Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), January 29, 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hscer
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), January 29, 2020

Post by hscer »

38 for real yesterday, 38 for fake today. Are they making them particularly easy at the start? Both nights I've started strong and faded mid to late.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

41 (possibly 42 if I get lucky on the "partial answers will be considered" front). Passed again, completely blanked on Kondo and the word "bony."
Orgetorix
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Orgetorix »

36, pretty average for me. Brain farted on Jennifer Aniston, and didn’t pay attention to the Before and After category. Wrote and erased DDL’s name, then got two letters into retyping when I realized.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I got a 35 tonight taking it for real with two hours of studying beforehand. Yesterday, I got a 39 with one stupid miss without having done any studying. More difficult categories for me today than yesterday despite the (taunting?) gifts of "1970s Music" and "Superheroes", which, along with U.S. History questions, would be the categories I would most like to see. I stupidly blanked on Aaron Sorkin near the end when I was kind of pissed/rattled anyway and if the cutoff is 36, that will have killed me.

I haven't been called for an in person since 2006 (although I have not taken the test every year since) so I doubt it makes a difference.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I think if I replay this from the video I can get +35 :lol: . My previous 6 tests have averaged right at 35, maybe a low of 32 until today's personal worst of 28! I had 36 from the video yesterday, so this one just didn't fit me.

28 right - by groups of 10: 6,6,3,7,6
Mozarella, Anne, Mahatma only WAGS to hit.
Couldn’t get past “Kan Marie”, or pull Conrad and Aniston (another Jolie here) in time limit. Also missed Glastnost after pulling it right at the bell. Stupidly chose Ecosystem over Habitat and Clown over Barber, because, stupid.

I did change "tony pony" to "bony pony" right at the buzzer :lol: .
Good luck to all the boardies that are trying to get the call. I lowered the curve for everybody!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:22 pm My ass hurts from the beating it just took.

But I'm quite sure everybody else here will claim to score in the high 40's. :lol:
Hand on the Bible, right hand in the air..."Take off your hat!"

I do solemnly swear a 46/50.

Complete blank on the bartender's other name even with the starting letter and word length hints for exactly the kind of obvious thing that can catch me in 15 seconds.

Even spotted the "B"...another city in Norway? Uh, uh, uh... It was not until somewhere at least 20 clues later I thought of Lillehammer and not until after the test was done that a B, any kind of B up there occurred to me with Bothnia.

Nothing better than powder puff for the make-up remover while knowing it was wrong. I needed a time machine back to a Ringling Bros. Clown class in the 1970s for experience with the correct thing.

Another geography bust for the China river. My bad, though typical.

Unlike last night I needed to hit some guesses with the superhero lady, African-American female writer, dinosaur and video game. Tough to process and write quickly was the Lincoln actor to Alice writer. Barely able to solve in time was the rhyme time for the small horse.

Without question for one person's opinion is this test was more difficult than the one last night.

Starting off with the tidy woman seems like the kind of thing that could throw someone off for not knowing her and getting off to a rough start. I would have put something like the FL capital as the leader.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

45 today still for funsies. Missed Princess Anne (started with her, switched to Margaret), Aniston (said Jolie), Bergen, Sorkin and thought of Candy Crush but didn’t know they’d done a Saga.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:23 pm Without question for one person's opinion is this test was more difficult than the one last night.
For me, without a doubt. Only 38/50 tonight after what I considered pretty easy last night.

I absolutely despise superhero comics and movies, but I suppose at some point I will have to reluctantly study them.

Between the Finnish composer, the Norwegian city and the body of water, it would seem like someone had a Scandinavian fixation tonight.
--
Drowning in the pool
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

47 here, after 48 last night (playing for funsies as I am a current swimmer). Missed the 50/50/90 on Jolie/Aniston, got surprisingly close with a WAG of Bergstrom for Bergen, and bet on the wrong part of the roulette wheel with Scarlet Witch instead of Black Widow.
satori wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:23 pm Got 36, at the higher end of my usual range. Thought of 3 right after time expired: Kondo, Aslan, Mulan(!!). Waffled for a moment on whether numismatics is coins or stamps; made the right choice.
You have apparently never heard the joke about the guy who tried to invite a girl up to his room to view his stamp collection.
Spoiler
She replied, "Philately will get you nowhere."
Mr. Mastodon Farm wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 pm Somewhere between 37 and 39, depending on whether I fixed my my typo from "perestroikla" to "perestroika" in time (pretty sure I did, but it was close) and whether they give me credit for "breach" instead of "the breach."
"Breach" will certainly be counted correct, but the correct response on the Soviet clue was glasnost.
Sprinkles are for winners.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

After scoring a 47 playing from the video last night, dropped to a 41 tonight. Definitely harder. The difference was not only because of the "real" vs. the "simulated" taking of the test.

