Thursday, January 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

Happy birthday, Sarah!
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ADVERTISING & MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2008, 34 years after it made Billboard’s Top 10, this song title was used by a southern state in a tourism campaign

Joshua Swiger: 21000-7500=13500
Michelle Paul: 13400+4500=17900 (New Champ)
David Haughney: 4200+3577=7777

Correct response:
Spoiler
”Sweet Home Alabama” (Joshua – Georgia Carolina on my Mind

Daily Doubles
Michelle: 3400-2000
Joshua: 3000+3000
Joshua: 12800+5000

Coryats
Joshua: 17000
Michelle: 15400
David: 4200

Combined: 36,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Joshua: 4200
Michelle: 4600
David: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BIG PLAYS IN THE TEAM'S SUPER BOWL WIN was left for last and probably good thing. Joshua got the $600, $200 was TS and then time ran out. In an alternate timeline Joshua screwed up and should not have let the category sit. He gets the unseen clues and has more to be on DD2 and DD3 to lock the game to neutralize the FJ! round.

We and he will never know. What I do know is my Coryat took a $2200 hit as I can't imagine anything I would neg or not know for regular J! play.

At least the players completed REBOOTS for things remade in the TV and or movie field to give me a snap $6K.

At DD3 Joshua would have needed to bet at least 10800 of 12800 at clue 21 with Michelle at 11400 to get the lock or lock-tie. Not going to happen as J! players don't do that.

The FJ! category had me try one stab with Coca-Cola in thinking of the "Hilltop" ad. Nope, the clue was geography and math more than advertising. 2008-34=1974. That year is not really my era, but in running the states of the South it did not take long to find a reasonable match for a FJ! round plausible song.

Tough break for Joshua as that is a neighbor/friends/family know it type miss with the correct response one of those unavoidable reminder kind for the rest of his life. Someone tell Reese Witherspoon or Josh Lucas to send him a sympathetic tweet.

Michelle was lucky the DD1 trap did not cost her the game. BOOTS in the $400 box had her do 3400-2000 and instead of the clue being fully in the footwear field it was more an unhappy for her surprise sports clue.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Got detoured by John Denver for a moment, then realized that not only was it the wrong year, but the state (W. Virginia) wasn't even in the song title. "Georgia on My Mind" was even older, so that left only one reasonable answer.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Joshua lost a LOT of money on FJ!. 13400 * 2 = 26800. 26800 + 1 = 26801. 26801 - 21000 = 5801. 21000 - 5801 = 15199. 15199 > 13400. 15199 = $15199. $15199 + $1000 = $16199. At minimum.

Please, for the sake of my own sanity - all you jboardies who have the wonderful opportunity to get on Jeopardy, learn at least basic wagering strategy. I'll admit - I get a little flustered when I have to think about third place, so I often ignore it. Y'all are way smarter than me on trivia, and I'm working a little bit to catch up. And ultimately, yeah, that's probably more important than knowing how to play the wagering game. But I can't see how this would take much more than 15 to 30 minutes of time to figure out before you go on the show. Unlike memorizing 195 world capitals, which is a REAL pain.

I'm a little confused with Michelle's wager, too. If you get it wrong, and you assume Joshua is playing GTO (game theory optimal), you have no shot at winning if Joshua gets it right. So you either push all-in and maximize your *Gilbert voice* "one day cash winnings" for when he DOES get it wrong, or you hold back some depending on whether you want the extra $1000 for coming in second. I guess 4500 is okay, but 5000 is better.

Am I missing something? I'd love to be wrong, because learning new things is cool. The automated advice from the archive says:

Joshua: Wager $5,801 to cover Michelle, but no more than $12,599 so as not to fall behind David's doubled score.

I don't see the need to wager $12,599 unless you're sure Michelle is going to flame out.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Shoretegy would have paid off in this instance.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:54 pm Joshua lost a LOT of money on FJ!. 13400 * 2 = 26800. 26800 + 1 = 26801. 26801 - 21000 = 5801. 21000 - 5801 = 15199. 15199 > 13400. 15199 = $15199. $15199 + $1000 = $16199. At minimum.

Please, for the sake of my own sanity - all you jboardies who have the wonderful opportunity to get on Jeopardy, learn at least basic wagering strategy. I'll admit - I get a little flustered when I have to think about third place, so I often ignore it. Y'all are way smarter than me on trivia, and I'm working a little bit to catch up. And ultimately, yeah, that's probably more important than knowing how to play the wagering game. But I can't see how this would take much more than 15 to 30 minutes of time to figure out before you go on the show. Unlike memorizing 195 world capitals, which is a REAL pain.

I'm a little confused with Michelle's wager, too. If you get it wrong, and you assume Joshua is playing GTO (game theory optimal), you have no shot at winning if Joshua gets it right. So you either push all-in and maximize your *Gilbert voice* "one day cash winnings" for when he DOES get it wrong, or you hold back some depending on whether you want the extra $1000 for coming in second. I guess 4500 is okay, but 5000 is better.

Am I missing something? I'd love to be wrong, because learning new things is cool. The automated advice from the archive says:

Joshua: Wager $5,801 to cover Michelle, but no more than $12,599 so as not to fall behind David's doubled score.

I don't see the need to wager $12,599 unless you're sure Michelle is going to flame out.
Yes, if Joshua bets 5801 then he falls to 15199 on a miss. Let's go ahead and give that to him today as you wish. Michelle with 17900 wins and turns that into dollars. Joshua still gets $2000 for 2nd place. Joshua lost nothing more with his 7500 wager and would have won more if he got it right.

Michelle with 4500 got herself above the needed 15199 spot. If she had missed then 8900 would have made sure that David could not pass her for 2nd place. Yes, if Michelle does not care about 2nd vs. 3rd then she can bet more and even all if she so chooses.

