GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 3 (1/9/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

As much a fan of James as I am, it's getting hard to deny that Ken is easily the GOAT player based off his performances so far. I may not really care for him as much as I do James or Brad, but objectively speaking, damn, he truly is something else.

Of course Brad or James could easily turn things around here, but as of now, it seems like Ken is the one who is going to be most likely to take the crown. I suppose it's fitting given that he was the earliest of these 3 players to be thought of as being "the greatest".
Looking into it, Ken would definitely be the one to be thought of as the greatest because he owns the longest winning streak (74 games), and he accumulated more money than anyone else in regular competition (not counting tournaments). Most of Brad's success is from winning prestigious tournaments, most notably the Million Dollar Masters, the '05 UToC, and the Battle of the Decades. And on the other hand, James obliterated several records and almost accumulated the amount Ken won in less than half the time.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:41 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:10 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 am Nope, he just drifted away I suppose. Hasn't been on in nearly two years. I can't say I'm unhappy about that.
I mean... should we check obits?
I just found a comment he made on a post on the Facebook page of "It's Academic" six months ago, and his most recent tweet (directed at Constance McCashin, as most of his tweets are) was in August. (I don't know if anyone else here is aware of his identity, but in the wake of Leonard Cooper's Teen Tournament win he posted with his FB account in the comments of an article about it, and Stephanie Jass, having seen my interaction with him on the board on the same topic, directed me to it in a PM. Between having a name and a face to go with his posts, and the negative responses in the J!Board thread from posters who are better people than I am, I now feel gross about having egged him on.)
He also posted a question to answers.microsoft.com on Jan 1, so its a fairly safe bet that he’s still on this mortal coil
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:41 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:10 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 am Nope, he just drifted away I suppose. Hasn't been on in nearly two years. I can't say I'm unhappy about that.
I mean... should we check obits?
I just found a comment he made on a post on the Facebook page of "It's Academic" six months ago, and his most recent tweet (directed at Constance McCashin, as most of his tweets are) was in August. (I don't know if anyone else here is aware of his identity, but in the wake of Leonard Cooper's Teen Tournament win he posted with his FB account in the comments of an article about it, and Stephanie Jass, having seen my interaction with him on the board on the same topic, directed me to it in a PM. Between having a name and a face to go with his posts, and the negative responses in the J!Board thread from posters who are better people than I am, I now feel gross about having egged him on.)
I don’t know what he said about those two but I suspect I am better off not knowing.

Putting down GHOST does come off as being in somewhat poor taste, but I don’t think James meant anything by it. I think Alex was mocking anger about him having Pat Sajak on there. Remember, Alex also made comments about Cindy Stowell “staying alive” during her games.

FJ1 was easy for me. I had always thought the DR Party sort of morphed into the modern Democratic Party during the Jackson era and never considered them defunct. But there was nothing else to choose from.

I had desktop for the D in BYOD.

Some of these clues seemed a bit simple for a GOAT Tournament. I’m OK, You’re OK for the bottom row? And identifying George Burns by his picture? And Morticia Addams was a TS? What did they watch after school as a kid?

No chance on FJ2 for me.

I would love to see Ken finally win a tournament to solidify his GOAT status. Due to work and travel, I won’t be able to see next week’s games until Friday and I am sure I will be spoiled on who won. I had to see the last two matches on delay and already knew who won each of them. At least Boomer was the only clue that was spoiled.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:32 pm...
Some of these clues seemed a bit simple for a GOAT Tournament. I’m OK, You’re OK for the bottom row? And identifying George Burns by his picture? And Morticia Addams was a TS? What did they watch after school as a kid?
Snap. Snap.
OCSam
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

polaris wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:55 pm "21st century" being part of the clue was neither helpful nor unhelpful to me since I knew it anyways, but a rather interesting fact is that over half of the Best Director Oscars this century went to foreign born people.
It's actually two-thirds, right? Of the Best Director awards for 2001 to 2018 inclusive, only 6 went to US-born directors: Ron Howard (2001); Clint Eastwood (2004); Martin Scorsese (2006); the Coen Brothers (2007); Kathryn Bigelow (2009); and Damien Chazelle (2016). The other 12 awards went to directors born in Mexico (5), Taiwan (2), the U.K. (2), France (2), and New Zealand (1).
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:17 pm
gnash wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:56 am I think the most notable takeaway from the third match is that Ken has adopted James's (objectively correct) betting strategy with full success, while James has adopted Ken's risky buzzing with far less success. Now, I'm on record saying that James may have buzzed too conservatively in his regular run (too many games with 0 incorrect suggest he probably didn't buzz in on some clues he knew), but Ken's "what the hell, I'll buzz in and figure it out" approach has been kind of the opposite extreme. It may not be bad for Ken with his specific recall pattern, but is doubtful as a general recommendation. I have a feeling that James did not systematically prepare to modify his trigger level, but only decided to be more aggressive when he saw that Ken was outbuzzing him (AND did not leave money on the table). But then he hasn't gauged it to his optimal comfort as he's done with other aspects of the game.

In other words, if Ken wins the GOAT title, it will be because Ken outjamesed James and James couldn't outken Ken.
This is a nice analysis, Gnash.
Yeah, this is pretty spot on. When James was on his run, there were interviews with Ken about how he (Ken) probably should have played more like James in hindsight. Pre-James, I don't think there's any way we see as many true DDs being wagered in a tournament like this. Now, they take their shot, knowing they have the chops to back it up (usually)
Now swimming in the J! pool.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Mathew5000 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:53 pm
polaris wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:55 pm "21st century" being part of the clue was neither helpful nor unhelpful to me since I knew it anyways, but a rather interesting fact is that over half of the Best Director Oscars this century went to foreign born people.
It's actually two-thirds, right? Of the Best Director awards for 2001 to 2018 inclusive, only 6 went to US-born directors: Ron Howard (2001); Clint Eastwood (2004); Martin Scorsese (2006); the Coen Brothers (2007); Kathryn Bigelow (2009); and Damien Chazelle (2016). The other 12 awards went to directors born in Mexico (5), Taiwan (2), the U.K. (2), France (2), and New Zealand (1).
Nice fact! However, Steve Soderbergh (2000) also won in the 21st century - on March 25, 2001. So 7 of 19 21st-century awards went to American-born directors. Yet, almost half the winners (8 out of 17) were American-born.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:53 pmSteve Coogan
I'm a fan but had a hard time with that clue because he looks so much younger in the picture they showed than what he looks like today.