What's in store for the 3 Jeopardy giants after GOAT?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: What's in store for the 3 Jeopardy giants after GOAT?

Post by triviawayne »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 am
econgator wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 pm The average casual viewer likely has NEVER (in their memory) seen him play, or Ken Jennings either for that matter.
Both of them played just 10 months ago, so the average casual viewer has almost certainly seen them.
You'd think, wouldn't you? But judging from social media, today's average casual viewer was largely lured in by the Holzhauer run, which came just AFTER the last appearance of Ken or Brad in the All-Star tournament. Ken and Brad may as well be dinosaurs to them.
And yet 65 million years later, we all know about the dinosaurs
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:55 am
ParrotRob wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:48 am
econgator wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 pm The average casual viewer likely has NEVER (in their memory) seen him play, or Ken Jennings either for that matter.
Both of them played just 10 months ago, so the average casual viewer has almost certainly seen them.
You'd think, wouldn't you? But judging from social media, today's average casual viewer was largely lured in by the Holzhauer run, which came just AFTER the last appearance of Ken or Brad in the All-Star tournament. Ken and Brad may as well be dinosaurs to them.
And yet 65 million years later, we all know about the dinosaurs
Sure, "we" do, but "we" also know about Ken and Brad. I'm not so sure the casual viewer knows all about the dinosaurs. Remember, these are people who think James threw his final regular game and the tournament, too :-D
--
Drowning in the pool
heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by heppm01 »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:09 pm I say don't let them be in any more tournaments (they've won enough), but if they want to continue to trade on their J! notoriety they might offer themselves to stand at stud to produce the next generation of greats.

Just a thought...
That is coffee-on-the-keyboard funny - thanks for the laugh.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:18 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:29 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Brad seemed to be out of his league. The game has passed him by.
He loses for the first time ever and suddenly the game has passed him by? I respectfully disagree.
I couldn't agree more. Great players have bad games. It happens all the time.
twelvefootboy wrote: Brad seemed to be out of his league. The game has passed him by.
He loses for the first time ever and suddenly the game has passed him by? I respectfully disagree.
Poor choice of phrasing, but I'm trying to recap the casual viewer experience. I missed the first game but I think it was 8 beatdowns for Brad (sorry for not doing the math/research). The average casual viewer likely has NEVER (in their memory) seen him play, or Ken Jennings either for that matter.
.....(deleted)
At the risk of getting even more out of context and being branded a hater, I felt bad making a lazy observation. I'm just trying to reveal the optics as seen by a casual viewer, especially the ESPN driven demo that came to watch James.

I drilled down looking at each board (4/day) for any crumbs. There are only two:

1) Brad had the best Coryat on Day 1 Game 2. This was possibly noticed by viewers, but he was still 3rd in points in both rounds (courtesy of misses on DD2,DD3). He was not locked out from 3rd, but did not convert the Hail Mary/onside kick that would have been a token win for the Match Day.

2) Brad was in 2nd place entering FJ on Day 3 Game 2, another foregone conclusion for the match and he slipped to 3rd on the TS.

The rest was a thumping. Although we (boardies) know that final dollar/point amounts are misleading, the optics are still there. There are still headlines on TMZ (or whatever) when someone wins by ONE DOLLAR, as if that was the actual margin.

Brad's FINAL Position / points / winner points:
3rd/10K/60K
3rd/14K/83K
3rd/23K/67K
3rd/1K/88K

Of course the game hasn't passed him by, as I inelegantly stated. But I don't think the new viewers for the GOAT are going to clamor for the 3rd Tenor in a rematch.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14 pm
Ken is the fan favorite. He lives and breathes trivia for the love of learning and would play for free. He's in Learned League, likely for the camaraderie and the beatdowns which are given and gotten. All of our favorite athletes do the same - Pete Rose would have played baseball for lunch money (which he would have put on the ponies, but, never mind :))

Brad seemed to be out of his league. The game has passed him by. He may not have invested as heavily as Ken in studying and training and might not handle this hard material on a written test, much less buzzing and winning.
Everything you said about Ken could equally apply to Brad. He’s in LL, too, and last season had a .833 Q%, slightly above his career percentage so I don’t think he’s lost any knowledge. Also, in my experience he’s more visible in the live trivia world than Ken. He competes in various team events such as at O’briens and the now-defunct National Trivia League National tournament. He may not be as lightning-fast as he was in the UTOC, but it’ll take more than one off performance to convince me of that.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 am
John Boy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:09 pm I say don't let them be in any more tournaments (they've won enough), but if they want to continue to trade on their J! notoriety they might offer themselves to stand at stud to produce the next generation of greats.

