Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:36 pm I fell for the Guam trap too. And, no, I couldn't name all five territories...I got Puerto Rico, Guam, and American Samoa, and picked Guam since it was closeish to Japan, which I knew drove left. Logic, right? I totally blanked on USVI, and NHO Northern Mariana Islands. I Googled the territories while I had the DVR on pause, and instantly knew my mistake.
See, I recognize all five of those. Any other time of day, you ask me to name them and I can rattle them off in a hurry. Today? I just completely blanked. WHY does this keep happening?

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:36 pmthe Billy Joel song is "Just the Way You Are" - no "I Love You" in the title.
You can give extraneous lyrics on song titles, as long as they're the correct ones.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

After blanking so many times on the show and in TD, I finally got a Billie Eilish question right 8-)
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 35,800 (40R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

DD3 illustrates the importance of one of my to-do list items: learn recent Oscar-nominated movies.

Guam for me on FJ... I picked a territory out of a hat because I didn't know how to make an educated guess.
Last edited by mas3cf on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

Got killed in the TV spin-off category.

For FJ I was able to come up with all five territories, but didn't see any obvious way to figure out which one was the correct answer. Ended up going with Guam based on nothing.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

I once had a 12-hour layover in Guam as part of a trip to the Philippines, and I spent much of that time driving around the island, so I knew that wasn’t the correct response.
Woppy T

Re: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILE

Post by Woppy T »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 pm For the make like a tree pun I have gone back and forth on it for the archive as I hear "leave" while the CC has "leaf" and I can hear that as well. Yes Biff Tannen would have another idea.
My wife and I both heard “leaf” and were waiting for a reversal, which I believe would have put him in second place going into FJ. Luckily it didn’t matter.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:26 pm
What was the TOM for Kennedy Airport in the top box? I didn't see anything pointing to any airport whatsoever.
This won’t help you, but Eero Saarinen’s TWA terminal is arguably the most well-known building at JFK airport. Hbomb has stayed at the hotel and could probably give you a review of it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Jeers to the contestants for running away from Ye Olde Job Faire. :x
For me FJ was a 50/50 between American Samia & US Virgin Islands. Picked correctly based on sharing them with Blighty. :mrgreen:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

QBall wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:18 pm I once had a 12-hour layover in Guam as part of a trip to the Philippines, and I spent much of that time driving around the island, so I knew that wasn’t the correct response.
But weren't you even a little bit worried that the island might tip over while you were there?

LOL, just LOL at Robert Louis Stevenson authoring Robinson Crusoe in 1719. Stevenson was born in 1850.

LOL, just LOL at Oscar Wilde writing "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man."

The Virgin Islands were an instaget.

I like that new champ. I could tell he was good. He was serious. He was confident.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

"How the heck am I supposed to know which territory drives on the left?!" I just kinda' picked a territory at random... and somehow picked the right one! Oh well, I'll take it :lol:.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

For FJ!, I said American Samoa, thinking I remembered that they'd changed from right-hand to left-hand drive in the not-too-distant past.

Turns out it was actually the independent nation of Samoa (which made the switch in 2009).
davey

Re: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILE

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 pm For the make like a tree pun I have gone back and forth on it for the archive as I hear "leave" while the CC has "leaf" and I can hear that as well. Yes Biff Tannen would have another idea.
My wife and I both heard “leaf” and were waiting for a reversal, which I believe would have put him in second place going into FJ. Luckily it didn’t matter.
He did say "leaf." Doesn't the pun work either way? In fact "leaf" makes a little more sense since trees don't "leave."
Was it calculated or coincidence that this week is the "Station 19-Gray's Anatomy crossover event," and a spot for it ran on J! tonight? Certainly the only reason I felt confident to take a guess on that one. I had never heard of Station 19 before I saw one of those spots. Still won't watch, sorry, ABC... :roll:
Figured since there's a British Virgin Islands US Virgin Islands was a good guess... :)
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:07 pm
JayK33 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:06 am So what was the point of the champ's wager?
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:07 am Math errors happen?
Golf wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:10 am Lack of wagering theory happens?
ParrotRob wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:44 pm Clearly he knew the theory, he just added where he was supposed to subtract.
No, if he knew the theory he would have wagered either $701 or $13099. Those and any number in between gives him winning chances of ~47%. His wager gave him a winning chance of ~19%
You're right, not just the wrong-way dollar ($101 instead of $099), but a thousand off, too. Still say he knew the theory, just sucked at executing the math.
--
Drowning in the pool
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I missed M/Tu games but the board recap looks like Dennis was on a run of good timing. I was moved by both his interview segment about the opioid crisis, and it's time to make big Pharma accountable, preferably without enriching lawyers.

I loved Lau's ebullience, and especially her recovery in the interview and her next day travel plans where she could make it seem she had fluid travel plans if she won. She protected the integrity of the fake Jeopardy taping schedule. I wonder if the evangelical demographic is hitting the clickers to protect their religious freedom (to hate and judge). I'm glad she got the extra $1600 above her final score :).

John seemed to know where he was in the game but it was still a photo finish to grab the lead before FJ.

For some stupid reason, I racked my brain to remember St. Thomas as one of the Virgin Islands and that would have been my answer instead of "US Virgin Islands". I wonder if there is any chance of that answer being accepted? I decided to go with the land of overweight people that love spam and whose culture we white devils destroyed, Samoa. End of my streak, as well as Dennis'.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

QBall wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:18 pm I once had a 12-hour layover in Guam as part of a trip to the Philippines, and I spent much of that time driving around the island, so I knew that wasn’t the correct response.
Yay! A Qball post. Hope to see you and family in March, James.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I agree that John impressed. He knew when to stay clam, which helped immensely. It’ll be interesting to see if he can keep it going. FJ was an uncomfortable get: of the four I could name, it seemed most likely but I didn’t make the Britain connection.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:26 pm NHO "A-line" skirt.

What was the TOM for Kennedy Airport in the top box? I didn't see anything pointing to any airport whatsoever.
I guess YEKIOYD, but the TWA terminal (now hotel) at JFK is/was pretty iconic. Kind of like the Theme building at LAX.
--
Drowning in the pool
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I've been to Charlotte Amalie many, many times, so that was an instaget
earendel

Post by earendel »

I got the right FJ! answer but for the wrong reason. I thought that the U.S. had been given the USVI by Great Britain in WWI, so it would make sense that they would drive on the same side of the road as England. Turns out that we got the USVI from Denmark. Oh, well, I'll take it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:03 am Dennis left his spot to graciously congratulate his opponents and then did a Snagglepuss. To me it looked like misunderstanding an offstage instruction and in no way looked like poor sportsmanship when Dennis was walking away. Dennis finally got the message and returned to his place for the after chat with Alex.
I thought it was because Dennis wanted to make sure everyone knew that he was actually wearing pants.