Wednesday, June 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6393, 2012-06-06

CONTESTANTS
Ernest Niño-Murcia, a court interpreter originally from Iowa City, Iowa
Regina MacDowell, an ecclesiastic glass artist and housing counselor from Nineveh, Pennsylvania
Claudia Gray, a substitute teacher from Monrovia, California (whose 3-day cash winnings total $45,202)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to our show. I guess the word "steady" would, uh, be a good one to apply to our champion Claudia, because that's the way she's been in three consecutive games. And so, Regina and Ernest, welcome aboard. Good luck to all three of you. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round, and here come your categories. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SOUNDS LIKE A NOBLE GAS, MAN (3/5)
INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BASEBALL ABBREVIATIONS (5/5)
ROYAL RELATIVES (5/5)
WHOLE SALE (5/5)
RE-"TAIL" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ernest: 9 R, 0 W
Regina: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Claudia: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Regina found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Claudia had $200, Regina had $3,400, and Ernest was at $2,000. Regina wagered $1,000.

INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew displays a map on the monitor.) Once claimed in its entirety by Nicaragua, this coastal region named for its indigenous people was split in 1960 by the International Court of Justice, with the northern area going to Honduras

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Regina: $4,600
Ernest: $2,000
Claudia: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Ernest Niño-Murcia is from Iowa City, Iowa. He's a court interpreter, and that would be a nerve-racking experience for a lot of folks, particularly your first time out. Tell me about that.

Ernest: Absolutely. It was my very first time interpreting for a witness in front of a jury--entire jury, gallery full of people--and we're--everything that we say is recorded, so when the tapes runs over, or runs out, you need to stop everything, flip the tape so that nothing goes unrecorded. And in a moment of panic, I turned to the judge and tried to call a time-out.

Alex: And he wasn't bothered by that. He was...

Ernest: [Stammers] I-I gained my composure a moment later and was able to say "Stop. We need to flip the tape."

Alex: Oh, okay.

Alex: Regina MacDowell from Nineveh, Pennsylvania.

Regina: Yes, sir.

Alex: The only contestant we've had on the program who was born in a very special place.

Regina: Uh, having been the ninth of ten children that my parents had, uh, I guess my mother had the timing off, and so I was born in the car, a 1959 Mercury, on the way to the hospital.

Alex: And some people wonder why they didn't call you Mercury?

Regina: My brothers actually were rallying to have me called Mercury, but they lost, that, uh...

Alex: Uh-huh. Who delivered you?

Regina: I guess it was my mother.

Alex: She delivered you herself? W--

Regina: She did. I--

Alex: She was alone in the car?

Regina: No, my father did the driving.

Alex: Oh, thank you.

Regina: I'm sorry. Yeah, no, no, my father was doing the driving.

Alex: Okay. Thank you very much. I...

[Regina laughs.]

Alex: We can ask a lot of our mothers, but that might be going a little too far.

Regina: That would be.

Alex: "Okay, I'm gonna have the baby now. Let me, uh... let me signal a left turn or something."

Alex: Claudia Gray is our champion. Met her husband at a...

Claudia: My husband was--

Alex: Church?

Claudia: --the youth pastor at the church where my kids were part of the youth group.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Claudia: And he is quite a bit younger than me. But we've been married--happily married for a year. And a few years after that, we founded our own church, so...

Alex: Good for you.

Claudia: Yeah.

Alex: And you've earned a lot of money to put towards good deeds, I would assume.

Claudia: Very definitely.

Alex: All right. Let's get back into this.

Claudia: Very definitely.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SOUNDS LIKE A NOBLE GAS, MAN $800: A manufacturer of missiles & microwaves whose name means "light of the gods"
(Regina: What is Amana?)

SOUNDS LIKE A NOBLE GAS, MAN $1000: The London Times runs a fiendish example of this type of puzzle using wordplay rather than definitions

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ernest: $5,800
Regina: $4,600
Claudia: $4,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOLLYWOOD FAMILY VALUES (4/5)
PRODUCT NAMES (4/5)
BORN & DIED: AUTHORS EDITION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FATS & OILS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PEACE (3/5)
EVERY OTHER LETTER (2/3) (Alex: And finally, you need to give us the word that's missing...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ernest: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Claudia: 6 R, 2 W
Regina: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ernest snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Claudia had $2,600, Regina had $6,600, and Ernest was at $12,200. Ernest wagered $3,000.

BORN & DIED: AUTHORS EDITION $2000: Born 1894, became Hellman's man in 1930, case solved for good 1961
(Ernest: Who is Christie?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Regina who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Claudia had $3,400, Regina had $9,000, and Ernest was at $12,000. Regina wagered $2,000.

