Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium »

On the trivia app FleetWit they have a live race at 11:30 am Pacific each weekday (the "premium" race is two credits, i.e. 50 cents, to play, but a free version with the same questions runs simultaneously). Each day is a different theme:
Mondays are Last Week in the News
Tuesdays are hangman-style (no multiple choice; you answer trivia questions by inputting letters as in Hangman, Wheel of Fortune, and HQ Words, and each week all answers will begin with a particular letter)
Wednesdays are the newest theme, Wordy Wednesday (all questions around a certain language theme)
Thursdays are just "Thursday Toss-Ups," with a medley of topics covered throughout the ten questions
Fridays are #FBF, with all the questions centered on a particular year.

I say all that to say that this past Friday's 11:30 race was about 1978. Multiple-choice questions have four possible answers, and as I was researching the events of the year to improve my chances of winning, I ended up precalling a question and four choices. While the question was put differently from what I had in mind, the gist of it was exactly what I predicted, and the four choices were identical to the ones I envisioned. So I'm curious: can anyone here who didn't see that quiz on Friday think of a similar question having to do with the events of 1978 with those same four answer choices?
Here's a small hint
Perhaps oddly, the correct answer was the most likely to be different from what I predicted, whereas the three incorrect answers had to be exactly what they were.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:10 am On the trivia app FleetWit they have a live race at 11:30 am Pacific each weekday (the "premium" race is two credits, i.e. 50 cents, to play, but a free version with the same questions runs simultaneously). Each day is a different theme:
Tuesdays are hangman-style (no multiple choice; you answer trivia questions by inputting letters as in Hangman, Wheel of Fortune, and HQ Words, and each week all answers will begin with a particular letter)
Wednesdays are the newest theme, Wordy Wednesday (all questions around a certain language theme)
Thursdays are just "Thursday Toss-Ups," with a medley of topics covered throughout the ten questions

I say all that to say that this past Friday's 11:30 race was about 1978. Multiple-choice questions have four possible answers, and as I was researching the events of the year to improve my chances of winning, I ended up precalling a question and four choices. While the question was put differently from what I had in mind, the gist of it was exactly what I predicted, and the four choices were identical to the ones I envisioned. So I'm curious: can anyone here who didn't see that quiz on Friday think of a similar question having to do with the events of 1978 with those same four answer choices?
Here's a small hint
Perhaps oddly, the correct answer was the most likely to be different from what I predicted, whereas the three incorrect answers had to be exactly what they were.
Spoiler
camp david accords, who was there, with the wrong answer being arafat?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:10 am On the trivia app FleetWit they have a live race at 11:30 am Pacific each weekday (the "premium" race is two credits, i.e. 50 cents, to play, but a free version with the same questions runs simultaneously). Each day is a different theme:

Here's a small hint
Spoiler
probably doesnt fit the bill with 4 choices, but:
Who wasn't pope in 1978? (3 popes that year!)
Spoiler
John 23rd, with Paul VI, John Paul 1 and John Paul 2 as distractors
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

boson got it! The exact wording of the question was "1978 marked the first year since 1605 in which there were three popes. Who was NOT one of them?" with JP1, JP2, P6 and J23 as the choices.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This map is brilliant.

World Map Drawn by Fishes.jpg
World Map Drawn by Fishes.jpg (50.8 KiB) Viewed 10339 times
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Super Bowl spoiler:
Spoiler

Just FYI, I don't know ANYBODY who says "How about those CHIEEEEEEEEFS". But , how 'bout them? They decided to play for 10 minutes at the end and credit to the defense for keeping it to 20. The garbage touchdown made the last 2 minutes go down better after our previous history of defensive fails.

The niner's won both sides of the LOS for 45 minutes but we got some pass protection just in time for the wunderkind to make a play or two. IMHO the MVP of the game was our RB Damien Williams, however. Garopolo played a nice game, and I was waiting for Emanuel Sanders to torch us with a bomb or long DPI call anytime.

