GOAT Tournament Day 1 (1/7/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 1 (1/7/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Keeping James away from the DDs was the key to the game.

FJ1 took me a bit but I got there. No chance on FJ2.

What did Ken say on the Castro clue?
jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I'm rooting for James to win the next match tomorrow and then take the next two after that.

That said, I thought GOAT was going to use the current music package from the syndicated series. But I was impressed by the new arrangements of the main theme and think music, especially since they're both in the same key. I'd say that the music package is heavier sounding because it's the matchup of the big three super-champions.
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Holy hot damn, Brad Rutter lost a match of Jeopardy! against two meatbags. The People's Champ, Ken Jennings, wins night one. That alone is probably the biggest J! news of the modern era.
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:11 pm What did Ken say on the Castro clue?
Ramon, not Raul Castro.
goongas

Post by goongas »

boson wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:10 pm I'm with Alex - that think music seemed short. Did anyone time it?
I just timed it, 30 seconds.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I will admit, I expected James to steamroll over the other two... but Ken showed that he's still got it.

I had all the same wrong guesses as Brad on the DDs and FJ, except I got the Potemkin one. So annoyed that I couldn't think of Shoemaker... couldn't get Hyakutake out of my head and guessed Hale.

32R in both games. No comment on how many I got wrong...
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Great performances by all three players! I should start watching the show regularly again because there were so many clues that I should have known or just was not fast enough on (e.g. Boris Gudonov, Bulfinch, Rutherford).

For the most part I thought that the clues were well written and of appropriate difficulty. "Charter school" was definitely overvalued at the bottom of the board, and I seem to remember thinking 1 or 2 other clues between the two games were overvalued.

I wasn't a fan of the philosophy category, though I may be biased since I am much better at naming philosophers then I am at recalling vocabulary words from philosophy. I would have to see the clue again but I thought that the William James DD was poorly worded and misleading; I was trying to think of a name like "Jean-Jacques Rousseau" or "Peter Paul Rubens."

I went with Peter the Great over Ivan the Terrible.

The Jazz DD that Brad missed struck me as kind of obscure, though that it is definitely not my category.

I had no idea on FJ 1.

My precalls for FJ 2 were Oort and Kuiper, so I was on the right path. I could name exactly 3 comets: Halley's, Hale Bopp, and Shoemaker-Levy 9. I was pretty sure that Shoemaker-Levy 9 had crashed into Jupiter, and since I could safely eliminate the other two it just came down to picking the correct name of the two. Luckily I did!

Ken looked extremely sharp until towards the end of the DJ round of game 2. I can't wait to see how the rest of the tournament plays out! It really is a pleasure to watch those three compete.
Last edited by StevenH on Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Great game. Tough questions (ugh. missed the astronomers final).

Go Ken!

I wonder about the strategy of a true DD every time... If your success rate is low, you lose. Going all in didn't work for Brad, so he might want to change the strategy. On the other hand, it didn't seem to slow James or Ken down. Maybe Brad just needs to know more stuff? (I can't believe I'm saying that).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had no rooting interest here.

Not unexpected that Ken and Brad managed to hog the DDs.

Noticed that James' name graphic changed in the second game.

====

Game 1:

"Civic" is one of those words I've heard all the time but never could define. NHO "civics" class though.

"Bitchin'" made me crack up, as did "I have more experience with losing to Brad Rutter".

I got all but zither in Musical instruments.

I was not expecting to do well in DJ!, and indeed got only 6. But that's 6 more than I expected, and I've had regular-play games where I've completely skunked DJ!, so yay me?

Gospel according to John, and "silent" is in there? Uh, I believe that is "In the beginning was the word".

====

Game 2:

Ran Toy Story, got all but $1,000 in Geo-Verse. Not bad.

Disappointed that I blanked on Vince Guaraldi.

No guess on FJ! NHO the correct response.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

---
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Wow! Team Ken!

I knew Beale street was in Memphis but couldn’t come up with the other B

I was just flipping through the archive today and saw a FJ about 2 bible books starting with the same 3 words - that helped me with 50% of FJ1 tonight

Vronsky is a character in Anna Karenina, amirite?

