Friday, December 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 27, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART FIRSTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first French museum to buy this type of painting was the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Lyon, in 1901

Karen Farrell: 11900+6501=18401 (2x = $35,601)
Jamison Webb: 9200-4800=4400
Matt Anderson: 8800+8795=17595

Correct response:
Spoiler
Impressionist (Jamison – Cubist)

Daily Doubles
Karen: 3800+2000
Matt: 2600+2600
Karen: 8200-1500

Coryats
Karen: 12400
Jamison: 9200
Mattt: 8200

Combined: 29,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Karen: 5800
Jamison: 2000
Matt:1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice to have all 61 clues played especially with fun stuff like MAIL-ORDER NOVELTIES on the board.

A cleaner game by Matt and he could have forced Karen to lose more on DD3. As is, Karen's 12400 Coryat was enough today coupled with her solving the FJ! clue.

Jamison's IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4941474/

The FJ! clue caught me acting like it was the ToC and not regular play as I dismissed the correct response for being earlier in the 19th century and I wrote Pointillism. Keep it simple, dummy. :twisted: Au revoir chance at the weekly perfecto and it's not even Friday the 13th this time as happened two weeks ago to me.

In LL my ART is .466 so I do tend to miss more than I get. There are other (they can name themselves if they choose) board members with lower percentages who will get it right as the FJ! clue allows guesses.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:04 am Nice to have all 61 clues played especially with fun stuff like MAIL-ORDER NOVELTIES on the board.

A cleaner game by Matt and he could have forced Karen to lose more on DD3. As is, Karen's 12400 Coryat was enough today coupled with her solving the FJ! clue.

Jamison's IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4941474/

The FJ! clue caught me acting like it was the ToC and not regular play as I dismissed the correct response for being earlier in the 19th century and I wrote Pointillism. Keep it simple, dummy. :twisted: Au revoir chance at the weekly perfecto and it's not even Friday the 13th this time as happened two weeks ago to me.

In LL my ART is .466 so I do tend to miss more than I get. There are other (they can name themselves if they choose) board members with lower percentages who will get it right as the FJ! clue allows guesses.
I did consider pointillism due to the date but figured the actual answer simply had to be correct given this was J! and not LL.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 39,800 (48R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

I considered cubism, on the chance that the movement started earlier than I thought, or some museum had an inside track on it. But landed on the correct response.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $40,600 (48R, 1W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: garbage in garbage out, a free lunch, iodine, tennis, ten, Caspian Sea

First thought was cubist for FJ, but discarded it quickly because of the year. So I went with the only other plausible guess and hit :mrgreen:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

thought impressionism was much earlier, guessed modern art. Was hoping for joke answers like 'paint-by-numbers' :P
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:38 pm thought impressionism was much earlier,...
It was but, I think, not appreciated at its time, only later. Hence why a museum wouldn't dare risk getting a piece until much later.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but the bottom in Mail-Order and Lmnts, all but "free lunch" in Proverbs. Ran Ghost-Ted in DJ! though.

NHO Darius or Dinah.

Davis Cup = tennis seemed obscure for the top box.

Surrounded! was very tough. I got disoriented on $400 and couldn't shift gears in time, no hope on the rest.

Saw absolutely no way to figure out this FJ! whatsoever. What was the tipoff?

Lach Trash: "garbage in, garbage out", dribble glass, ten
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:57 pm Davis Cup = tennis seemed obscure for the top box.
It's not, but on a personal level, I keep mixing it up with Ryder (golf)...

Anyone have a Davis/Ryder mnemonic I could steal?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:05 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:57 pm Davis Cup = tennis seemed obscure for the top box.

I dunno, you ride on a golf cart?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:26 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:05 pm

I dunno, you ride on a golf cart?
That could work. You could try "Davis is tennis" for a little rhyme stretch?

Strange that the guys handled the other four though got stopped on the top one. Not obscure while no big deal if in a box worth more.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Charles Atlas and Bardo.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Conde Nast, Garbage In Garbage Out, Free Lunch, Dinah, Dribble Glass, Iodine, Tennis, Ten, (Potemkin), Caspian Sea
Douglas Squasoni
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Gotcha, Mark. I'm 3/24 = 0.125 in my 3 Llama seasons for Art. (only my second worst subject, I'm 0 for 10 in Theater, to the shame of my Llama referrer with the red nose :). I knew what answer I wanted, but sidetracked and brain locked on surrealism until I retrieved impressionism, figuring it was the first big move away from the classics.

Davis cup is obscure because Tennis has done a crappy job of organizing and marketing it. Matches are played over long periods of time at various venues and for many years the good players didn't bother with it because it didn't pay anything - you play for your country.

GIGO was being used by Ceramics industry in the 60's to refer to kiln firing results. They may have co-opted it from the nascent programming industry at the time, but I always thought they pilfered it from us. I'm sure it has a more boring origin story.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:34 pm

That could work. You could try "Davis is tennis" for a little rhyme stretch?

Jefferson Davis was rumored to have escaped in a dress, symbolizing cowardice, which is symbolized by yellow, which is the color of a tennis ball. There you go.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

I laughed at Matt's wide-eyed face when he made his wager LOL.
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

I thought there were two rather sloppy mistakes on today’s show. First, they had the misspelling ‘INDIESPENSABLE’ in one of the clues. Then in the -TED category, Alex said the correct answer would not have the letters T, E, D. The first answer turned up was ‘ten’, from ‘tented’. Alex’s explanation needed to be worded a little more precisely.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Steppenwolf wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:25 am I thought there were two rather sloppy mistakes on today’s show. First, they had the misspelling ‘INDIESPENSABLE’ in one of the clues. Then in the -TED category, Alex said the correct answer would not have the letters T, E, D. The first answer turned up was ‘ten’, from ‘tented’. Alex’s explanation needed to be worded a little more precisely.
"One of Powell's Indiespensable Book Club selections was George Saunders' "Lincoln" in this purgatory-like state"
According to the powells.com website, that is indeed how they spell the name of their book club.

Agree on your second point regarding tented.

Started writing watercolor for FJ before switching to pointillism. Like Mark, a classic case of overthinking.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:01 am "One of Powell's Indiespensable Book Club selections was George Saunders' "Lincoln" in this purgatory-like state"
According to the powells.com website, that is indeed how they spell the name of their book club.
Yep. They like to highlight independent publishers, so it's Indie-spensible"