Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 28, 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), January 28, 2020

Post by Mark B »

47, but the only one I really didn't know was armadillo. This was as easy as I've seen them.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Agreed that this one felt easier, but so too did the written test at TN last summer. Maybe it's a trend? 47 (Post Malone for Arianna Grande, stupidly put Algeria instead of Libya [WESTERN border, Woof!] and blanked on Jung and put Adler). I also had trouble writing the full name Encyclopedia Britannica in the time provided, but I think that Encyclopedia Britanni would probably be accepted by TPTB. Of course, it's moot since I took it off sherder's video JFF.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Woof wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:23 pm Agreed that this one felt easier, but so too did the written test at TN last summer. Maybe it's a trend? 47 (Post Malone for Arianna Grande, stupidly put Algeria instead of Libya [WESTERN border, Woof!] and blanked on Jung and put Adler). I also had trouble writing the full name Encyclopedia Britannica in the time provided, but I think that Encyclopedia Britanni would probably be accepted by TPTB. Of course, it's moot since I took it off sherder's video JFF.
I'm pretty sure I just put "Britannica", since I think encyclopedia was in the clue. I don't think any of the clues required much more than 15 keystrokes, since they don't want to penalize poor typists. I know in a FJ! situation, you might be dinged, as the syllables in "Britanni" aren't the same as "Britannica", but I don't know if they go by FJ! rules.

I've always wondered about how they choose to accept various spellings. Is Watson smart enough to get "pneumonia" from "newmoanyeah"? They seem really breezy and blasé in their instructions - "Oh, we don't care how you spell it - just come close!" - but dammit, if I get dinged for forgetting a double "n" in Britannica, that's just silly.

I'd love to think that they manually check borderline tests to see if they can give credit for unanticipated misspellings, but given the number of people who try out, that could be quite a few.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

leszekp wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:25 pm ...

I know the wives of VII are a J! favorite. Why did I not memorize them? And why did I not think of using "divorced BEHEADED died"? She's the only one that was beheaded - and I literally saw a musical about the six wives just a few months ago!

It's Divorced-Beheaded-Died-Divorced-Beheaded-Survived. Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves were divorced; Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard were beheaded; Jane Seymour died; Katherine Parr survived.
I saw a cute mnemonic for this list. Think of it as a question mark.

Catherine of Aragon
............Anne Boleyn
.....................Jane Seymour
............Anne of Cleves
Catherine Howard
Catherine Parr

Ignore the dots. The formatting didn't come through when I used spaces.

Wives that line up vertically all have the same first name.
Other useful tidbits that help remember this list are that the Catherines and the Annes are all in alphabetical order within their groups. And in in the divorced, beheaded rhyme, the wives with "of" were important enough to be divorced.
Last edited by slam on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Got 47/50 playing from Sherder's video. Thanks, yet again! Will most likely take it for real Wednesday though I may wait until Thursday.

Got confused by the phrasing on the Tunisia question. Did they mean Tunisia's western border or the border of the question. When I figured this out a few seconds later, I ended up going the wrong direction with Algeria.

Drew a blank on Pennywise, even though I know it.

Drew a huge blank on the baseball question. Maybe I just didn't put the mental effort into the last question since I knew I would have passed easily. I certainly won't do that when taking the test for real.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

46/50 for fun, missing Dahl (blank - stared at BFG until time ran out) , orange (apple), Britannica (got lost thinking about Samuel Johnson's dictionary then scribbled Webster's at the last second) and Dodgers (Giants).

Rutgers is my alma mater and I'm a clown fanatic, so yeah, this test felt right

Good luck to all the audition lottery hopefuls!
goongas

Post by goongas »

42 from the video, I switched a correct answer to a wrong one, couple others I should have gotten...I never have scored more than 40.
earendel

Post by earendel »

kerryoakie wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:02 am Fairly certain I got 42, which is my best performance in recent memory! A few tip-of-my-fingers (Valhalla, Dodgers) and one I wrote read too fast (Orion for Sagittarius), but otherwise felt pretty strong. One that I kicked myself for missing was Jaffa, knowing that from somewhere in the recesses of my mind. I only realized after a post-test Google that I knew Jaffa cakes, but not their namesake fruit. Guess I need to watch more Great British Bake-Off!

