Thursday, January 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WESTERN HEMISPHERE GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It’s the easternmost capital city in Central America

Veronica Vichit-Vadakan: 13000+8000=21000 (4x = $89,001)
Shanu George: 2300-2000=300
Priscilla Drobes: minus 5400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Panama City (Shanu – Tegucigalpa)

Daily Doubles
Shanu: 200-1000
Shanu: 5000-4000
Shanu: minus 1000-1500

Coryats
Veronica: 13000
Shanu: 8800
Priscilla: minus 5400

Combined: 16,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Veronica: 5400
Shanu: 1000
Priscilla: 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Posted by Robert in the Media thread:
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:14 am
earendel wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:10 am And an interview with Stephanie Hull, who achieved the lowest score ever.
*Maybe
-5400 today not the lowest score. 16400 Combined Coryat today, not the worse. 13000 not the lowest lock. And so on for whatever records someone may wonder about after seeing today's game.

When "Bohemian Rhapsody" is guessed as a rock opera by The Who it's going to be a rough day. Priscilla would have had three games viewing plus a lunch break before playing. I don't want to imagine if she had been called for the first game of the day.

Alex was amused as I was by blizzard and tornado being the supposed weather conditions that stopped a soccer game in England and caused the need of a search party to find the goalie. Veronica was wise to lay off it. I have played various recreational outdoor sports with friends in fog and it is amazing how low the visibility can go with the right conditions.

I had a good enough Coryat to double the combined Coryat by the players and unlike Shanu's skunk, was 3/3 on the DDs. Of course that means I miss the FJ! clue as that type of map recollection is not good for me. I wrote Belmopan. :oops:

For those that were unhappy with some of the the wagers in runaway games by the champ who began the new year, today's big 8 by Triple V must have been more satisfying. No one has won exactly four games and lost the 5th since Ryan Bilger in July, so we'll see if Veronica can get the sweep the week debut tomorrow.

She was very close to having a Kristin Sausville solo today as Shanu needed his +3600 on the last two clues of the DJ! round to be standing for the FJ! round.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Lol, I'm so inept at geography that I could only think of one city in thirty seconds...and it was the right one. I've used up my luck for the week.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

FJ: staring at maps for countless hundreds of hours as a kid pays off in situations like this.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This was one of those where the FJ answer was so obvious that I was concerned there might be some quirk of geography that actually rendered it incorrect (like how Reno being further west than Los Angeles is non-intuitive to non-locals).
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Good on Veronica for taking a risk. I have absolutely no problem with any Clavin-proof wager in this situation. Bet 0 if you hate the category - we all have blind spots, and recognizing them is good, even if some categories aren’t always indicative of the subject matter or difficulty. Bet 0 if you have no risk tolerance - who am I to tell you that you have to bet $8000 on an even money wager that may be just barely above 50% to win? Bet all your extra money if you feel like it - you’ll be back tomorrow, and you already won money.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive play-through:

Coryat $29,800 (40 R, 3 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

I'm not going to be able to watch the episode, but looks like a rough day for the two challengers. I'm with Ironhorse on FJ... I came up with it right away and spent the other 29 seconds wondering if there was something I was missing. I'm sure some FJs in subjects that are impossible for me feel that way to others.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I felt uncomfortable watching Priscilla in DJ. Sometimes you never know how someone is going to handle being under the lights, and I have the utmost sympathy for her ... but I felt like the Simpsons' "Stop, he's already dead!" meme. I wanted them to stop the match and try to calm her down.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Real People on Screen. I had an inkling on the first four, but chickened out every time because I just wasn't sure enough.

I could have taken 400 guesses on Weather for $200 and never gotten "fog". Snow/blizzard seemed perfectly cromulent so I was stumped when it was negged.

Japan's coin could be made out of ANY lightweight metal. Saw no way to narrow that down whatsoever.

I hear the term "Doppler radar" all the time and still didn't think to guess "radar" on the Doppler clue.

All but Quadrophenia in Rock Operas, all but incisor in Spelling Bee, all but Blue Boy in Blue by You.

Surprisingly, ran States' Common Surnames.