FATS & OILS $2000: Fats consist mainly of these compounds, defined as 1 glycerol molecule & 3 molecules of fatty acids
(Regina: I have no idea.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HOLLYWOOD FAMILY VALUES $800: Lauren Graham admitted on the "Today" show that she's dating Peter Krause, her TV brother on this NBC show

PRODUCT NAMES $800: Puddings & other desserts:
Kozy ____
(Ernest: What is Kitchen?)
(Regina: What is Cabin?)

FATS & OILS $1600: This hard, white fat found around the kidneys of cattle & sheep is often melted down to form tallow to make candles

PEACE $1200: These Northerners who wanted peace with the Confederacy are portrayed here in a cartoon
(Alex: Minute to go now, Regina.)

PEACE $1600: The Woman's Peace Party began in 1915 after this Chicago feminist organized a 3-day peace meeting

EVERY OTHER LETTER $800: This big black cat "_A_T_E_" monkeys, snakes & goats as part of its diet
(Ernest: [No response])

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ernest: $13,600
Regina: $7,800
Claudia: $5,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE PRESIDENCY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Ernest: Wager $2,001 to cover Regina, but no more than $3,599 so as not to fall behind Claudia's doubled score.
Regina: You have the hope of surpassing Ernest if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,801 to force Ernest to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Claudia.
Claudia: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Between January 1, 1841 & December 31, 1850 the U.S. had this many presidents, the most in a 10-year period

FINAL SCORES
Claudia: $5,000 - $5,000 = $0 (What is 5?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Regina: $7,800 - $7,800 = $0 (What is five?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Ernest: $13,600 - $2,001 = $11,599 (What is three four?) (New champion: $11,599)
(Alex: No, it started with Van Buren and it ended with Fillmore, and in between, you had Harrison, Tyler, Polk, and Zachary Taylor, for a total of [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ernest: $16,600, 19 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Regina: $9,800, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Claudia: $5,000, 14 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $31,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Ernest: 19/59 = .322
Regina: 15/60 = .250
Claudia: 14/58 = .241
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ROYAL RELATIVES $200: Emperor Maximilian of Mexico was the uncle of this archduke who was assassinated in 1914
(Claudia: Who was Ferdinand?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Claudia: Who was Ferdinand Josef?)

SOUNDS LIKE A NOBLE GAS, MAN $600: Especially popular in Rhodes was this chariot-riding Greek sun god later identified with Apollo
(Regina: Who is Phoebus?)

HOLLYWOOD FAMILY VALUES $1200: Maybe Matthew Broderick kept calling & kept calling until this on-screen sis from "Ferris Bueller" (finally) dated him
(Claudia: Who is Sarah Jessica Parker?)

BORN & DIED: AUTHORS EDITION $1200: Born in Moscow November 11, 1821, gave "Notes From the Underground", headed underground February 9, 1881
(Claudia: Who is Tolstoy?)

EVERY OTHER LETTER $1200: Let's "H_I_T" the bar & do this, meaning to lift, a few beers
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Mosquito Coast
Raytheon
a cryptic crossword
Dashiell Hammett
triglyceride
Parenthood
Shack
suet
Copperheads
Jane Addams
panther
Franz Ferdinand
Helios
Jennifer Grey
Dostoyevsky
hoist
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

Can't find Claudia's Facebook page, anyone knows what happens?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Austin Powers wrote:Can't find Claudia's Facebook page, anyone knows what happens?
Alex strolls out stark naked, announces all categories as "my butt."
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

16 right today. I counted five. For FJ, I didn't even think of starting with Van Buren. I started with Harrison and counted to Fillmore. Too bad.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Was it just me or was DJ! rather difficult. I, for one hadn't heard of the Copperheads (although, if you have, the picture should have made them an easy get), and a few others that aren't coming to mind right now.

I did a combination of what Claudia admitted to doing ("picking a number") and counting, coudn't remember the names of all of them, but I started with WH Harrison. Could remember all the names of the followers (or years to stop at), so I figured 5 total seemed like a good answer. I then realized halfway through the THink Music that starting with Harrison was a bad idea, as 1841 was 2 years before he took his presidency, so I should add another making it six, but I also figured that since 5 wasn't landed at by any scientific means like actually counting them, I stuck with five. At least both numbers were wrong.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Will there be a clue about Ray Bradbury?
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote:I then realized halfway through the THink Music that starting with Harrison was a bad idea, as 1841 was 2 years before he took his presidency,
Huh?
so I should add another making it six, but I also figured that since 5 wasn't landed at by any scientific means like actually counting them, I stuck with five. At least both numbers were wrong.
Double huh?

