GOAT Tournament Day 4 (1/14/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

GOAT Tournament Day 4 (1/14/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 J! Round
Archivists

Re: GOAT Tournament Day 4 (1/14/20) Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game 1 DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 J! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Game 2 DJ! Round
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

James: 34181 44000 78181 122181
Ken:   65600 23000 88600 111600
Brad:      0  1400  1400   2800
James: Bet 33,420 to cover Ken.
Ken: James will fall behind your day 1 total if he covers you and misses. Bet what you want (but maybe less than 10,419 to stay above James's current cumulative total).
Brad: You are superlocked into third place. Bet what you want.

Note: sorry for getting in ahead of theFJguy!

edit: recommended 10,000 too little for James, fixed
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Game 1:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
IT'S ALL GREECE TO ME

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This area of Greece, home to Pan, is synonymous with a rural paradise; it's a setting for Virgil's shepherd poems the "Eclogues"

James Holzhauer 22800+11381=34181
Ken Jennings 32800+32800=65600
Brad Rutter 2000-2000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Arcadia (Brad - Bucolia)

Daily Doubles
Ken 3800+3800
Brad 4800-4800
Ken 15200+15200

Coryats
James 22,800
Ken 16,400
Brad 6,800

Combined: 46,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James 4,400
Ken 12,800
Brad 2,400

Game 2:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE'S TRAGEDIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He has 272 speeches, the most of any non-title character in a Shakespeare tragedy

James Holzhauer 44000-44000=0+34181=34181
Ken Jennings 23000+0=23000+65600=88600 (Winner)
Brad Rutter 1400-0=1400+0=1400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Iago (Brad - You're the best, Alex!) (James - Horatio)

Daily Doubles
Ken 1000-1000
Ken 8800+5000
James 20200+20200

Coryats
James 25,400
Ken 21,000
Brad 1,400

Combined: 47,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
James 8,200
Ken 5,600
Brad 1,000
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What happened to my post?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm What happened to my post?
It was a major spoiler prior to it airing in the US, so I removed it. Now that it has aired, you are welcome to re-post it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I am breathing a big sigh of relief.

And that comment. Totally uncalled for.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Ken on prevailing! It was truly a spectacular series of performances.

I had Maxwell on that DD, but I had a bad feeling that Brad was going to lock in on an English scientist.

I had no idea on FJ 1.

When Shakespeare was revealed as the category for the second FJ I knew that it was over. I will never forget Ken's $75,000 game where he nailed the Shakespeare FJ and said later on that Shakespeare was a dream category for him. It was also funny to see a clue on James Buchanan tonight.

I thought that Adlai Stevenson and Hannibal Hamlin were overvalued. I also wasn't a fan of that Roman numerals to names or the "we are family" or whatever that category was.

I thought of Iago first on FJ, but then decided that it had to be someone from Hamlet and guessed Polonius.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I don't think I've uttered the words "holy $#*!" so many times in an hour of J!. Wasn't expecting Ken to go all-in on the first FJ, and wasn't expecting James to miss the second.

Congrats to Ken. FINALLY won a big match. Despite what Alex said, I don't actually believe this is the last time we'll see any of them.

I wonder how this would've turned out if James' well-known playstyle hadn't forced Ken and Brad to hunt for and go big on DDs.

Poor Brad. At least he pronounced Aaron Burr properly :D

Instaget on Iago, nowhere close to Arcadia.
brick

Post by brick »

I gasped. I really thought that answer was very obvious and was surprised when James didn’t have it.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:05 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm What happened to my post?
It was a major spoiler prior to it airing in the US, so I removed it. Now that it has aired, you are welcome to re-post it.
The entire thread is marked "spoiler."

I suspect that the debate in forums like this one about who is the greatest of all-time will continue. But I wonder if henceforth Brad will be left out of those discussions. His performance in the tournament was not up to speed. Even so, it was not sporting for James to call attention to Brad not scoring in the first game.

We've learned that James's strategy is very effective at knocking out middle-aged women from Dubuque, but it is not especially competitive with the likes of the greatest. If the other contestants know in advance that he is going to hit the high-dollar clues first, they can do it too, and if they can keep the Daily Doubles away from him, that basically ruins his strategy.

