Tuesday, January 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
About the size of West Virginia, Devon Island is the largest uninhabited island in the world & a possession of this country

Veronica Vichit-Vadakan: 17200+12801=30001 (2x = $52,000)
Alissa McKinney: 10600-7500=3100
Marlan Badgett: 15000+15000=30000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Canada (Alissa – United Kingdom)

Daily Doubles
Marlan: 1200+1200
Veronica: 11400+3000
Alissa: 5000+4000

Coryats
Veronica: 15800
Alissa: 8200
Marlan: 14600

Combined: 38,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Veronica: 6600
Alissa: 4200
Marlan: 7400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was wonderful to spot Maggie back on stage during the break before the FJ! round.

The clue with the reversal was in LET'S GET MARRIED $800: In England this rhyme about wedding attire ends with “and a silver sixpence in your shoe”

Marlan had: something borrowed, something blue

He was ruled wrong and Veronica got the rebound for: something old, something new

Marland got $1600 added back to his score after the break. My response was the combo of both Veronica's & Marlan's.

Even if the judging had been smoother to not allow Veronica the $800 rebound she still leads for the FJ! round. As good as Marlan was, he won't be back.

The J! round ended with the players' total at 18200 to be over the board value max.

The FJ! clue had me go the simpleton route with Alissa as I did Devon reminds me of Devonshire, England, so United Kingdom. Neighbor to the north was not on my radar and a clean miss to end my 11 in a row in regular play.

Nice double solve and no doubt Marlan could have won on many other occasions. It was a very enjoyable game as all the players shined in spots including each getting their DD correct.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

FJ was a slam dunk for me as
Spoiler
Canadian
geography is a strong suit of mine. I didn't pull it from the name of the island, but
Spoiler
There are so many large uninhabited islands and islands with only one settlement in Nunavut/NWT that it had to be it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Anagrammed US Cities and Exchange of Vowels, and surprisingly, Poems' Second Lines.

Had to take the neg on Drawing Quite the Crowd for $200 because I blanked on the Pope's name and I assumed just "the Pope" would get a BMS. Wound up getting, surprisingly, only $1,000.

NHO Hippolyta, nymphs, or Charybdis to my knowledge. Did they load that category in upside-down?

Also no hope for me in Foreign-Born Oscar Winners. Instant 0/5.

I call BS on that last clue being unrevealed. He didn't even give an LTaM!

No guess on FJ! Didn't see the slightest bit of a TOM. How did this go 2/3? What even was the tipoff?!

Lach Trash: bobby socks
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Wish I could say that I got FJ right due to some deep geographical knowledge, but honestly I just closed my eyes and pictured the world map, thought about where an uninhabited island the size of WV would be, and Canada jumped out. I'll take it.

Anagrams, vowels, and books/TV were $9k in free money, and then they served up a strangely easy poetry category. It's not my birthday yet, J! writers, but thanks.
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:28 pm
No guess on FJ! Didn't see the slightest bit of a TOM. How did this go 2/3? What even was the tipoff?!
Didn't know the answer off the top of my head. My reasoning was:

Devon is an England-related name.
Canada is the largest English-speaking country by area, and a large part of it is islands in cold northern latitudes that are likely be uninhabitable.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $37,000 (47R, 1W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: red dwarf, bobble

Amazing performance by all three, great game to watch. Only one Sagittarius shy of a perfect $18,000 Coryat in SJ. Managed 26/30 myself - ran Anagrams, Let’s Get Married and Exchange of Vowels (and then Museums in DJ).

Instaget FJ for me, but World Geography is a wheelhouse category, and Canadian Arctic islands even more so.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Figured UK was too obvious for FJ. So why did I go with Australia? :?
I had"Something borrowed, something blue". 8-)
Something for the weekly poll?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Very likable trio tonight. Props to Veronica for the Alpha Centauri get - I'd have been proud to get that in Learned League time. She gets some nice pulls - I never heard the word "busk".

Clues like this FJ are in a weird niche - not YEKIOYD, and not quite WECIB, but more of a MAWGTSA (Might as well guess the simplest answer), or HWN (Hell, Why Not?). I'm quite comfortable guessing Canada and will not be upset if it is ANYTHING else. That just means I wasn't going to get it. My thinnking was it obviously had to be some popsicle climate so that's Russia, Canada, or less likely Scandanavian / Denmark. The Anglo-name says guess Canada and hope.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Picked up LT for "bobble" tonight because, well, hell, I've been watching pro sports in Cleveland for 30+ years.... :roll:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $38600 (45 R, 0 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Memorizing Best Supporting Actors/Actresses is on my to-do list, there was an extra $3600 to be had if I had them in my back pocket. I dunno how I'm ever going to get good at TV categories...
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Judges:

My response to Let's Get Married for $1000 was "What is leaving the church down the aisle?" The clue didn't ask for the specific word and that is essentially what the recessional is. Thoughts?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Alicia Vikander, Bobble, Red Dwarf, Bobbysocks
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I need to think more on FJ!. I was going for quantity of islands over size - for some utterly ridiculous reason, I put Indonesia. I remember hearing some joke from a guy I know from Indonesia - it was something like "Indonesia has 17,000 islands at low tide, and 46 at high tide". So...one of them has to be the biggest, right? That's just statistics! And some of them have to be uninhabitable because of said tides. Meh. Go with the easy answer - I caught that the name seemed British, but UK seemed way too easy. If I'd gone one step further and thought of cold Commonwealth countries, I would have been there.

Casey at the bat. I'll have to remember that. I was confident enough to think it was going to be a reversal...but the reversal was on me. I did get the same reversal as Marlan - well, as both of them, because I would have gone with all four items of "something borrrowed..."

Ran mythology - "Between a Scylla and Charybdis" is a common way of saying "Between a rock and a hard place", basically two bad options. And a lot of stunningly easy wordplay - the anagrams and vowel exchanges I got 4/5, and could have easily picked up the last one in each if I were a millisecond quicker.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

My wild, stab in the dark guess for final was Denmark. Geography is not my strongest subject. My thinking was Denmark > Greenland > wild guess.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

DanKirshner wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:32 am My wild, stab in the dark guess for final was Denmark. Geography is not my strongest subject. My thinking was Denmark > Greenland > wild guess.
Not all that wild - I had the same thought process.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

The word "possession" in the FJ clue led to me taking the Greenland - Denmark path as well.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:43 pm Judges:

My response to Let's Get Married for $1000 was "What is leaving the church down the aisle?" The clue didn't ask for the specific word and that is essentially what the recessional is. Thoughts?
I'd give it to you.