Joshua cannot know what Michelle will do as 2nd place in that position is always unpredictable. Joshua made sure he would be above 26800 on a get and that is what matters in looking for the front door.

If Joshua wanted to try to guess what Michelle would do then looking back at DD1 with 3400-2000 could indicate she might not go hog crazy with her FJ! wager. If Joshua is willing to gamble on Michelle at least making sure she stays above David then the most she will have is 18399. Joshua can then take the risk of 2601 (or lower). Today with hindsight it would have worked out.

The next time such possibility arises watch and pay attention to how it would not.

It's fine to want the FJ! wagers set in stone while others may allow for wiggle room.

For another common wager let's say that Michelle went for anticipating that Joshua would stay pat or wanting to be a buck above his starting point. She then tries to win with a 7601 bet in attempting to get to 21001. On a fail she drops to 5799, now below David. Joshua bet more than 5801 but with his 7500 he still wins with 13500 if Michelle has the incorrect response.

Yes, it can be a lot to follow. Just know that sometimes there is contestant's choice involved without the wagering police being needed.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:57 am Got detoured by John Denver for a moment, then realized that not only was it the wrong year, but the state (W. Virginia) wasn't even in the song title. "Georgia on My Mind" was even older, so that left only one reasonable answer.
I couldn't get "Georgia On My Mind" out of my head to save my life. Womp womp.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:57 am Got detoured by John Denver for a moment, then realized that not only was it the wrong year, but the state (W. Virginia) wasn't even in the song title.
Ditto; also tried to make "Virginia is For Lovers" work but couldn't remember a song by that title. Is there one?

I don't understand why the correct response works as a tourism slogan. If the state is your domicile, you're not a tourist, are you?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:18 pm It's fine to want the FJ! wagers set in stone while others may allow for wiggle room.
This game would be boring AF if everyone's Final Jeopardy! wagers were set in stone.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:47 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:57 am Got detoured by John Denver for a moment, then realized that not only was it the wrong year, but the state (W. Virginia) wasn't even in the song title.
Ditto; also tried to make "Virginia is For Lovers" work but couldn't remember a song by that title. Is there one?

It seems Jordin Sparks recorded a song with that title in 2007. Not a hit, though.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

"Sweet Nice-Place-To-Visit-But-Wouldn't-Want-To-Live-There Alabama" wasn't a hit, either, I presume.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO Beto O'Rourke and had no idea what a biopsy is.

I really struggled on that Bible category. Almost WAGged Cain on $400, blanked on Solomon, no clue on the next two down, got only $2,000.

Other than that, I found these boards somewhat on the easy side again. is this a good thing?

1970s song about a Southern state? Sweet Home Alabama it is.

Lach Trash: Beatles, granny boots
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $48,000 (51R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT ($4400): polo (DD), The Beatles, New York Giants, Copenhagen, Samson

New Coryat record for me. I missed only two clues total in DJ, both in the Bible category (Saul and Pontius Pilate). Likely would’ve broken $50K if they had finished the Super Bowl category.

I went to Sweet Home Alabama right away in FJ, and the year only confirmed it. Both of Joshua’s answers were too early. He had the added misfortune of ending up with an incorrect song title as his final answer; the James Taylor song is called “Carolina in My Mind”. He would’ve been wrong even if he was right.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:31 pm NHO Beto O'Rourke and had no idea what a biopsy is.
Based on his success, most of the country has NHO Robert Francis "Beto" O'Rourke.
--
Drowning in the pool
goongas

Post by goongas »

I went with Midnight Train to Georgia...Year was only one off...
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $34,200 (43 R, 1W)
DD 1/3
FJ :(

The Boots, Reboots, and Bible categories kicked my rear. NHO Chukka boots and didn't know polo had periods, so I had zero chance on DD1. Negged with Amsterdam on $2000 Capitals, and I knew it was Copenhagen. That was frustrating. Looking back, I'm amazed I managed a 34k Coryat with three horrible categories, a $2k neg in a wheelhouse category, and multiple unplayed clues in a favorable category. The math checks out, though.

I thought Joshua had the potential to make a run, he lived my personal Jeopardy nightmare of playing a strong game then getting eliminated on a pop culture FJ.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I froze on the reddit question, despite literally having looked at reddit before going through J! tonight. Oh well - "alien logo" had me thinking about Alienware, but that's a company that makes gaming computers, and may be slightly outisde the J! canon without a lot more TOM. At least I clamed, unlike making the same dumb "Hawaii 5-0 / Magnum P.I." mixup that ruined my run of reboots.

For your entertainment and for Joshua's, I submit:
http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

69 regular series jellyfish clues (including one category of five clues not about jellyfish, and one that is!), and one FJ! jellyfish clue. So, Alex, there IS a jellyfish category!

Georgia on my Mind came to my mind first. I didn't swat it out because of the era (although looking back, it's easy to see that Ray Charles' famous recording was WAY earlier than the 1974), but because I lived in Georgia in the 90s, and I'm pretty sure I saw Georgia tourism ads with "Georgia on my Mind" all over the place - so it was too early to be a "new" slogan in 2008. After that, swinging over to Alabama made it an instaget. I thought the year might have been a little later (76 or 77), but it seemed close enough, and I couldn't see another good popular song with the state's name in the title.

Parting thought: That clue crew clue was agonizingly long! I guess they had to include the implied plug for the Smithsonian's private funding, but still....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:55 pm I froze on the reddit question, despite literally having looked at reddit before going through J! tonight. Oh well - "alien logo" had me thinking about Alienware, but that's a company that makes gaming computers, and may be slightly outisde the J! canon without a lot more TOM.
I had pretty much the same thought. I've looked at the Reddit logo a billion times but somehow never processed it as being an alien.