The key to this game was basically James finding dd3 in the second match. If he had known Final Jeopardy, he would have won the match, and it would have been an exciting contest tomorrow with both Ken and James facing elimination. I correctly answered Iago myself and am amazed that all three of them didn't know that. I seem to remember reading that in the book of lists decades ago.

Many congratulations to Ken on being named goat. He is truly one of the only game show contestants of our time to become a household name. But in a more ominous note, why did Alex seem so certain that the three of them would never play again?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Never thought Brad will be so thoroughly outbuzzed. Ken and James were toe to toe. Congrats to Ken! James' comeback in game#2 was epic.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

HOLY GOAT!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 pm I am breathing a big sigh of relief.

And that comment. Totally uncalled for.
Whatever floridagator did or James about Brad's score still on there?

Nice by Brad to correctly say the name of the VP from the milk ad. Brad got his tail handed to him, but $250K on top of all the previous winnings makes it a little easier for him to take in good spirits.

James had a chance to make it go another night though I suspect (some adjective to the positive) advantage Ken on SHAKESPEARE'S TRAGEDIES. Thank you Ken for solving it to kick down the front door. 88600 for Ken in the match with the chance to have made it 111,600 on a double up or even 119,200 if he had not left 3800 on the table on DD2 in the second game tonight.

0/2 for me on the FJ! clues. I misspelled the first one with an extra S on Elysian Fields. For the tragedy I tried Brutus over picking a random name from Macbeth, King Lear or Hamlet.

Found one "Iago lines" hit although of course there could be other variations:

#584, aired 1987-03-05 OTHELLO $200: Of Othello, Iago, or Desdemona, character to whom Shakespeare gave the most lines

Four nights and done for 3-1 Ken to get the glory and trophy. Plus the payday of course. It may be Alex's last time with the gentlemen though I cannot imagine it's the last time playing J! for any of these GOAT competitors.

ABC needs to ignore the big ratings and not try to overexpose this kind of special prime time event with too many future ones as it may dull the viewing audience for normal play. I'm glad it happened while I'm fine with just the typical 30 show each weekday only.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Wish it had lasted longer, but happy with the outcome.

Otherwise, my main observation for the night is that "Screaming Popes" would be an awesome band name.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

For those of you that are veterans of the original Sony message boards and go WAY back to the days of Ken's initial run, you likely remember the woman that used to prepare complete recaps of each day's play (starting before Ken) and creating the format that is still used here to this day. Her name is Ronnie O'Rourke. Ronnie left the board during Ken's run because she was disgusted with all of the runaway wins and thought that Ken was doing irreparable harm to the game. Ronnie was also known for her (Imaginary?) companion. Amazingly, when I saw the correct response to the last FJ, she was the first person I thought about. I wonder if she was watching. :shock:
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

The most surprising takeaway from me about the entire tournament was not Brad not being able to buzz in against Ken and James, but his numerous wrong responses in DD finds.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

The key to this game was basically James finding dd3 in the second match. If he had known Final Jeopardy, he would have won the match, and it would have been an exciting contest tomorrow with both Ken and James facing elimination. I correctly answered Iago myself and am amazed that all three of them didn't know that. I seem to remember reading that in the book of lists decades ago.
I was shocked that James incorrectly responded and went all in; and yes, he would've forced a fifth match had he gotten the correct response.
Many congratulations to Ken on being named goat. He is truly one of the only game show contestants of our time to become a household name. But in a more ominous note, why did Alex seem so certain that the three of them would never play again?
Finally, Ken turns the tables on Brad after losing to him in the 2005 Ultimate Tournament of Champions, again in the Battle of the Decades tournament, and then the All-Star Games last year. But at the same time, I'm disappointed that James lost this tournament, especially once he missed FJ! and bet it all after making a comeback in game 2. However, I hope James and Brad will be brought back for another prestigious tournament soon (preferably on the regular syndicated version), competing with 7 or 13 other big time champions who were on the show between Ken's run and this past ToC (which James won by the way).
Last edited by jeopardyfan939 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.