Tuesday, January 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC MOVIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1939 film was loosely based on Senator Burton Wheeler, victim of a sham investigation for looking into the Justice Department

Dennis Coffey: 7200+4801=12001 (3x = $51,203)
Steve Schiraldi: 10000-4401=5599
Samantha Slama: 6000+5400=11400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Steve – Gone with the Wind)

Daily Doubles
Dennis: 1600-1000
Dennis: 4400+2500
Dennis: 9700-2500

Coryats
Dennis: 10200
Steve: 10000
Samantha: 6000

Combined: 26,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dennis: 4000
Steve: 2400
Samantha: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Movie plugs are common on J! while Alex doing one for U.S. Figure Skating Championships this week was more unusual.

Six clues not seen and Dennis did not help at all as his clue selection pace was Maine deliberate. Category and clue. It's not that difficult. Pick something already.

Francois Barcomb shared on The Jeopardy! Fan that Samantha was the alternate for the Teachers Tournament. Make one break go a different way for her and she could have won just as easily as Dennis today.

Dennis won again from 2nd place and a 10200 Coryat is very average. What counts is his three wins no matter how he gets it done. And that includes his headshaking misfire on DD1. It's a Daily Double. Read it twice and check your work.

The FJ! category had me wasting time making sure I knew as many Best Picture winners from 1930 -1960 I could recall. The clue pinpointing to the classic year of 1939 had my pen working harder than my mind needed to as Alex read the clue. With so much to write I could not quite be done ahead of the music starting.

Tough luck for Steve not being able to close the deal with the lead. He won't forget it anytime soon and will not enjoy seeing clips of the Capra film.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Samantha Slama is a heck of a good name. Sam Slama Jama!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

David, you might be interested to learn Burton Wheeler's middle name
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I got as far as "the 1939 movie with Mr. in the title" and picked Goodbye Mr. Chips. Womp womp. :(
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Yikes at some of those TSs. Weirdest part was that I though they were doing pretty well in the SJ round.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Friggin' impeachment. Fortunately our local affiliate reruns Jeopardy! at 4:30 a.m. Unless the hardware-software cooperative screws up, that'll record and we'll watch it a day late.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I hope Steve just decided to write down a 1939 movie when he couldn’t come up with Mr. Smith. At least he didn’t say The Wizard of Oz.

Kind of a bleah game. Instaget FJ here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but "jovial" in Mythology. I thought getting there from "Jupiter" was a tough connection.

"Patio" is a Spanish word? Why do they always stump me with Spanish?

Didn't know the lemur for a 4/5 in my animal wheelhouse category. Apparently primates remain a weak spot in that department.

I could have taken 1,000 guesses and never gotten "Zero" on the Sue Grafton clue. It just seemed wide open.

1939 film? There are lots of famous films for that year. The political angle was getting me absolutely nowhere, though. The correct response is utterly unfamiliar to me.

Lach Trash: hermaphrodite, echidna, showroom, utter, umber. Also got the Booth DD
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $34,800 (41R, 2W)
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: echidna, John Wilkes Booth (DD), The Orville, dissident, utter, agitation & propaganda, Congressional Budget Office, Defense Intelligence Agency

Reverse of yesterday — slow start in SJ (only ran Words From Mythology, negged on showroom with parking garage and lemur with squirrel) and went to town in DJ despite missing both DDs.

Instaget FJ. Dennis is living well, that’s two games in a row he came from behind when the leader missed a gettable FJ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two of my relevant posts in the Grafton area.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3951&p=242596&#p242596

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3951&start=620

I guess I will have to pick a hat and some seasoning?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wonder if there'll be another "4th-Podium" questionnaire again this week. I got hermaphroditic, echidna, showroom, dissidents, umber (remember being a school kid and finding a crayon in my Crayola box called "burnt umber" :) ), agitation and propaganda, and Congressional Budget Office.

By my count that's $9200 in Lach Trash, plus the get in FJ. Should be a win.

