GOAT Tournament Day 2 (1/8/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 2 (1/8/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

James got his redemption and beat Ken Jennings tonight; but at the same time, they both beat Brad Rutter on the signaling device. And Brad finished DJ! with a negative score in the second game, and couldn't play in the FJ! round. However, he was still at his lectern, and normally, the player eliminated for FJ! isn't on the set during that segment.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:23 pm ...
Ken Jennings 12200+6200=18400+45000=63400 (Winner)
Ken finished with 40,000 after game 1.
It looks like game 2 for Ken was copied into the game 4 line. It's fixed. Thank you.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

These guys truly are amazing. Brad is uncharacteristicLY looking slow and inaccurate here. Well... he did get beaten soundly by Alex Jacob in the all star tournament, so perhaps the $5M that he's won from trivia has slightly reduced the desire to win.

James looks super strong. Ken does too, but somehow James seems unbeatable in DD and FJ questions.

DD hunting is way too easy for these guys: so far the first question picked in 3 out of 4 DJ rounds has been the DD.

Kept my own Coryat score today: 31,400 game one; 20,600 game two. These are hard boards, and I feel humbled.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

And by the way, it was Bleeding Fingers Music who scored the music package for GOAT.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Game 1:

54 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Nitwit, Good Day Sir, Le Monde

Bit on the Goldwyn negbait on "Gold" "Berg" $600. Unsurprisingly, I failed the celebrity recognition test in Charities $600. The College Football category was a disaster for me as there was no way I was getting the bottom three. Eric Utne was my only miss in the DJ! board.

Game 2:

58 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (22), Gallatin, John Hume, Debbie Harry

One Step At a Time was my only miss in SJ!, and Predator was my only miss in DJ!. Those character names weren't familiar to me at all.
Douglas Squasoni
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:15 pm And by the way, it was Bleeding Fingers Music who scored the music package for GOAT.
They're most famous for doing the music for "The Simpsons" for the past couple years, having replaced the show's longtime composer/music director Alf Clausen (who is currently suing Fox for age discrimination over this).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

James: What is Green Bay?
Alex: Yeah.
James: [With thumbs down] Boo!

I'm Mark Barrett and I approve this message.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:53 pm One Step At a Time was my only miss in SJ!, and Predator was my only miss in DJ!. Those character names weren't familiar to me at all.
It's One Day At a Time.

For FJ #2 I had Napoleon and King George III. I blame the Bugs Bunny where he "teaches" his nephew Cyde about American History for making me think George III was short. :D
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Funny thing ... I just recently started listening to Ken's Omnibus podcast. I'm going through the entire back catalog and the episode I was listening to last night actually had a discussion between Ken and John about which of Madison or Monroe was the taller. Granted that happened 3 or 4 years ago, but I still figured Ken would have remembered that.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I am hoping against hope that Brad gets it together and wins Game 3.

James is so great at FJ that part of me is expecting him to LOSE to Ken in the decisive match on a FJ miss.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i figured there would be 2 keys to this tournament...

1. Who could get to the Buzzer first

2. Who got the Daily Doubles

James is succeeding at both enough. Brad is beating beat on the buzzer big time. Missing the DDs arent helping him.

I got "Good Day, Sir" Very easily.

7 clues right in game 1 , 8 in game 2.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:53 am
For FJ #2 I had Napoleon and King George III. I blame the Bugs Bunny where he "teaches" his nephew Cyde about American History for making me think George III was short. :D
I wrote Napoleon and Wellington then said wait, that’s not a world leader, tried to think of the contemporary British royal and then time was up. Never even considered an American president
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:22 am
I wrote Napoleon and Wellington then said wait, that’s not a world leader, tried to think of the contemporary British royal and then time was up. Never even considered an American president
Wellington was going to be PM, however.

I think the key way to approach this is to look at the name of the envoy. That seems like a pretty classical American name. That should tell you one of the leaders is an American.

Napoleon you’re just gonna have to guess based on him being short, of course. But “short guy who was a major political leader of the 19th century” should be Pavlovian.

As for the American, the big question in my mind is whether or not you go with Madison, who is known for being very short, versus Jefferson, who had more to talk about with Napoleon. There it helps to know that Jefferson was over 6 feet tall.

Ken’s guess of Monroe doesn’t make any sense, as Monroe became president after Waterloo. I tend to think he just got his wires crossed.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

gnash wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:41 pm Watching these matches is pure joy. Hard to think of a competitive activity in which 3 legitimate GOATs could compete against each other while all, more or less, in their prime.
You’ve been missing some mind-boggling good tennis.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Le Master wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:32 am
gnash wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:41 pm Watching these matches is pure joy. Hard to think of a competitive activity in which 3 legitimate GOATs could compete against each other while all, more or less, in their prime.
You’ve been missing some mind-boggling good tennis.
Of course those three aren't typically on the court at the same time. :)
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Austin Powers wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:28 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:22 am
Wellington was going to be PM, however.

I think the key way to approach this is to look at the name of the envoy. That seems like a pretty classical American name. That should tell you one of the leaders is an American.

Napoleon you’re just gonna have to guess based on him being short, of course. But “short guy who was a major political leader of the 19th century” should be Pavlovian.

As for the American, the big question in my mind is whether or not you go with Madison, who is known for being very short, versus Jefferson, who had more to talk about with Napoleon. There it helps to know that Jefferson was over 6 feet tall.

Ken’s guess of Monroe doesn’t make any sense, as Monroe became president after Waterloo. I tend to think he just got his wires crossed.
How is Joel Barlow more American than British? How different were British names from American in ~1800? I fully admit I didn't know that Madison was short (should have!), but I think the name sends you to Britain or USA - after than knowledge of presidential trivia gets you there.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:41 pm 1969-72 Fisher
Oh, Gnash, you of all people?!?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can someone tell me how they got to Communist Manifesto from the clue? I had nothing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:55 am Can someone tell me how they got to Communist Manifesto from the clue? I had nothing.
Famous European document from the 19th century that seemed to be pointing to shaking up the existing system is what got me there. I wasn't super confident, but couldn't think of anything else that fit.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:59 am
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:55 am Can someone tell me how they got to Communist Manifesto from the clue? I had nothing.
Famous European document from the 19th century that seemed to be pointing to shaking up the existing system is what got me there. I wasn't super confident, but couldn't think of anything else that fit.
I think you had to recognize Metternich and/or Guizot to get you to the 19th century. Otherwise, it was an influential (probably European) document of indeterminate age.