Just a thought...
I, for one, hope to still be alive in the year 2040 when a Holzhauer offspring competes against a Jennings offspring.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 pm
Poor choice of phrasing, but I'm trying to recap the casual viewer experience. I missed the first game but I think it was 8 beatdowns for Brad (sorry for not doing the math/research). The average casual viewer likely has NEVER (in their memory) seen him play, or Ken Jennings either for that matter. I am a recent hardcore viewer, but for decades have never watched the show as a competition or a serial narrative. I first heard of Brad at the IBM challenge, and Ken J just from a few news stories.

The 5 million extra (pairs of, in most cases) eyeballs that tuned in are probably making a similar assessment. Y'all know I don't flame or troll :evil: . I still think Tom Brady and Phillip Rivers are more dangerous than the young guns in the NFL.
Or, to quote Larry Cole, defensive lineman for the Dallas Cowboys, "Anybody can have an off decade."
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 pm Apparently, Ken Jennings announced he does not plan to return to the Jeopardy! set after the GOAT tournament.
Really? I'd love to see the source of that...
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Golf

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:51 am At the risk of getting even more out of context and being branded a hater, I felt bad making a lazy observation. I'm just trying to reveal the optics as seen by a casual viewer, especially the ESPN driven demo that came to watch James.

The rest was a thumping. Although we (boardies) know that final dollar/point amounts are misleading, the optics are still there. There are still headlines on TMZ (or whatever) when someone wins by ONE DOLLAR, as if that was the actual margin.

Of course the game hasn't passed him by, as I inelegantly stated. But I don't think the new viewers for the GOAT are going to clamor for the 3rd Tenor in a rematch.
Nobody thinks you're a hater, and we are all entitled to opinions.

Personally, I'm not concerned with what the average viewer thinks, they are blissfully ignorant. If they want to think Brad stinks then who cares? But, at present, how many players would you pick to beat him? Nobody would argue right now with Ken and James, perhaps Roger Craig and Alex Jacob. But I think Brad still has to be a substantial favorite over anybody else. If TPTB put some random from the team tournament or the UToC against Ken and James it would be infinitely uglier than it was with Brad.

Just my thoughts.
Golf

Post by Golf »

jeopardyfan939 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 pm Apparently, Ken Jennings announced he does not plan to return to the Jeopardy! set after the GOAT tournament.
RobW wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:00 pm Really? I'd love to see the source of that...
https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... -the-show/
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:50 pm January 17, 2022

Holzhauer - Cellmate of Trump at Allenwood.

Why is it I always agree with you? So amusing.

I like all the mods here, but you're something special.

Sidebar to Floridagator just above. Massive boo on your entry, which made this one necessary. Lol!
Pending...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:58 pm
heppm01 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:48 am

Just a thought...
I, for one, hope to still be alive in the year 2040 when a Holzhauer offspring competes against a Jennings offspring.
Ugh! Is she going to constantly bet her Dad's birthday digits?
I hope his birthday is something like 12/12/91 or something so we can see that $121,291 bet :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
yclept

Post by yclept »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 pm Personally, enough already with the special tournaments. GOAT was wonderful. Let's bask in its beauty for a while.
The biggest thing one has to worry about is ABC seeing the success of this competition and wanting to expand on it in short order. I don’t think they will but there is no doubt in my mind that ABC will want Jeopardy in prime time again someday with some sort of big tournament.

I don’t mind these competitions and there are several contestants I would love to see in a tournament with James. However, I think anything before 2022 would be too soon for such a tournament. By then, we may have another platinum champion to throw into the mix....
yclept

Post by yclept »

I tend to doubt that Brad has suddenly lost it, as well. He didn’t play his best in this competition but he would still be a favorite to at least reach the finals in any random tournament you put him in. I don’t buy the losing a step argument because Brad is only 41 years old. James is 36. Ken is 45. Maybe his timing was slightly off, and that is all it would take in a fast competition like this.

While his teammates were a big help (Larissa had something to prove herself in the All Star Tournament), Brad wasn’t exactly chopped liver. And that tournament wasn’t long ago.

Regardless, I doubt Brad really cares. He has won so many of these things through the years.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RobW wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:00 pm
Really? I'd love to see the source of that...
Not playing again is one thing: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jeopar ... 203471741/

Not returning to the set would be another.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:18 pm Sidebar to Floridagator just above. Massive boo on your entry, which made this one necessary. Lol!
A quick Google of “Ken Jennings Trump” would tell him his prediction is unlikely.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I can’t believe this thread has come this far without one mention of them competing on Naked and Afraid
Total game show career losings = $171,522
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:01 pm
MollyQMurphy wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:18 pm Sidebar to Floridagator just above. Massive boo on your entry, which made this one necessary. Lol!
A quick Google of “Ken Jennings Trump” would tell him his prediction is unlikely.
Lol, it was a joke. All three of my predictions were. Could you really not tell?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:50 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:01 pm
Lol, it was a joke. All three of my predictions were. Could you really not tell?
With your jokes it's pretty hard!
goongas

Post by goongas »

An article from Deadline that quoted a ABC executive saying something to the effect of looking for something to put the contestants in:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline. ... 27437/amp/