

I like where you're going, creatively and conceptually, but please don't make her the equivalent to a female sheep in your marriage proposal. Baaaa-d idea, from a woman's POV. Hilarious to a guy, I'm sure.

1. Though his full name is one of the most famous in all English literature, his friends called him this

2. The most common texting abbreviation is a one-letter representation of this word

3. A holiday word that appears with bright, gentlemen, and chestnuts, among many other lyrics

5. (Keying her name)
She's going to mess this all up by going DD hunting.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:29 pm

5. (Keying her name)

are you sure they referred to him as will rather than billy?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:03 pm
talkingaway wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:33 pm

just looked at some of the prices...are you telling me chris harrison costs the same as kareem abdul jabbar and jim brown? 2 of the best in the history of sports and some dude who will likely not stand the test of time once the bachelor goes off the year? though i do see some overpriced people on there...fricking derrius guice costs the same and he has had 2 decent games in his entire career...i guess people just set prices hoping to find some schmuck to overpay
I would imagine the people who are more likely to use this service are probably young and aren’t interested in athletes who retired long before they were born.

If I were some super rich celebrity, this sounds like it’s more trouble than it’s worth to take time to make some video for what amounts to pocket change for them.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:29 pm

5. (Keying her name)
:lol:
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

5. (Keying her name)
Good questions! You could call the category Potpourri or Hodgepodge and ask your girlfriend "Could you help me test this Jeopardy! game I'm writing?" ;)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:45 pm Just remember to practice your "Oohh, sohrry" in case she gives the wrong response! :lol:
We all really hope she doesn't. But that said......this is funny, I don't care who you are!! :lol:
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Since the "will" clue might be a bit ambiguous, as pointed out above, how about:

In a GEICO commercial, a group of pigeons is urged to "fire at" someone with this first name.

Even if she hasn't seen the commercial, she could easily figure out the correct response from the common expression "fire at will".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

https://www.facebook.com/10505090694/po ... =n&sfns=mo

I don’t know if the link works, but here is a video I saw on Facebook with a guy doing this Family Feud style.