Monday, January 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, January 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, January 6, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This book defines its own title as “concern for one’s own safety in the face of dangers… was the process of a rational mind”

Karen Farrell: 19800+0=19800 (8x = $159,603)
Sayeed Akhtar: 2000-19=1981
Kristin Carter: 9600-9599=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Catch-22 (Sayeed – What is ?) (Kristin – I’m Ok You’re OK)

Daily Doubles
Karen: 800-1000
Karen: 9600+2000
Karen: 14000+3000

Coryats
Karen: 19000
Sayeed: 2000
Kristin: 9600

Combined: 30,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Karen: 8800
Sayeed: 800
Kristin: 1600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After clue 3 Karen was in the red and in last place as she blew DD1. The loss was only $1000 as Karen only got half of the Anna Karenina cities. She got the non-capital and then said nothing for the second part. Alex was as incredulous as viewers with, "Go for the obvious..."

It did not matter as Karen got the more important DD2 & DD3 to the good on the way to locking the match. I hate it when the DJ! round ends with 19800 to 9600 and clues remaining that could or could not make a difference. Today Karen had another sole solve for no difference whether the 3 x $400 played or not.

The FJ! category had me write two precalls and one of them turned out to be the correct response. If you don't know the other one I precalled then you do not watch J! enough.

The FJ! clue had my 2-item precall list handy as I looked at the titles and the correct work stood out as the better choice. It probably did not matter, but perhaps I was slightly influenced by watching the Golden Globes with today's correct response nominated for a couple of awards. Or it's only fair I got it right since I had put the Hulu series in a current events post last year?

8 wins no matter how it is done is quite impressive.

Karen's position for the FJ! round is: L+1+L+L+1+1+L+L

while:
Spoiler
Jennifer Quail was: L+1+L+1+L+L+1+L+2
We'll see if Karen can maintain her streak of always leading for the FJ! round.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

FJ for me was what I'd call an "instaguess".... I came to it right away, was not super comfortable with it, but couldn't think of anything better so I wrote it down and was pleasantly surprised.

Mark: was your other precall adapted to a 1975 Oscar-winning movie?
Golf

Post by Golf »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am Mark: was your other precall adapted to a 1975 Oscar-winning movie?
I was thinking Kansas.

Trying to figure out why Kristin would throw away $1k with her FJ wager. Although there are times and contestants where I would take a flyer like this on bad math under the lights.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:34 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:46 am Mark: was your other precall adapted to a 1975 Oscar-winning movie?
I was thinking Kansas.

Trying to figure out why Kristin would throw away $1k with her FJ wager. Although there are times and contestants where I would take a flyer like this on bad math under the lights.
At some point either in the mental precall game (not writing) or during think time I did briefly think of the Kesey and Capote works. Those are reasonable to be in the top 10 if not closer to top 5 for expected works J! might use in the FJ! round for 1960s NOVELS. My #1 should be even more obvious.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 pm
I was thinking Kansas.

At some point either in the mental precall game (not writing) or during think time I did briefly think of the Kesey and Capote works. Those are reasonable to be in the top 10 if not closer to top 5 for expected works J! might use in the FJ! round for 1960s NOVELS. My #1 should be even more obvious.
It's a sin not to tell us.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

3/5 for me in HIP-HOP FEUDS and I'll gladly take that any day on J! For at least being familiar with the artist names mentioned in clues or responses I was 8/9 with Canibus the only NHOH. For songs familiarity it was 2/4 as "Nail In The Coffin" and "No Vaseline" rang no bells and I went a step further to listen to as much as I could stand of each.

For the contestants it was 2 for Karen and 2 for Sayeed with no negs and only the $2000 clue a TS. Nice work by the writers as the category went better than Michigan did last week.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 pm
I was thinking Kansas.

It's a sin not to tell us.
:lol: Good one and yes, of course.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was thinking Kansas.

Facing an about to be eight day winner is unlikely to be one of these.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Gotta love her, but Karen is giving conservatism a bad name with these FJ wagers.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:53 pm Gotta love her, but Karen is giving conservatism a bad name with these FJ wagers.
It's odd to make that point in a game thread where her max safe bet would have been 599.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:58 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:53 pm Gotta love her, but Karen is giving conservatism a bad name with these FJ wagers.
It's odd to make that point in a game thread where her max safe bet would have been 599.
I mentioned it the other day, and this one is of a piece with her other wagers.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Knute Rockne, All American" seemed like a tough pick for the top box.

How do they always pick the only Spanish words I don't know ("raza" this time)?

Can't say I recognize the word "endgame".

Hip-Hop Feuds felt extremely YEKIOYD. I got only Eminem after blanking on LL Cool J, but no hope on the rest.

Ran Birds in the Bible.

I completely froze on this FJ! Tried for a good five minutes but the gears just weren't turning at all. It was obvious after the fact.

Lach Trash: "All About the Benjamins", ostrich, Champlain, hen
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Nothing fancy, nothing flashy, just slow steady domination. I could get used to this.

Not sure what it says about me, but the bible birds were miles over my head (1/5), while that hip-hop feuds category was an easy 5/5 :lol:

Instaget FJ.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $35,000 (41R, 1W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: St. Petersburg & Moscow (DD), ostrich, Champlain, Thailand

I’m enjoying Karen’s steady dominance, but getting annoyed at all the leftover clues.

Instaget FJ for me, studied the book in 12th grade and recognized the theme immediately.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I was thinking Kansas.

Alex told her and us that it was "a runaway" (i.e. lock) game. That should be Pavlovian for "you can't catch up, even by throwing all your money at it."

For Kristin's FJ wager, go figure....

As for FJ for me, I'm usually a bit flummoxed by long, wordy clues. I see them and have a gut aversion to having to wade through a swamp of words. Fortunately I stuck with this one long enough to think, "Oh, that sounds familiar." Even without having read the book, I know enough about the plot and characters that this one came to me in plenty of time.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:10 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:58 pm
I mentioned it the other day, and this one is of a piece with her other wagers.

Someone mentioned one of the other famous contestants (Austin Rogers?) said he bet $0 on runaways because he didn't want to bother expending any mental energy wagering, to get ready for the next game. Honestly, for $600, when you've already accumulated almost $160K, it's understandable to take a pass on wagering. Imagine if she miscalculated and wagered $799 instead of $599, and it worked. That's a MUCH bigger mistake - costing her at LEAST tens of thousands of dollars - just to make $799.

The bigger deal to me is Kristin handing over half of her winnings to Sayeed. Alex always informs first place if it's a runaway - why not second and third, too? Maybe she was banking on Karen going full Clavin. (You never go full Clavin!)

For FJ!, I had "Dangerous at any Speed", knowing that I was wrong because it wasn't a novel, but at least trying to come up with something in the 60s. And, of course, I flubbed the first word - but it was dead wrong anyway. I've heard of "Catch 22", but really didn't know anything other than the title and that it was a book that was later turned into a movie - which is a J! favorite.

Didn't know the Anna Karenina DD, but played along to guess - and, like Alex urged Karen to do, I went with the two most obvious answers - St. Petersburg and Moscow. No way in hell I would have buzzed in on it, but if I'd stumbled upon the DD, would have been my barely-educated guess...so, Alex does have a point. SAY SOMETHING!

Many movie titles I can remember, but for some, the title will never stick - "Something's Gotta Give" was one I knew I had problems with, and now "The Kids Are All Right" joints that. "Hulk in a love triangle with Peeta's lesbian parents" was all I could get.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Kudos to Sayeed for the accurate pronunciation of "vitae" (wee Thai).