Easternmost capital in Central America? For some reason I usually have a mental block on all of the Central American countries, but this time I remembered to remember that Central America curves to the east and ends at Panama. So Panama City it is.

Lach Trash: mango, Johnson, dulcimer. Also got the New Mexico DD
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:21 pm This was one of those where the FJ answer was so obvious that I was concerned there might be some quirk of geography that actually rendered it incorrect (like how Reno being further west than Los Angeles is non-intuitive to non-locals).
I went with Panama City, but I too was wondering if that answer was too obvious, and something else might've been the answer.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Priscilla might just be the most nervous J! contestant I've ever seen. My goodness that was sad to watch.

When I saw the spelling bee category pop up, I initially cursed under my breath for not memorizing the more recent winners, but no, it was just another reminder of how easy the words used to be, before the kids got too good and they had to beef up the words.

Like others, instaget FJ, followed by 29 seconds of wondering if I was missing some sort of trick, like maybe Panama City was far to the west and there was a bit of Honduras that poked far enough east or something, but I stuck with it.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I was wondering how a fellow Nutmegger could get nor’easter wrong.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $35,200 (43R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Satchel Paige, fog, nor’easter (DD), mango, New Mexico (DD), Johnson, Texas Rangers (DD)

Oof. I don’t think I’ve ever felt as bad for a contestant as I did for Priscilla in DJ. It’s amazing what being put in front of those cameras can do.

I feel like Shanu probably should’ve won this, hit all three DDs and whiffed on each. And I didn’t think any of them were super-challenging — the Surnames one should’ve been at worst a tossup between Arizona and New Mexico (maaaaaaybe Florida) after eliminating TX and CA on the previous clue, even if you knew nothing about state politics.

SJ started well for me with a run down Park City, but was a bit of a struggle from there. DJ was better, managed at least 3/5 in all 6 categories and ran Surnames (plus 3/3 in Once...).

I will echo others and say it was an instaget FJ, followed by a quick trip to Google Maps to see if I’d missed some kind of trap :D
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Calling on the Penguin to post a fourth podium survey for this game.
MarkBarrett wrote: She was very close to having a Kristin Sausville solo today as Shanu needed his +3600 on the last two clues of the DJ! round to be standing for the FJ! round.
I was rooting for that to happen. I can't recall if anyone else has had a solo FJ besides Kristin.
If James H were plugged into Veronica's place for this game, I'm thinking he would have a good shot at breaking his One Day record.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:36 pm Calling on the Penguin to post a fourth podium survey for this game.
MarkBarrett wrote: She was very close to having a Kristin Sausville solo today as Shanu needed his +3600 on the last two clues of the DJ! round to be standing for the FJ! round.
I was rooting for that to happen. I can't recall if anyone else has had a solo FJ besides Kristin.
If James H were plugged into Veronica's place for this game, I'm thinking he would have a good shot at breaking his One Day record.
Here's another single-player FJ! round game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=163

If James is Veronica and finds all DDs then little doubt he gets over $100K.

Here is another solo act at the end: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5773

and another: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3599

and another: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5360
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm Good on Veronica for taking a risk. I have absolutely no problem with any Clavin-proof wager in this situation. Bet 0 if you hate the category - we all have blind spots, and recognizing them is good, even if some categories aren’t always indicative of the subject matter or difficulty. Bet 0 if you have no risk tolerance - who am I to tell you that you have to bet $8000 on an even money wager that may be just barely above 50% to win? Bet all your extra money if you feel like it - you’ll be back tomorrow, and you already won money.
Something else to think about if I were in Veronica's shoes could be a future ToC bubble - you are about to win your fourth game and have a chance to add a free ~8k that could really help your chances if you lose game five. I'd be a lot more comfortable sitting on 89k as opposed to 81k when considering the contingent of four-day champs from the last ToC cycle that were mostly between 85-95k. Even if you miss, 73k was good enough for the 2015 ToC, and it held up for about a year and a half in the 2017 field. I would be stunned if the next tournament was any later than February 2021. I think you have a lot to gain in the big picture by going for the max if you're comfortable, and I give Veronica a lot of credit for doing so here.

