Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

There was something on TV Back in the Day that had a Chicago zip mentioned all the time. Either 60601 or 60606. Can't remember if it was a show or an ad. But that is how I knew it instantly (besides knowing Chicago comes in at #3 nowadays). Some help, please?

I also went with TV dinner until I re-read the question and got Swanson's.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

John Boy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:10 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:43 am Another day, another baby boomer lay-up. If you didn't grow up in the era this company dominated the market, it might be tough to differentiate it from all the others that followed in its wake.
Oh, and Karen is a lovely and talented contestant, but her timid FJ wagers are beginning to get on my nerves. Is there a category that would cause her to cut loose, just once?
Hey, man, it's her money to win or lose or leave on the table. No skin off my nose. I'd be way more bothered if she pulled some boneheaded wager that cost her a game (and ended her streak). Apart from that, no biggie.
Yes, it's her money and it's no skin off my nose, either. I was expressing mild annoyance that she wasn't going for it, just one time. That's all.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:54 am
theFJguy wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:04 am
Karen Farrell: 18400-1600=16800 (4x = $74,401)
Susan Stoltzful: 7000+6799=13799
Bill Coulter: 100+0=100
Not a huge deal for this thread, but I noticed this typo in the Archive as well; should be "Stoltzfus" (not sure if there's an easy way to suggest corrections to things other than clues. I'll happily delete this post later if need be).
Fixed and fixed. Thank you. :oops: No need to delete your post. Stuff happens and you did nothing wrong. A post here is more likely to catch my eyes sooner than later. For the Archive and such situations you can go all the way to the bottom of a game and there is an option for a correction suggestion. I check in on those every so often.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So am I the only one here for whom "Swanson" is entirely Pavlovian for broth? I had no idea they also made TV dinners and went with Banquet.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:58 am There was something on TV Back in the Day that had a Chicago zip mentioned all the time. Either 60601 or 60606. Can't remember if it was a show or an ad. But that is how I knew it instantly (besides knowing Chicago comes in at #3 nowadays). Some help, please?
Like TPH, I just go with low numbers east and high ones west. Plus I live in the 600 series. Looking at a map they are sectioned nicely in contiguous groups, but in a little bit of a drunken order. Montana at 59xxx is just an Idaho panhandle from WA state at 98xxx. Not much help, but not too much hindrance to see it once.

I'll keep hacking until the actual image posts, or until I give up and go full Penguin.

One hour later: waves white flag. The link is below to a nice map. That's all I got. Back to school :roll:

https://imgur.com/a/wDbBcIk
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:16 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:54 pm In winning 4 games Karen has a wagering average of 2,120 and it would be lower if she had known the Russian ship on Friday's DD3 when the miss tightened the game.

cheezguyty: Can you find a person after their 4th win (before playing game 5) with a lower DD+FJ wagering average?
Lisa Guay averaged just $867 ($1,734 adjusted) across nine wagers in his first four wins (her largest being $1,100). Jason Karpf, Rod Sanders, Robin Carroll, and Bob Harris also had corresponding averages below that of Karen's.
Thank you for the research. After reading your list it hit me that, duh, what about Faith Love? She was no high roller.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:03 am I knew exactly what the clue wanted, but just couldn't pull Swanson tonight.
Same. Considered and discarded Butterball, ended up going with Stouffer's even though I was 95% sure it was wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:10 am I was considering using the Manhattan = Little Apple thing as a choice in one of my TDs.
Around here, at least, the Navy-K State game was on just before J!. Not that I didn't know it anyway, but it certainly was mentioned.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I'm familiar with the origin story of Swanson's TV Dinners, but I'm also an admirer of "Saddlesore Swanson" (voiced by Chill Wills) from the old America Sings attraction at Disneyland.
https://pin.it/qw4sdvprpojdjs
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:55 am I'm familiar with the origin story of Swanson's TV Dinners, but I'm also an admirer of "Saddlesore Swanson" (voiced by Chill Wills) from the old America Sings attraction at Disneyland.
https://pin.it/qw4sdvprpojdjs
FJ! brought ZZ Top to mind.
OCSam
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:58 am There was something on TV Back in the Day that had a Chicago zip mentioned all the time. Either 60601 or 60606. Can't remember if it was a show or an ad. But that is how I knew it instantly (besides knowing Chicago comes in at #3 nowadays). Some help, please?
I have a recollection of a game show announcer saying "Chicago 60609 Illinois". A quick search indicates that it might be a reference to the Spiegel catalog and the game shows may have been Hollywood Squares and/or Let's Make a Deal.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 am So am I the only one here for whom "Swanson" is entirely Pavlovian for broth? I had no idea they also made TV dinners and went with Banquet.
That was a great guess. Way better than Butterball. (Not dissin' the champ here, just me and the missus who made that response.) Yeah Swanson seems to have mostly disappeared from the freezer aisle, at least around here. They still do chicken pot pies (and maybe turkey as well, in honor of their origin). But they're not the big name in frozen dinners anymore. Banquet seems to have replaced them.

