Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), January 29, 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), January 29, 2020

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm What baffled me was the number of good players that simply didn't try. After all, it was free and took next to no time at all.
Wasn't it a 1-900 number? Not entirely free! Or was that maybe just at first and it was soon switched to 1-800?
https://youtu.be/Au0dIISL9IE?t=1318
Am relatively certain it was changed to an 800 number at some point. There is a non-zero chance I'm wrong however.

This brings up a potentially interesting question though. How many here would pay $1.50 to take the Jeopardy online test? Especially since that would narrow the field.
Here is the 1-800 proof: https://youtu.be/0W6hMtOKXEE?t=300
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:20 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:42 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm What baffled me was the number of good players that simply didn't try. After all, it was free and took next to no time at all.
Wasn't it a 1-900 number? Not entirely free! Or was that maybe just at first and it was soon switched to 1-800?
https://youtu.be/Au0dIISL9IE?t=1318
Am relatively certain it was changed to an 800 number at some point. There is a non-zero chance I'm wrong however.

This brings up a potentially interesting question though. How many here would pay $1.50 to take the Jeopardy online test? Especially since that would narrow the field.
Here is the 1-800 proof: https://youtu.be/0W6hMtOKXEE?t=300
Thanks for the quick proof. I like confirmation I haven't lost my mind.

And congrats on your 10000th post!
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

OK, I just took the Wednesday test for practice (did it for real on Tuesday) -- I would have had 46 this time. I missed Aniston (said Jolie, kept wavering between the 2), Hasbro (said Milton Bradley but knew it was probably wrong), Sorkin (blanked on his name), and Candy Crush (which I have never, ever played!)

I'm glad I took it Tuesday with 49 (or 48 if I didn't fix the "eulogize" typo in time.)

My Sis-in-Law Jan (Jim's wife) took the Wednesday test but hasn't said how she did. Wishing luck to my sister Eileen (QLTMaven) tonight. Maybe at lease one of the McG girls will make it to the show and avenge the boys! Bow ties & beards notwithstanding.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Golf wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm
talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:32 pm I assume they invite like 200 people to the audition, and then only 100 or so get to go back and play, right? (Numbers may be wildly inaccurate, but that was my experience way back in 2000 with Millionaire auditions.)

Plus, they want interesting folks. They have about 2 minutes to fill when they come back from the first commercial break - they want people who interact well with Alex, who are relatable, and who the people at home will root for. Getting on J! isn't a strict meritocracy - maybe more so than, say, "Millionaire", where you're on stage alone and have to show some personality multiple times, but there's still some "soft' factors that go into contestant selection. I'm sure J! could fill up their ranks with doctors, lawyers, librarians, and teachers from NYC and LA, but they also want a large cross section of North America. And even if the goal were to be a strict meritocracy, I think a 15-minute, 50-question test has a pretty wide margin of error when it comes to determining who's a better overall trivia player.
Millionaire didn't have auditions in 2000, it was all phone qualifying. About as merit based as possible. That's why an asshole like me was able to make it on stage. No song and dance required.
No, I'm pretty sure in late 2000, or very early 2001 (definitely before June, but I think in winter), they had auditions in the St. Louis area, since I went there. They changed the phone qualifying from "4 or 5 fastest finger questions" to just "call in and we'll randomly pick people to come". I got picked then, and yet didn't get picked when it was skill-based.

The test was in a conference room in a hotel, and you had a fairly insane number of fastest finger style questions to fill out on a scantron sheet in 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure I bombed - I didn't get to the next phase, where they called back a certain number of people into an interview room.
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

47, same as Tuesday which I took for real. This one was harder though.

Bergen, Hasbro and Candy Crush.

Thanks Sherder!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Just got done with this one...ouch...

after a 45/50 on Tuesday's test, dropped to 31/50 on this one.

Really glad I'm already swimming as this would've been the only one I was available to take this year.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Why couldn't I have had this set last year when they were having tryouts in Denver? Woulda got my usual 40.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Golf wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm Millionaire didn't have auditions in 2000, it was all phone qualifying. About as merit based as possible. That's why an asshole like me was able to make it on stage. No song and dance required.

I ran the numbers on getting on stage during that time. 4 shows per week, therefore 4 chances to play the phone game. Estimated if you answered all three round 1 questions correctly you had a 1 in 60 chance of getting a callback to play round 2. For round 2 estimated you were 1 of 300 competing. If you answered all 5 questions correctly you had a better than 50/50 chance of getting the call to travel to NYC. So if you were a decent player and attempted all the phone games, you should have gotten at least one opportunity if not more to play round 2 each season. Then it's just a matter of taking care of business in round 2.
How did "round 2" work? Twice I passed round 1 and received messages on my answering machine from the show saying that since I wasn't home to receive the call my spot in the next round was going to someone else. (After the second of these messages I got a cell phone, but alas, never got another call.) I always wondered what the next round would have been.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:12 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:20 pm Millionaire didn't have auditions in 2000, it was all phone qualifying. About as merit based as possible. That's why an asshole like me was able to make it on stage. No song and dance required.

I ran the numbers on getting on stage during that time. 4 shows per week, therefore 4 chances to play the phone game. Estimated if you answered all three round 1 questions correctly you had a 1 in 60 chance of getting a callback to play round 2. For round 2 estimated you were 1 of 300 competing. If you answered all 5 questions correctly you had a better than 50/50 chance of getting the call to travel to NYC. So if you were a decent player and attempted all the phone games, you should have gotten at least one opportunity if not more to play round 2 each season. Then it's just a matter of taking care of business in round 2.
How did "round 2" work? Twice I passed round 1 and received messages on my answering machine from the show saying that since I wasn't home to receive the call my spot in the next round was going to someone else. (After the second of these messages I got a cell phone, but alas, never got another call.) I always wondered what the next round would have been.
passed round 1 many times, never got a call back.

for those that don't know, round 1 was call in and answer 3 fastest finger style questions correctly.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
earendel

Post by earendel »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:12 pmHow did "round 2" work? Twice I passed round 1 and received messages on my answering machine from the show saying that since I wasn't home to receive the call my spot in the next round was going to someone else. (After the second of these messages I got a cell phone, but alas, never got another call.) I always wondered what the next round would have been.
Round 2 was pretty much the same as Round 1, only there were 5 questions instead of three. I got onto the show despite missing one of the questions; I found out later that someone who did get all of them correct missed the callback, opening the door for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
brick

Post by brick »

Wow. I did ok! I’m confident of a 38, could be 39. I can’t remember how far I got in typing out the cruelly long answer to #26, or if I got in enough to be accepted as correct.

WAG on Chloe Wofford paid off. And if Sister Jean Marie is still alive I owe her a thank you for making me memorize the opening of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Spelled Peele as Peale. I feel like they will give me that one.

NYC area viewers had an edge on the Sorkin clue. They advertise To Kill a Mockingbird during J! every night here.