Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 28, 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 28, 2020

Post by cf1140 »

Played off Sherder's video, and like many others I got a personal high score as well with 49/50.

Lone miss was the pop culture question #11. Guessed Post Malone.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

sarisson wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:44 pm 48! I'm still in the pool until March so I took it off sherder's video.
Were you at the September 2018 audition in Philadelphia? Because March is when my dip in the pool ends too.

Also took today's off of the video but only managed 45/50. Totally blanked on a couple I kicked myself for just afterward.
--
Drowning in the pool
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Stupid question, and I'm 99% sure the answer is "nobody knows for sure", but...what are the criteria for getting the audition email? Is it simply a pass/fail test (ie if the cutoff is 35, then scoring 36 is as good as scoring 47), or do they have a "weighted lottery" where you're more likely to be picked the more you get right? I mean, I guess you have to pass a second audition test once you get there, so they probably do want to invite the high-40 folk to ensure they have people who can pass a second time. Personally, I know I'm iffy at best, but I was on the right side of iffy tonight.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm Stupid question, and I'm 99% sure the answer is "nobody knows for sure", but...what are the criteria for getting the audition email? Is it simply a pass/fail test (ie if the cutoff is 35, then scoring 36 is as good as scoring 47), or do they have a "weighted lottery" where you're more likely to be picked the more you get right? I mean, I guess you have to pass a second audition test once you get there, so they probably do want to invite the high-40 folk to ensure they have people who can pass a second time. Personally, I know I'm iffy at best, but I was on the right side of iffy tonight.
Not sure, but yes, you definitely take another test in person at the audition. Same random-category format, written answers. Pretty sure it's to weed out any online cheaters. And no, they don't tell you how many you got right at the audition either - it just goes into your super-secret file.
--
Drowning in the pool
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:25 pm ...

I know the wives of VII are a J! favorite. Why did I not memorize them? And why did I not think of using "divorced BEHEADED died"? She's the only one that was beheaded - and I literally saw a musical about the six wives just a few months ago!

It's Divorced-Beheaded-Died-Divorced-Beheaded-Survived. Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves were divorced; Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard were beheaded; Jane Seymour died; Katherine Parr survived.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Not a very difficult test. Perfect score.
Douglas Squasoni
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

Couldn't take the test today because of work, but got 41. Could have been 43 by rereading the Tunisia question and by remembering how to turn "eulogy" into a verb :lol: Going to take it tomorrow ^_^
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

It's tautology to say I thought this one was very easy. Last-five-second pulls on Grande, James, and a brain fart correction from Pennywhite.

Will take for real on Thursday.

Again. Starting to wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

I took the test off YouTube for fun since I'm still in the pool. I got 44, which I'm pretty sure is better than either time I actually took it and got auditions.

I missed the Muslim pilgrimage, the French President, the Jaffa fruit, the vodka thing, the constellation, and the baseball team. Figured out the fruit too late to change my answer in the time allowed.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

In the pool since August so JFF off the sherder video and got 46/50, missing
Spoiler
Byron (Tennyson), E. L. James (wagged Meyer), taxidermy (typed taxonomy!), and Frozen (Wicked).
Felt a tad easier than some I've taken. We'll see what the next two days hold.
kmwest wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:23 pm What is the minimum score to potentially get called for an audition?
Usual passing score is said to be 35
talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:25 pm I know the wives of VIII are a J! favorite. Why did I not memorize them? And why did I not think of using "divorced BEHEADED died"? She's the only one that was beheaded - and I literally saw a musical about the six wives just a few months ago!
Katherine Howard was also beheaded, as leszekp has beaten me to pointing out. I blame celebratory B&J's and the Aussie Open.
JK2010 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:38 pm Is just "James" enough for the 50 Shades Q? I couldnt remember the initials, but there are lots of other authors with the last name James (Henry, PD, etc).
Don't see how you could not get credit for James.
In and out of the pool four times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:01 am
talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:25 pm I know the wives of VIII are a J! favorite. Why did I not memorize them? And why did I not think of using "divorced BEHEADED died"? She's the only one that was beheaded - and I literally saw a musical about the six wives just a few months ago!
Katherine Howard was also beheaded, as leszekp has beaten me to pointing out. I blame celebratory B&J's and the Aussie Open.
My mnemonic for which Catherine is the following anagram--"Ow!" (her head in cart).

MIssed 5. Blanked on Fifty Shades author (couldn't get "Gray" out of my head), tomato for orange, Pennyworth for Penny...well, what was it. Wise? Matilda for Wicked (though I realized Dahl was already represented), and no idea on the TV show.

Btw, Jeopardy!, ALL anniversaries are "year" anniversaries. Please don't contribute to the downdumbing of the language.

Took this one for practice. "Fun" doesn't seem quite the word. I'll try to take it for real tomorrow but we'll see.

After signing up yesterday, I noticed I was recorded as having taken the test twice in the past five years, but I'm sure I took it every year. I never had a technical problem that I had noticed. And I never close that window afterward; I always wait for them to do it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MartinMoore
Contributor

Post by MartinMoore »

Got about 46, which would tie my best score ever (this is my 8th test, I think.) Thought it was easier than past years.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Put me down for 43. I missed the Hawking question (put Sagan just to say something), chose the wrong wife for Henry VIII (Jane Seymour), lost the coin flip on Byron/Tennyson, couldn't remember E.L. James (knew "E.L" but knew it wasn't Doctorow), no idea on Ariana Grande, had no idea on the reference work (put OED even though I knew it wasn't right), and didn't know "Rebecca".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Wish I had taken it last night, 41 which is my best ever. Missed Byron (Tennyson), Orwell, Ibsen (blanked), Rebecca, Orange (cherry Koin), Genesis, Bizet, sagitarious, and MacBeth. Taking it for real tonight, so hoping for similar questions...
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

ParrotRob wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm
sarisson wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:44 pm 48! I'm still in the pool until March so I took it off sherder's video.
Were you at the September 2018 audition in Philadelphia? Because March is when my dip in the pool ends too.

Also took today's off of the video but only managed 45/50. Totally blanked on a couple I kicked myself for just afterward.
Yes! I was there the morning of September 12. There were so many of us at that session that we split into two rooms. Dave Leffler, who got called about a month later, was in my room.
Hoping for a third lap
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got 48, only missing the reference book ("English language" in the clue made me think dictionaries and I didn't come to my senses until it was too late) and the French president (I was stuck on Hollande, knew that was old news, and couldn't do better than "Who beat Marine Le Pen" for the current one). Under slightly different circumstances I could have gotten those.
lincoln23
Contributor

Post by lincoln23 »

45, which is probably the best of 11 or so online tests I've taken. And the 5 misses were ones I conceivably could have gotten with a little more time, or guessing the right way. So definitely easier than usual.
davey

Post by davey »

ParrotRob wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:44 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm Stupid question, and I'm 99% sure the answer is "nobody knows for sure", but...what are the criteria for getting the audition email? Is it simply a pass/fail test (ie if the cutoff is 35, then scoring 36 is as good as scoring 47), or do they have a "weighted lottery" where you're more likely to be picked the more you get right? I mean, I guess you have to pass a second audition test once you get there, so they probably do want to invite the high-40 folk to ensure they have people who can pass a second time. Personally, I know I'm iffy at best, but I was on the right side of iffy tonight.
Not sure, but yes, you definitely take another test in person at the audition. Same random-category format, written answers. Pretty sure it's to weed out any online cheaters. And no, they don't tell you how many you got right at the audition either - it just goes into your super-secret file.
The great thing about having an objective standard is, they don't have to worry about cheaters. If you meet the standard in the room, you've qualified. Then they can bring their subjective judgments to bear.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Fairly certain I got 42, which is my best performance in recent memory! A few tip-of-my-fingers (Valhalla, Dodgers) and one I wrote read too fast (Orion for Sagittarius), but otherwise felt pretty strong. One that I kicked myself for missing was Jaffa, knowing that from somewhere in the recesses of my mind. I only realized after a post-test Google that I knew Jaffa cakes, but not their namesake fruit. Guess I need to watch more Great British Bake-Off!

Plus, this is the first time EVER an audition city is actually where I live. Hoping this is a good omen and I'll see some of your smiling faces in Indy soon!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

40/50