I don't know if Swanson is Pavlovian for broth for me, but it certainly works in the other direction. Broth + brand name = Swanson. I don't think I could come up with any other answers, even though I know I've bought other brands because they had lower sodium content or something. Unless those were house brands or generics. Either way, nothing sticks in my head except Swanson's in the blue and white can.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:11 am I'll keep hacking until the actual image posts, or until I give up and go full Penguin.
Never Go Full Penguin - with text (640x362).jpg
Never Go Full Penguin - with text (640x362).jpg (38.62 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:08 am So am I the only one here for whom "Swanson" is entirely Pavlovian for broth? I had no idea they also made TV dinners and went with Banquet.
Not your fault in this case, likely just a generational thing. According to Wiki all Swanson tv dinners were rebranded as Hungry Man, and their breakfast line was rebranded as Aunt Jemima leaving the Swanson name only on Pot Pies. (I assume that means in the freezer section, as you say, Swanson broths still exsist.)
Gemini Bowie
Contributor

Post by Gemini Bowie »

Why is Sawnson's an acceptable answer, especially in FJ, when the company is Sawnson?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Adaptation and Brink's.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Operation, Caltech, Charlie Puth, Moose, Dearborn, Cleveland, Brian Mulroney, Public Enemy, Rachel Platten, Robert Galbraith, (Pablo Neruda), Yellow, Kansas, Loyalists, (Theresa May)
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Blah. Lots of morbeedo sit-and-stares, a few trash pick-ups and still 4/4 on the big clues, so I might have won this game, but blah

Damn Rachel Platten, I miss her every damn time she comes up anywhere
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:36 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:34 am What was the TOM for Cleveland?
Case Western is there.
And the Cleveland Clinic.
I've never heard of Rachel Platten or her song, but the name Charlie Puth has stayed with me because of that odd last name and the way it's pronounced...I don't know any of his oeuvre though... :roll:
I'm definitely in the demographic to have eaten those things, but for some reason, Birdseye is what came up for me in FJ and I didn't second guess. I thought the brand made sense if they were originally poultry purveyors...I slid past that it was the name of their founder... :oops: Probably if I'd repeated the phrase TV dinner a few times like an incantation the right brand would have popped to mind... :roll:
EDIT: No, of course I've heard that "fight song" thing, never bothered to wonder who sang it...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:06 pm
Case Western is there.
I've never heard of Rachel Platten or her song, but the name Charlie Puth has stayed with me because of that odd last name and the way it's pronounced...I don't know any of his oeuvre though... :roll:
I'm definitely in the demographic to have eaten those things, but for some reason, Birdseye is what came up for me in FJ and I didn't second guess. I thought the brand made sense if they were originally poultry purveyors...I slid past that it was the name of their founder... :oops: Probably if I'd repeated the phrase TV dinner a few times like an incantation the right brand would have popped to mind... :roll:
Clarence Birdseye is widely considered the father of frozen food in general, easy to mix up with the inventor of frozen dinners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:06 pm
Case Western is there.
NHO either one.