And I don't know from what orifice I pulled out Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I've only seen moments of the film and really didn't know the plot included what this clue said. I guess the year of the film plus I pretty much knew it wasn't "Wizard of Oz" or GWTW. Every once in a while a WAG pays off.

BTW I have to imagine that the champ knew that Lincoln was not an assassin, so I wonder what was up with that first DD??????

And congrats to Dennis for becoming the 500th J! contestant to reach the $50K mark in regular season play.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 pmremember being a school kid and finding a crayon in my Crayola box called "burnt umber"

You were probably thinking of "Raw umber". That was one of the eight colors they retired in 1990. Even into the late 90s, I would still occasionally find a Crayola box that had "new color" on one of the eight replacements. (In 2001, I found a 48 box at a dime store in Texas that still had the pre-1990 colors in it. Think I still have it somewhere, too.) I also remember the big to-do when they let fans name the 16 new colors added to the 96 box. And then all the others that got them up to 120. And all the mutations since then (remember the ones that had smells?).

You may be surprised to find that Crayola retired a ton of colors prior to 1990 (see this page). Even Jeopardy! themselves have fallen victim to the "Prussian Blue was the first Crayola color to be retired" myth that Crayola propagates.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Y'all know how I hate movie categories, but even I got this FJ 8-)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Having never seen it, I thought Mr. Smith was later, like in the 50's. I didn't have any other guess though, so I would have put it down and been surprised when it was right.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:32 pm
I could have taken 1,000 guesses and never gotten "Zero" on the Sue Grafton clue. It just seemed wide open.
You know Grafton's book starts with a Z, and with the "countdown" hint, that's probably a guess you can make.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:44 pm You know Grafton's book starts with a Z, and with the "countdown" hint, that's probably a guess you can make.
I just tried randomly pulling up a bunch of Z words and none seemed to fit. "Countdown" didn't even seem like a hint, and even if it did I would still have been overwhelmed by my brain's massive list of Z words.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Never seen Mr. Smith, and I'll admit it's a hole I should change, yet somehow I still got it. Old B&W movie about injustice in politics? Yup, Mr. Smith. Surprised that the Simpsons parody is "Mr. Spritz goes to Washington", referring to Krusty the Klown...but I guess Mr. Smithers would be a little too on-the-nose.

The triple stumpers pained me today, but it's only easy when you know it. Hermaphrodite? Utter/mutter? Lincoln as an assassin? BLAST strikes again, and no doubt I'd have it too - the bright light auditorium syndrome of Trebek is powerful. Then again, Lincoln WAS a vampire hunter...so I guess that's a type of assassin.

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Sue Grafton? The writers seem to love her, and she seems to me to be over-represented. Is she really that great of a mystery writer, to be put alongside Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle? I mean, she's prolific - 25 books - and she's hit the NYT Best Seller list often, but...Grafton gets 76 hits for J! and DJ!, and 3 (!) hits for FJ!. Even minus a few stray non-Sue Graftons, that feels like too much. We had 3 Grafton clues recently, each spaced out about 3 months...E is for Enough.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:29 pm
John Boy wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 pmremember being a school kid and finding a crayon in my Crayola box called "burnt umber"

You were probably thinking of "Raw umber". That was one of the eight colors they retired in 1990. Even into the late 90s, I would still occasionally find a Crayola box that had "new color" on one of the eight replacements. (In 2001, I found a 48 box at a dime store in Texas that still had the pre-1990 colors in it. Think I still have it somewhere, too.) I also remember the big to-do when they let fans name the 16 new colors added to the 96 box. And then all the others that got them up to 120. And all the mutations since then (remember the ones that had smells?).

You may be surprised to find that Crayola retired a ton of colors prior to 1990 (see this page). Even Jeopardy! themselves have fallen victim to the "Prussian Blue was the first Crayola color to be retired" myth that Crayola propagates.
There was a "burnt umber, too"... As well as a "burnt sienna".