At least you realized that guessing four as the record is just silly. You only have to go back to the 1960s, or 1972-1981, to get up to four.

I too had not heard of the copperheads.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Wow, Claudia lost. I'm shocked.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Dumb dumb dumb miss on my part on FJ. I started with Harrison and never thought of Van Buren still being president when 1841 began.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:I too had not heard of the copperheads.
I had no problem with that, but what the heck products did they pick? Other than Case Logic, I've never heard of a one of them.

For FJ, I missed van Buren and came up with 5. Oops!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

So the DJ board got a little weird with the companies I've not heard of and some of those fats. Oddly I got the 1600 and 2000 in fats but not the 800 or 1200.

I was initially worried on FJ because I didnt know when Taylor died, but I became quite sure when it said December. (Taylor apparently died that July).

I am not sure what Claudia's strategy was at the end, as she needed to go to the bottom of the board. I thought it was a well played game by all until about halfway through the DJ round, when I sensed everyone just started doing whatever.

Oh and the noble gas category was a nice idea but I think they should have stuck to words ending in -on.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn't get why she didn't go for the bottom of the board, either. It wound up costing her as she finished $800 short of having a chance in FJ.

Taylor died in July. He got sick at a 4th of July event.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Dig as deep a hole as you can, throw that Noble Gas category in, burn it, then cover it in cement. UGH.

I was surprised that they BMS'd Archduke Ferdinand, then was doubly surprised that she named the wrong one. Can't remember the last time that happened.

That Product Names category unexpectedly turned into "Products I've never heard of". Ouch. Then they get to Case Logic and I clammed. Embarrassing skunk there.

You're down 10k, time is running out, and you head for the top of the category, twice?? At least it didn't matter in the end.

For FJ, ok, death, one-term, one term, death, next guy. 5. Cool...what? January...DAMN. I need a drink.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Surprised they didn't accept just "Ferdinand."
And cat-'o-nine-tailS should be pluralized.

EDIT: BMSed?

EDIT: I did what Claudia did (same answer too) :lol:
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

My third grade self, who could name all the presidents in order along with their names, is ashamed of me for blowing that FJ.

I'm a huge baseball nerd, and I was irrationally hoping for stuff like WHIP, VORP, WARP3, and WHOOPS. Yes, these are all real stats.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I was surprised that they BMS'd Archduke Ferdinand, then was doubly surprised that she named the wrong one.
Doesn't that pretty much explain why they did require it? I had no issue with the BMS.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

zakharov wrote:My third grade self, who could name all the presidents in order along with their names, is ashamed of me for blowing that FJ.

I'm a huge baseball nerd, and I was irrationally hoping for stuff like WHIP, VORP, WARP3, and WHOOPS. Yes, these are all real stats.
As many times as they switched away from that category, I was hoping for xFIP or wOBA :twisted:
econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I was surprised that they BMS'd Archduke Ferdinand, then was doubly surprised that she named the wrong one.
Doesn't that pretty much explain why they did require it? I had no issue with the BMS.
It's not that I have an issue with it, it's just that I don't have a feel for what does or doesn't require a BMS lately.
TenPoundHammer

Not the bees! Not the bees!!!

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Noble Gas was stupid, I agree. I knew they were going for cryptic crossword on that last one, but "cryptic" didn't sound remotely like any noble gas to me.
econgator wrote:I had no problem with that, but what the heck products did they pick? Other than Case Logic, I've never heard of a one of them.
Burt's Bees was the only one I'd heard of. (An Amazon attack. A deadly bee weapon. Bees. My God.)

Both boards seemed really tough to me. I only got 8 right in J! and 5 in DJ! Was also blanking on stuff I should've gotten, like Thames, Saudi Arabia, alcohol, Prairie (just couldn't pull anything out of P_A_R_E), Melville, error, etc.

Eh, why bother guessing, I'll get it wrong anyway. Yep, six — wouldn't have ever thought of it being that high. Whatever. When you've had absolutely no friggin' clue on 10 FJ!s in a row, you tend to get ambivalent.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

JFanForever wrote:16 right today. I counted five. For FJ, I didn't even think of starting with Van Buren. I started with Harrison and counted to Fillmore. Too bad.
Yeah, that. Sigh.
zakharov wrote:My third grade self, who could name all the presidents in order along with their names, is ashamed of me for blowing that FJ.
That, too.
Last edited by DBear on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.