2020 Online Test announced - Jan 28, 29, 30

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: 2020 Online Test announced - Jan 28, 29, 30

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I just wanted to wish everyone here taking the test in the next few days the very best of luck.

I will be taking mine on Tuesday, and I pray that the Pop Culture gods are kind to me. Please just be obvious Billie Eilish and Game of Thrones/The Crown references :mrgreen:
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Woof wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:13 pm Good luck to everyone this go-round. I'm swimming in the pool so must sit this one out.
Looks and sounds like there's no option to register to take it just for fun, and because I auditioned in Vegas last August, taking the test this time might... put my status at risk? Guess I'll have to wait for the sherder videos then. Thanks in advance, Sue! Good luck to all.
In and out of the pool four times
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

reddpen wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:32 am
Woof wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:13 pm Good luck to everyone this go-round. I'm swimming in the pool so must sit this one out.
Looks and sounds like there's no option to register to take it just for fun, and because I auditioned in Vegas last August, taking the test this time might... put my status at risk? Guess I'll have to wait for the sherder videos then. Thanks in advance, Sue! Good luck to all.

It goes on youtube pretty quick, and that link is posted here, so take it for fun here
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

There's really nothing to keep you from registering with a throwaway email address and taking the test for fun.
--
Drowning in the pool
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

You're welcome! Its the least I can do for the community.

I'm sending positive thoughts that you get the call!
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I took the test in person at Trivia Nationals last summer, but my name was not on the list for the next part of the audition. Is it against the rules for me to take the online test?
Just a person who loves game shows.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:39 am I took the test in person at Trivia Nationals last summer, but my name was not on the list for the next part of the audition. Is it against the rules for me to take the online test?
grey areas are wonderful...

Take the test now, and if you get emailed for an audition, let them know about TN and leave the decision up to you, that way, no harm done to anyone and you didn't break any rules.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

QuizGeek75 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:39 am I took the test in person at Trivia Nationals last summer, but my name was not on the list for the next part of the audition. Is it against the rules for me to take the online test?
You can take the test. You are only in the pool from that audition if you were called back. The first part (the written test) can be considered the equivalent of another online test.

I'm in the same boat as you - didn't get a call back from that test, and I plan to do the online test tonight.

Best of luck!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Looking at this week's contestant lineup on jeopardy.com, all the men appearing on the show have a beard. So if you want to get on and you don't have one, you know what you need to do!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:53 pm Looking at this week's contestant lineup on jeopardy.com, all the men appearing on the show have a beard. So if you want to get on and you don't have one, you know what you need to do!
Never gonna happen.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:53 pm Looking at this week's contestant lineup on jeopardy.com, all the men appearing on the show have a beard. So if you want to get on and you don't have one, you know what you need to do!
Well that explains why I didn't get the call yet...that must be it.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I'm wondering if TPTB adjust the passing score based on how people do on each sitting. At this point, they have LOTS of historical data plus tens, if not hundreds, of thousands, taking each test. In the very old days (like when I first took the test back in 1985), the passing score was announced as 35. If I were running this process, I might make the passing score something like the top X% of the scores for each administration. As long as the quality of test takers doesn't really vary from night to night, that automatically compensates for tests having varying difficulty. I think that TPTB do an excellent job at making all tests have equal difficulty, but it's unreasonable to think that they can always make them have equal difficulty.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:51 pm
Well that explains why I didn't get the call yet...that must be it.
Trust me, that isn't it. I've auditioned with and without a beard and haven't been called.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

slam wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:51 pm I'm wondering if TPTB adjust the passing score based on how people do on each sitting. At this point, they have LOTS of historical data plus tens, if not hundreds, of thousands, taking each test. In the very old days (like when I first took the test back in 1985), the passing score was announced as 35. If I were running this process, I might make the passing score something like the top X% of the scores for each administration. As long as the quality of test takers doesn't really vary from night to night, that automatically compensates for tests having varying difficulty. I think that TPTB do an excellent job at making all tests have equal difficulty, but it's unreasonable to think that they can always make them have equal difficulty.
I think after a certain point, they're not concerned with your knowledge base. They just want people up there who can answer at minimum a certain of the questions, so that someone isn't just standing and staring the whole show, and so that clue after clue isn't a triple stumper. Finding an uberchamp like Ken is nice, but as long as they see you're passable in terms of raw knowledge, the charm offensive is probably more important - enunciation, volume, enthusiasm, being relatable, having a good backstory, etc. I call it "Zbornaks Rule" - Dorothy from the Golden Girls auditioned for J! in an episode (a rite of passage in every 80s sitcom, ala "Clavin's Rule"), and she didn't get on because nobody would root for her.

If there's absolutely no knowledge overlap, and all three contestants know just 50% of the material, that only leaves 7.5 triple stumpers per game on both boards, on average - which is probably a little more than they'd like. I'd argue that the average J! contestant probably knows way more than 50%, but that there's also way more overlap.

Plus, if the online tests aren't equal, the equalizer will be the audition test.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Thanks for helping me understand the process, @triviawayne and @boson. I appreciate the tips. :)
Just a person who loves game shows.