Started off great with a quick 12 in a row. Drew a blank on mixologist, not my only blank of the night.

Then I missed three(!) in a row with two blanks (Bergen which I had no real shot at and Hasbro which should have been easy for) and India instead of Afghanistan (mentally glitch confusing Rushdie's Midnight Children as being written by Hosseini instead).

Then I typed ulna and changed it to humerus. Ugh!

Answered Charlemagne for William the Conqueror. Pure brain fart!

Drew a total blank on cold cream which I certainly know about.

Finally missed two of the last three. Drew a blank on bony pony. Had no real shot at Candy Crush Saga, but did take a stab with Candyland so the right answer must have been in my head somewhere. But still, close but no cigar.

In any event, I'd be surprised if 41 isn't a passing score. So, all I've lost is pride points.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

44 yesterday, 38 today, and frustratingly, seeing some answers I should know, but didn't pull.

Stuff like Coleridge, Sebelius, and Bergen.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
FS7
Contributor

Post by FS7 »

I took the test last night and got a 45. By far my best score (last year was a 41, which was also my best score at the time).

Tonight I got either a 34 (or 35, if perestroika were to be accepted, though that seems a bit unlikely). Fortunately it was just for fun, and last night's was real, though this does make me wonder that on the off chance I got an audition I'd get stuck with a test like this that, relatively speaking, I bomb.

Maybe it's a matter of the categories but this seemed pretty hard. Sometimes it's a matter of getting lucky on guesses - tonight I guessed correctly only on Morrison, and that wasn't that hard. Last night I guessed correctly on six. Makes a lot of difference.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:22 pm My ass hurts from the beating it just took.

But I'm quite sure everybody else here will claim to score in the high 40's. :lol:
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:23 pm Hand on the Bible, right hand in the air..."Take off your hat!"

I do solemnly swear a 46/50.
46? Pfft. That's not high 40's, that's mid 40's. MID 40's sir.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

All 50 right for the second day in a row.

"Common Knowledge" asks a lot of questions relating to Marie Kondo. No way I was missing her.

Wasn't missing Jordan Peele since he has popped up many times in recent days.

Hopefully Jeff didn't bet another dollar on me tonight.
Douglas Squasoni
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Once more into #27, my friends. JFF again (thx, SH!), this time managing 44/50 after 46 last night. Misses:
Spoiler
Kondo (always fun to start with a whiff--typed Kim to avoid a blank), Bergen, Hasbro (no guess for either), Black Widow (Storm, a total WAG), bony pony (about 3 seconds too late), Candy Crush (left it blank)
Best guesses or late gets/changes:
Spoiler
Peele, Aniston, cold cream, Grieg --> Sibelius
Woof, I recall thinking the Vegas test was pretty easy too, but after they collected them, Maggie Speak was all "How 'bout that test: pretty rough, huh?" and I was all shrug emoji and she noticed and said something like "This guy doesn't think so." Uh, not really, nope. I've taken tough J! tests, but that (nor either of these so far) wasn't one of them.

Continued best wishes to those hoping to join us in the pool.
In and out of the pool four times
goongas

Post by goongas »

37 for me off the video vs 42 last night, more in my normal range...Rhyme time I thought of too late, another question I thought of the correct answer too late.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

46 for real yesterday

39 for fun today

8-)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Missed the first. don't know nothin bout no tidyin up.
Missed the last. Feel like I probably should have thought of it.

Guess on Black Widow, but guessed right.

The rest was gravy, though Sorkin took a bit to summon.

Still for fun; tomorrow for real. Here's hoping it feels as easy as these first two.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got at least 43. The only one I actually gave a wrong wrong answer for is Jennifer Aniston. I said Angelina Jolie. I missed at least three due to time out. I was trying to coin flip between Hasbro and Mattel and time ran out. Then there were about three others where I didn't even field a guess.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

I got 44 when I took the test for real yesterday, and I got 42 this time as practice, but it felt like mid to high 30s at best because of the WAGs.

Missed Marie Kondo (NHO her, guessed Martha Stewart), Jennifer Aniston (said Angelina Jolie), Black Widow (WAG w/Red Sparrow), cold cream (powder puff), and blanked on "mixologist", The Philippines, breach, and Candy Crush.