Of course, if she wins game 5, none of this matters. *shrug*. Congrats in the meantime to Veronica on a great run so far - grinding out ugly wins is the mark of a true champion.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:04 am
Alex was amused as I was by blizzard and tornado being the supposed weather conditions that stopped a soccer game in England and caused the need of a search party to find the goalie. Veronica was wise to lay off it. I have played various recreational outdoor sports with friends in fog and it is amazing how low the visibility can go with the right conditions.
I just read the Stephanie Hull story and was conflicted about rooting to get her out of the barrel or not, I felt so bad for Priscilla's meltdown.

Somehow, I just clicked on a Snopes article about the soccer match last week.
Spoiler
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/goalk ... st-in-fog/
On Christmas Day 1937, Bartram was in the papers once more after a bizarre incident in a match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. With the score at 1-1, the game had to be called off on 61 minutes due to thick fog. Unfortunately for Bartram, he was the last to be made aware. “Soon after the kick-off, [fog] began to thicken rapidly at the far end, travelling past Vic Woodley in the Chelsea goal and rolling steadily towards me,” he wrote in his autobiography. “The referee stopped the game, and then, as visibility became clearer, restarted it. We were on top at this time, and I saw fewer and fewer figures as we attacked steadily.

“I paced up and down my goal-line, happy in the knowledge that Chelsea were being pinned in their own half. ‘The boys must be giving the Pensioners the hammer,’ I thought smugly, as I stamped my feet for warmth. Quite obviously, however, we were not getting the ball into the net. For no players were coming back to line up, as they would have done following a goal. Time passed, and I made several advances towards the edge of the penalty area, peering through the murk, which was getting thicker every minute. Still I could see nothing. The Chelsea defence was clearly being run off its feet.

“After a long time a figure loomed out of the curtain of fog in front of me. It was a policeman, and he gaped at me incredulously. ‘What on earth are you doing here?’ he gasped. ‘The game was stopped a quarter of an hour ago. The field’s completely empty’. And when I groped my way to the dressing-room, the rest of the Charlton team, already out of the bath and in their civvies, were convulsed with laughter.”

Although it wouldn’t be uncommon for this sort of sports story to grow exaggerated over the years, we found contemporaneous articles from 1937 that backed up Bartram’s account. For example, on Dec. 27, 1937, the Associated Press published this snippet about the foggy Christmas day game:

London (AP) – Goalkeeper Bartram believes a good defense is the backbone of a good soccer team. When the worst Christmas fog since 1904 settled over the playing filed the officials decided to call the game off, but Bartram stuck doggedly to his post, eyes cagily guarding his goal. As soon as play was terminated all the players except Bartram left the field. A searching party finally found him and convinced him it was safe to leave his post.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:29 pm Japan's coin could be made out of ANY lightweight metal. Saw no way to narrow that down whatsoever.
I'm imagining a coin made from Sodium or Potassium. That would be epic.
Leander wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:50 pm I was wondering how a fellow Nutmegger could get nor’easter wrong.
Because in modern times, weather has become a life threatening situation ALL THE TIME, in order to lure your eyeballs to the screen. Noreaster is an old boring normal thing, so let's have Bomb Cyclones and Polar Vortexes (sic, I don't know if they are Vortices). Oh, and we get flash flood alerts 48 hours before the 1/2" of rain is coming.

NoGo for me on Central American capitals. I assumed it would belong to Belize's capital.

Veronica survived the Thursday curse but her competitors did not fare so well. I will take the over for Veronica at 7 games.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I don't know what it is, but I can never keep east and west straight. I always have to do that "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" mnemonic just to differentiate the two. So it's not surprising that I went in the wrong direction and said Belmopan, thinking Belize was in the uppermost left corner of Central America. Nope, apparently it's Guatemala. Note to self, hit the geography books hard.

Part of me wanted to see a single-player round for FJ, but I was glad that Shanu got into the plus side just in time.

So if Veronica ends up making the ToC, would her 21-letter name (22 if you want to count the hyphen) be a ToC record?
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell