Tuesday, January 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (M.I.A. was my only miss. Negged with Nas.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cirrus, Gibraltar, Interjection, Adverb, Preposition, Base Exchange, General Issue, Horatio, Mary Leakey, Maine
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I got something right Lucario missed? :shock:
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 pm Lot of trash in this game but I probably won't get around to a fourth podium poll. Count it up yourself and report the results if you feel like it.
Gibraltar, Interjection, Adverb, Base Exchange, Cirrus, General, Preposition, Leakey, Maine, Horatio = 9600. +Tripoli
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

PARTS OF SPEECH, DEFINED ($800)
They "typically express some relation of place, time, manner..."

PARTS OF SPEECH, DEFINED ($1000)
They "typically express a spatial, temporal, or other relationship"

Other than the word "manner," these two quotations mean exactly the same thing, don't they? I negged on the $800 with "preposition" and then knew it must be right on the $1000. Did the writers' source (which they didn't cite) really give basically the same definition for two different parts of speech, or did they (the writers) simply quote the definitions in a way that created guaranteed negbait?
davey

Post by davey »

A Wray wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:13 am PARTS OF SPEECH, DEFINED ($800)

Other than the word "manner," these two quotations mean exactly the same thing, don't they? I negged on the $800 with "preposition" and then knew it must be right on the $1000. Did the writers' source (which they didn't cite) really give basically the same definition for two different parts of speech, or did they (the writers) simply quote the definitions in a way that created guaranteed negbait?
Yes, the word manner is what sets the 2 definitions apart (at least, it gave me little doubt what was required for that clue).
The 2 quotes appear to be standard definitions, easily found by googling....But-
Another part of the definition of preposition is used before nouns, pronouns, or other substantives to form phrases functioning as modifiers of verbs, nouns, or adjectives
So the case could be made that what they gave wasn't enough.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

A Wray wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:13 am PARTS OF SPEECH, DEFINED ($800)

I do remember keying in on "manner" for the $800 clue and that's what tipped me toward adverb. But yeah, that's pretty bad. Still, the only contestant guess on that clue was "pronoun". So I don't think they'd have been helped by better wording.

The culprit may be the Random House Unabridged Dictionary © 2020 which seems directly quoted or almost in both clues. See the second entry in each link:

https://www.wordreference.com/definition/adverb
https://www.wordreference.com/definition/preposition
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wasn't aware of another Tripoli. Went with Tunis.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

FJ was near-instaget as there are so few African capitals on the Mediterranean.

I'm surprised Necco was a category because NECCO (New England Confectionary Co.) went kaput in 2018. Their brands were bought by Spangler Candy of Ohio, but Necco wafers have disappeared from my local Dollar Tree. I'm not even sure they'll be back. The valentine hearts weren't marketed under the Necco name anyway.

A conversation you could have overheard one night at Dollar Tree:

20something woman (to other young woman): See those Necco wafers, they are just awful. They taste like chalk and leave marks like chalk.

Floridagator: I'm the head of marketing for NECCO, and I was going to hire you to be our new public relations flack, but now I'm not going to.

20something woman grins wildly.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Did they credit back for “beep me”?

Third correct answer:email me? Not as good as page/beep but given the wording of the clue......

How do some of things make it through QC?
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

danspartan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:28 pm Did they credit back for “beep me”?

Third correct answer:email me? Not as good as page/beep but given the wording of the clue......

I don't think "EMAIL ME" would pass the "now-outmoded" portion of the clue like PAGE and FAX do.
--
Drowning in the pool
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

danspartan wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:28 pm Did they credit back for “beep me”?

No credit back for "beep me". Along with the adverb/preposition clues, that clue was pretty bad, IMO. It had two correct answers, because NECCO did make hearts in the same year that said "PAGE ME" and "FAX ME". If they were going to make a clue about outmoded communication, they should have appended something like "that was a predecessor to texting" or "that comes out on paper".

Usually I find the clue writing to be quite clever and entertaining in J!, but this episode had a few clunkers, IMO - and not just because of the good ol' "I didn't get it".
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:28 pm No credit back for "beep me". Along with the adverb/preposition clues, that clue was pretty bad, IMO. It had two correct answers, because NECCO did make hearts in the same year that said "PAGE ME" and "FAX ME". If they were going to make a clue about outmoded communication, they should have appended something like "that was a predecessor to texting" or "that comes out on paper".
They did.
In 1998, between "Call me" & "Text me", came this 2-word phrase invoking now-outmoded telecommunications
The intended answer was 'Page Me', which fell between the land line (Call Me) and the cell phone (Text Me)

Fax Me I, personally, wouldn't have ruled right since faxes are still common but I think they were feeling generous since they didn't quantify 'outmoded'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:38 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:28 pm No credit back for "beep me". Along with the adverb/preposition clues, that clue was pretty bad, IMO. It had two correct answers, because NECCO did make hearts in the same year that said "PAGE ME" and "FAX ME". If they were going to make a clue about outmoded communication, they should have appended something like "that was a predecessor to texting" or "that comes out on paper".
They did.
In 1998, between "Call me" & "Text me", came this 2-word phrase invoking now-outmoded telecommunications
The intended answer was 'Page Me', which fell between the land line (Call Me) and the cell phone (Text Me)

Fax Me I, personally, wouldn't have ruled right since faxes are still common but I think they were feeling generous since they didn't quantify 'outmoded'
Sarah: What is "Page Me"?
Alex: Oh, we'll accept that. We were going for "Fax Me."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:38 pm
They did.

Sarah: What is "Page Me"?
Alex: Oh, we'll accept that. We were going for "Fax Me."
Son of a...
So much for a logical attack at that clue. Page Me made -much- more sense...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)