Wednesday, January 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The Adam Schiff stumper was interesting. I wonder when this show was taped?

Seems like FJ played more difficult than I would have expected based on the posts here so far. I would have pegged this one at close to 90% in the weekly poll.

Kind of an ugly game overall tonight. Give credit to Veronica for getting it done!
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Coryat: $31,000 (37R, 1W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: skeleton, The Prince of Tides and The Great Santini, Rio Grande & Colorado, nuclear reactor, satellites, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, Hispaniola (DD)

A sad whiff on Final as The Little Prince was the only title I could think of.

A lot of 4/5 categories throughout the game, including missing the top box in both Team America and What Type of Machine am I? to prevent category runs. Only miss was guessing the Caribbean instead of the Pacific of the Paz River.

US Representatives was a lucky 1/5 for me; politics is not my strong suit.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:52 pm The Adam Schiff stumper was interesting. I wonder when this show was taped?
I came here to say the same thing. I ran the category (or, at least what was available - I did bomb the J!6 question sans options, which would be the J!5 question), but Schiff was a gimmie to anyone watching the impeachment inquiry hearings last November.

I lived two degrees of separation from the Chattahoochee River when I was younger - in Atlanta, right on Nancy Creek, which flows into Peachtree Creek, which flows into the Chattahoochee. Flooded my parents' basement, in fact, ruining all my board games.

This caused my scoresheet looks odd for rivers - I got that and gave myself credit for the DD...I started with "Dominica" and quickly corrected it to Hispanola. I can see why that's a DD...one second to get "the Dominican / Haiti", and another to get Hispanola. I bombed on the three easy clues, a testament to my inability to do geography - although I was joined by 3 stand and stares onscreen.

In fact, wow - the entire RIVERS category was max stumpage, given that it had a DD that was incorrect (but damn close, IMO).

In happy coincidences, about 3-4 clues were interrupted by local Boston news for an AMBER alert update, and AMBER popped up in DJ!. A girl was kidnapped in Springfield, Mass, but was found safe - that's what the interruption was for. I was at the theater tonight, and before the show there was a tsunami of alert noises.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Hands up: who else knew "Chattahoochee" from the Alan Jackson song like I did?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

No idea for FJ. Said The Phantom Tollbooth just to say something.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Did anyone else raise an eyebrow or two at a couple of responses from Laura?

Song about this Mideast city = Van Deiman's Land?

1963 children's book = The Fault in our Stars?

woof
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:30 am Hands up: who else knew "Chattahoochee" from the Alan Jackson song like I did?
I should have, since it's my go-to for knowing Chattahoochee -> Georgia, but I guess that bit of knowledge doesn't go the other way as easily.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 28,000
42 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Sojourner Truth (DD), pepper tree, skeleton, Colorado River & Rio Grande, Labrador, Steve Scalise, Chattahoochee River, Adam Schiff, Hispaniola (DD)

Five negs in DJ! ate me up, and I had nothing better than The Little Prince for FJ!, but at least I hit all the DDs.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Outchange continues.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

We had an Amber Alert flashing on the screen in our area when the Amber Alert clue came up. (Child has been located.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 pmI NHO "A Wrinkle in Time" until lately, I guess it's a movie or something. I will give myself an "OK Boomer".
Wrinkle in Time is a total Boomer book. It was published right at the end of the Boom just as tens of millions of Boomers were turning the right age to read it. They then grew up and became middle school teachers and assigned the book to their Gen X students* in order to infuse us with their idealism and goodheartedness. This was one of their more successful efforts since in general we loved the book. It just wasn't the kind of thing we could be cynical about. Then the Boomers grew up a little more and became the villains portrayed in the book, so by default A Wrinkle in Time became ours. But it started out as a Boomer book. And it could have stayed that way, or at least been shared, if the Boomers hadn't abandoned their own ideals (or, really, proved that they never had them and that "The Me Generation" was the most accurate label they'd ever received).

Or to put it in more Gen X terms. Meh. Whatever.

---------------
* Not that they called us that back then.** I was a married adult with a kid on the way by the time my generation got a label. I didn't even start identifying as Generation X until recently because I remember the early 90s when the term came into common use and it was clearly talking about people at least 5 years younger than I was. (I was born in 1965.) But lately I've realized I really do fit the demographic as the first generation to get screwed over by the Boomers and then ignored by them as they wage war against their doppleganger, the Millennials.

** Gen X, I mean, not students. I assume they called us students back then. But I also have a vague recollection of being a "pupil". You don't hear that one much anymore.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:55 am No idea for FJ. Said The Phantom Tollbooth just to say something.
That's a really good guess.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:01 am The Outchange continues.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Plus ça outchange, plus c'est la même chose.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:34 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 pmI NHO "A Wrinkle in Time" until lately, I guess it's a movie or something. I will give myself an "OK Boomer".
---------------
* Not that they called us that back then.** I was a married adult with a kid on the way by the time my generation got a label. I didn't even start identifying as Generation X until recently because I remember the early 90s when the term came into common use and it was clearly talking about people at least 5 years younger than I was. (I was born in 1965.) But lately I've realized I really do fit the demographic as the first generation to get screwed over by the Boomers and then ignored by them as they wage war against their doppleganger, the Millennials.
So how did you "get screwed over by the boomers"?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 pm
---------------
When Xers were in school, teachers were laid off, programs cut, and even schools closed after the massive wave of boomers.

When Xers got to work, every position they wanted to be promoted into was filled with a boomer who wasn't going anywhere.

Male Xers who try to look for a mate 2-3 years younger find women are in short supply. (This same problem happens to boomer women trying to find a mate 2-3 years older.)

When Xers go to the doctor, they wait in line behind boomers.

When Xers try to buy real estate, they find boomers bought it much more cheaply than they can.

Do I need to say anything about pensions and Social Security?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am
econgator wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:55 am No idea for FJ. Said The Phantom Tollbooth just to say something.
There's not a whiff of quantum theory in The Phantom Tollbooth...Milo wouldn't have been able to follow it. He's no Meg or Charles Wallace... :)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:15 pm
---------------
It would take way too long to explain if you're not already aware. And if you are aware, but are challenging the allegation, I don't feel like having that discussion.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Netflix & Chill $400 & $1600, and U.S. Representatives $800, $1200, and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Sojourner Truth), Pepper Tree, Skeleton, The Prince of Tides & The Great Santini, Rio Grande & Colorado, Pacific Ocean, Labrador, Jerusalem, Nuclear Reactor, Chattahoochee River, Satellites, Carl Philipp Emmanuel Bach, (Hispaniola)
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:01 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am
There's not a whiff of quantum theory in The Phantom Tollbooth...Milo wouldn't have been able to follow it. He's no Meg or Charles Wallace... :)
True, but I’d have to agree that it’s a decent guess. I don’t know about the timeline for 1963, but there was absolutely a lot of “learning about numbers” that went on in the book. Weren’t there two kingdoms, one based on numbers and the other based on letters? It’s no QUANTUM theory, but it’s certainly mathematically oriented.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:49 pm I spaced out and said Devin Nunes for the Congressman. His pissing away of $100 million of taxpayer money on bogus Benghazi investigations bought him name recognition at least.
Devin Nunes had nothing to do with the Benghazi investigation. That committee was led by Trey Gowdy, who is no longer in Congress.