It was weird to see the movie (blown lead by defense in 4Q) with an alternate ending. Now back up the Brinks truck and we'll see if we can afford to put anyone around Mahomes!

Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:57 pm Super Bowl spoiler:
Spoiler

Just FYI, I don't know ANYBODY who says "How about those CHIEEEEEEEEFS". But , how 'bout them? They decided to play for 10 minutes at the end and credit to the defense for keeping it to 20. The garbage touchdown made the last 2 minutes go down better after our previous history of defensive fails.

The niner's won both sides of the LOS for 45 minutes but we got some pass protection just in time for the wunderkind to make a play or two. IMHO the MVP of the game was our RB Damien Williams, however. Garopolo played a nice game, and I was waiting for Emanuel Sanders to torch us with a bomb or long DPI call anytime.

It was weird to see the movie (blown lead by defense in 4Q) with an alternate ending. Now back up the Brinks truck and we'll see if we can afford to put anyone around Mahomes!

Spoiler
Yeah, congratulations to the Great State of "KANSAS"!!!!!!
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I've been listening to all of the hits from 50 years ago from the Billboard Hot 100 because (I hate to give away my age, but. . .) this marks 50 years since I first started regularly listening to pop music. I just found a little known, very minor pop hit by Roy Clark (of "Hee Haw" fame) that mentions "Jeopardy" (the Art Fleming version obviously). It's sometime after the 2 minute mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ppQneAh-ew

"She's just as normal as she can be, she never misses Jeopardy."
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

(from current events thread whimsical follow ups)
ParrotRob wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:15 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:32 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:15 pm Kansas City Chiefs def. San Francisco 49ers 31-20 to win Super Bowl LIV. It's their first championship since Super Bowl IV in 1970, and the first title for KC head coach Andy Reid.

KC quarterback Patrick Mahomes was named Super Bowl MVP.
And just to clarify, the Chiefs represent Kansas City, Missouri, not Kansas City, Kansas.
Says who? Yeah, they play in Missouri, but I'm petty sure they "represent" the entire metro area across both states.
Edit: just now saw the President's Kansas post which clearly prompted this post, but just because he's only half right doesn't mean we should only be the other half right.
Anyone can have a typo for "pretty" and that is perfectly OK and hunky dory :lol:. I don't even have a problem with "covfefe". These postings are just for fun, so political rant is spoilered :). I didn't post on original thread as that just makes more work for the trimming operation at the end of the year ;) .
Spoiler
What is not OK is to give President Trump the benefit of the doubt and credit for being "half right", There is no credible reason to believe he knew (when he posted) that the city of Kansas City is in Missouri. He will never own his ignorance, and his apologists have already struck with the same flawed explanation involving the border neighbor or the New York teams playing venues. Yes, by some tortured loophole the statement is not completely false. But it is far from "half right".

Spoiler
The confusion about Kansas City being a Missouri city is more common than you'd suppose, and is perfectly tolerable from the general public. We are not that self-important here in flyover country and we just explain it nicely and move on. But Trump is a semi-literate ignoramus who not only doesn't know anything about flyover country, he also doesn't care anything about the 99%er's who live here.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Given the smoothness of the Caucuses on the Republican side, and the absolute clusterf#*k it was for the Democrats, I propose letting only Republicans count the votes in November. :P
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

An interesting story about the no-clock 4th quarter that will be tested at the NBA All-Star game this year:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/n ... 654467002/
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:35 am An interesting story about the no-clock 4th quarter that will be tested at the NBA All-Star game this year:

I don't hate that idea. That last minute is the absolute worst.

Old Deadspin stat crunch from 2014's NCAA March Madness
https://deadspin.com/how-long-does-the- ... 1552305066
the average final minute took 5:57 to finish, with a median of 5:29.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 pm
cinemaniax7 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:35 am An interesting story about the no-clock 4th quarter that will be tested at the NBA All-Star game this year:

Make this happen! I never heard about this before, but I gave up caring about or watching any basketball 30 years ago because of this end of game crap. Even with DVR's to compress it, the end of the game is just fugly. They probably need to restrict time-out usage as well, as no coach will be willing to end the game with a "tactical" time-out "in their pocket". (He should have used a tie-out to call a play, rest his players, break their momentum, etc... yawn.).