Hats off to all three for knowing some tough material
brick

Post by brick »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:12 pm Holy hot damn, Brad Rutter lost a match of Jeopardy! against two meatbags. The People's Champ, Ken Jennings, wins night one. That alone is probably the biggest J! news of the modern era.
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:11 pm What did Ken say on the Castro clue?
Ramon, not Raul Castro.
Ten seconds earlier I said Ramon and then my partner said Raul. So that was comical.
Golf

Post by Golf »

boson wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:17 pm I wonder about the strategy of a true DD every time... If your success rate is low, you lose. Going all in didn't work for Brad, so he might want to change the strategy. On the other hand, it didn't seem to slow James or Ken down. Maybe Brad just needs to know more stuff? (I can't believe I'm saying that).
Short term variance. You don't change from the proper strategy because of it.

Enjoyable boards for the most part, tougher than standard but not overly so. Ken seems to really want this, I like the fire he showed tonight in both the games and the getting to know you.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

Wow. That was a lot of fun. Go team Ken! (But everyone was impressive.) Most fun I've had watching in a long time.

Ken had a whole episode of his podcast on Patrick Nagel, so that was a lot of fun to see pop up.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Unlike his two adversaries, Ken has never won a tournament, so I love the fact that he had this fire of determination inside him. He came so close to beating Brad in the Battle Of The Decades, but missed the final. I am really hoping this will be his first tournament win after two more victories under his belt.
Just a person who loves game shows.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 pm Ken may regret not going bigger on FJ.
My thoughts, exactly. Before this is over, I predict Ken loses a match because he goes small on a DD or FJ, then James goes huge on a future DD to get enough to take control. James only needed a ~$6k lead in the second game to have the lead, and if he catches a DD, he gets that.

Lot of fun to watch though. Unlike other posters, I hated the new think music.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

soxfan99 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:14 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:29 pm Ken may regret not going bigger on FJ.
My thoughts, exactly. Before this is over, I predict Ken loses a match because he goes small on a DD or FJ, then James goes huge on a future DD to get enough to take control. James only needed a ~$6k lead in the second game to have the lead, and if he catches a DD, he gets that.

Lot of fun to watch though. Unlike other posters, I hated the new think music.
He ends things early if he goes all in. I was paying close attention near the end of the second game to see if James could cross that threshold.

I hated the jazzed up version of the music as well.

Thanks to the person who answered my Castro question. I thought he said Raul but just a bit off. I am in a hotel so I can’t rewind.

What was the taping schedule for this? Was it just one match (two games) per day?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Golf wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:48 pm
boson wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:17 pm I wonder about the strategy of a true DD every time... If your success rate is low, you lose. Going all in didn't work for Brad, so he might want to change the strategy. On the other hand, it didn't seem to slow James or Ken down. Maybe Brad just needs to know more stuff? (I can't believe I'm saying that).
Short term variance. You don't change from the proper strategy because of it.
Going for a true DD is only proper strategy if you (and your opponents) are very likely to get it right. If your opponents are going to miss the DDs, then you are better off not betting much when you get one to lessen the risk.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I hated the jazzed up version of the music as well.
I liked it, but don't think it is appropriate for regular J! as it is too dramatic...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I'm team Brad, but I enjoyed this joke from Twitter. I wonder if the check mark stays for tomorrow's show? (Probably just for FJ.)

This is from Ken Jennings's Junior Genius Guide to Outer Space. I wonder if this is one of the children's book James studied to prep for the show?

polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

Come on James... find those Daily Doubles.

I like how everyone is bouncing around a bit now (still a little bit of staying in a category after a DD has been found there, but can't win 'em all)... don't know why it took 35 years to figure this out, Forrest had it down pat, but it seems only with James demonstrated to the general public how important it is to do.

Good to see Ken with some more aggressive wagering. He could get away with 2 out of 3 (he had knowledge, and he had buzzer speed, he did not have strategy) back in the day, but now he is 3 for 3. Definitely still rooting for James, but glad the OG superchamp is still active.

Terrible choice for Brad to start in a wordplay category... is there any example of something Ken is more dominant at? (To this day, I recall "Names to initials to Roman numerals" and shudder... not that I was blown away by how hard it was, but rather by just how fast he nabbed them.) Then again, James snagged one of them, so what do I know.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:39 pmMaybe James has paid attention to criticism about interrupting Alex on his correct responses and is more watchable now.
I certainly hope not. The villain persona is what makes me like him (also the gambler persona). Moreover, I don't even think it's fair to call interrupting Alex villainous... if the game show producers wanted to make this a civil game for gentlemen, where unspoken rules and decorum are followed, the host is uninterrupted, and (I go slightly off-topic as you may not feel strongly about this next point one way or the other, but the principle is the same) categories are done top-to-bottom and DD wagers are (small) multiples of $1,000, then don't put a million dollars on the line