Plus, this is the first time EVER an audition city is actually where I live. Hoping this is a good omen and I'll see some of your smiling faces in Indy soon!
From your mouth to God's ear. That's where I hope to be also.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

47/50 off the video, whereas I usually average around 40. I fully intended to take it last night and got distracted.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

sherder, you are a gentleman and a scholar for posting this thing. Many thanks.

I couldn't take this online last night so I took it just now on this site for practice. Got irked when I shot right out of the gate with 8 right in a row (for some reason my starts on these things usually suck), thinking I had wasted my best start ever on a practice test. Then I inexplicably conflated Keats for Byron and got back to more normal test functioning.

Had my usual blank stares on the pop culture/books/authors categories and had only one truly bad brain fart when I COULD. NOT. COME. UP. WITH. EULOGIZE. :roll:

Pretty much everything else was standard with me, including the, uh "Standard" clue, and I got 38 with no trouble. I'd prefer low 40s (my norm) but I would hope for this much when I take the test for real online tonight.

Thanks again, and good luck to all of you other wannabes who took this thing.
Golf

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:05 pm sherder, you are a gentleman and a scholar for posting this thing.
I beg to differ..... 8-) :lol:
Kingrat47
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Kingrat47 »

My numerological streak is envious of all of these tasteful 47s people seem to have put up. I got my first ever 50 - it did seem like a mildly easier test than usual. Good luck to all!
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

sarisson wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:37 am
ParrotRob wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm
sarisson wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:44 pm 48! I'm still in the pool until March so I took it off sherder's video.
Were you at the September 2018 audition in Philadelphia? Because March is when my dip in the pool ends too.

Also took today's off of the video but only managed 45/50. Totally blanked on a couple I kicked myself for just afterward.
Yes! I was there the morning of September 12. There were so many of us at that session that we split into two rooms. Dave Leffler, who got called about a month later, was in my room.
Yep, the split-room was the audition I was at. I don't remember Dave Leffler from the audition, so I suspect I was in the other room from you. Glenn Kagan was in my room. I remember nearly laughing out loud when my categories in the mock game included "THE PEN IS MIGHTIER"!
--
Drowning in the pool
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 am Not a very difficult test. Perfect score.
Damn it I lost a dollar. Knew I shouldn't have taken that bet even at 10,000 to 1 odds.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

48 playing from YouTube. Went Sagan for Hawking and misunderstood the S&P clue.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:39 pm
dts wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 pm Was #8 Standard or Sprint? I immediately went to the ticker symbol but thought it was worded strangely then thought S&P - "Standard" then thought I didn't see "S&P" anywhere... will have to look for the video.
Standard and Poors. I don't think I've ever seen a ticker symbol with an ampersand in it....
The clue was "this is the 'S' in the S&P 500 stock market index." One way of reading that clue is as asking for the stock, ticker symbol S, that is a component of the S&P 500. Turns out that Sprint is not a component of the S&P, so it's a moot point, but the clue could have been phrased more clearly.
Sprinkles are for winners.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Hopefully you disagree with the gentleman part and not the scholar. :D
Golf wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:09 pm
John Boy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:05 pm sherder, you are a gentleman and a scholar for posting this thing.
I beg to differ..... 8-) :lol:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:32 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 am Not a very difficult test. Perfect score.
Damn it I lost a dollar. Knew I shouldn't have taken that bet even at 10,000 to 1 odds.
The last time LSV missed a question on the contestant test, it was because he chiseled the wrong cuneiform answer into his stone tablet.
BobF

Post by BobF »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:48 pm Rutgers is my alma mater and I'm a clown fanatic, so yeah, this test felt right
Mine too!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

50/50. This did seem pretty easy overall to me compared to some others; eulogize was possible to not think of and I almost blanked on James.
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

44 off the video. Taking it for real tonight (and hoping I can stay awake and alert the whole time--fell asleep at 9:00 Tuesday & 10:15 last night. Test starts at 10 tonight my time, so yikes).