I hope the new baseball 3 hitter minimum improves that sport's spectator friendliness. I would have liked them to just say you have to allow a baserunner before being pulled, but it may work just as well.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:12 am
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 pm

Make this happen! I never heard about this before, but I gave up caring about or watching any basketball 30 years ago because of this end of game crap. Even with DVR's to compress it, the end of the game is just fugly. They probably need to restrict time-out usage as well, as no coach will be willing to end the game with a "tactical" time-out "in their pocket". (He should have used a tie-out to call a play, rest his players, break their momentum, etc... yawn.).

I hope the new baseball 3 hitter minimum improves that sport's spectator friendliness. I would have liked them to just say you have to allow a baserunner before being pulled, but it may work just as well.
Since there's no time clock to goose, the use of timeouts shouldn't be a problem.

I'm looking forward to the 3 hitter minimum, too (been waiting for it since it was announced). Nothing like rotating in the whole bullpen to kill end game momentum...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:26 am I'm looking forward to the 3 hitter minimum, too (been waiting for it since it was announced). Nothing like rotating in the whole bullpen to kill end game momentum...
That is such a moronic rule.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:28 am
Volante wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:26 am I'm looking forward to the 3 hitter minimum, too (been waiting for it since it was announced). Nothing like rotating in the whole bullpen to kill end game momentum...
because in no sport whatsoever does flopping happen.

yeah, rule is pointless the moment pitcher gets signal from dugout to have his arm hurt too much to go on
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:03 pm

yeah, rule is pointless the moment pitcher gets signal from dugout to have his arm hurt too much to go on
Easy fix, if they want to: issue a base on balls if the pitcher hasn't given up a baserunner or faced three hitters :). Maybe the teams will find a sense of shame and not pull the fake injury trick. Except the Astros, of course.
Volante

Post by Volante »

You'd get away with that once, at most, especially if you don't put the pitcher on the 15 day DL following it. There are too many games and the sport's too data driven for anyone to not realize, "Huh, this team's pitchers get injured a lot more now compared to last year."
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Easy fix, if they want to: issue a base on balls if the pitcher hasn't given up a baserunner or faced three hitters :). Maybe the teams will find a sense of shame and not pull the fake injury trick. Except the Astros, of course.
I haven't watched since the 1994 strike, but the game has changed so much, so I need to ask: why would a team pull a pitcher if that pitcher hasn't given up a baserunner?

Also, to your easy fix: what if pitcher comes in with 2 outs in the 5th, strikes out first batter, then because it's the National League, is replaced by a pinch hitter. Does the first batter for the other team go directly to 1st base to start off the next inning?
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:53 pm
I haven't watched since the 1994 strike, but the game has changed so much, so I need to ask: why would a team pull a pitcher if that pitcher hasn't given up a baserunner?
Wow, you really HAVE been away from baseball for a while! In today's game of statistics and hyper-analysis thereof, it's not uncommon at all for managers to change pitchers to gain even the smallest (perceived) advantage - regardless of how the current pitcher is doing. Especially very late in the game and protecting a very fragile lead (e.g. one run lead, tying run in scoring position, etc).

Hmmm... Johnson is up next. He's 5 for 14 lifetime against the guy pitching now, and only 1 for 9 against the guy in the bullpen, time for a change!
This is complicated by managers deliberately staggering lefty and righty hitters in the batting order to try to force the other manager's hand.

Add this all up and a single half-inning can take 20-30 minutes with three pitching changes, pinch hitters, pinch runners, warmups, the commercial breaks that accompany pitching changes, etc. Hello four hour playoff game.
--
Drowning in the pool