Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), January 30, 2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), January 30, 2020

Post by John Boy »

Tuesday (for fun off the board) 38
Thursday (for fun off the board) 40

Wednesday (for real) 38

If I have to be stuck in a rut, at least this is better than being stuck in a rut 10 points lower.

See Y'all at the auditions!
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:27 am Plume for plumage? Merriam-Webster's definition for plume directs to plumage, and there's no "seven letter" restriction, so I think it's reasonable to count.

Felt this one was between Tuesday's easier test and Wednesday's harder test. Good luck in getting happy emails, everyone!
I would bet against "plume", as the question asked for "all the feathers of a bird, collectively", which makes it appear as though they are looking for the plural, thinking "plume" as singular. Long shot, maybe, as a partial response, but my gut is that this one might not pass muster.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

45 from the video during an insomniac bout at 4am this morning. Considering I imagine I would have trouble sleeping before an actual taping day, I'll count this as good practice and encouraging.

Never heard of Ferrante, and couldn't remember Rian's last name.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

46/46/47 just for fun

The (Second) Call can come at any time, thanks! ;)
hscer

Post by hscer »

I usually wait to the last day and maybe I should have this time: 38 in my real go on Tuesday, 38 yesterday, and then 43-44 today (depending if "pirouet" is acceptable) which would have been a record.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:54 am
Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:39 am

Surprised they didn't include Brett Kavanagh in the DC college question to give it currency. Precalled Rushdie for Controversial Authors (like 'American Pie' for 70s song yesterday), and that's all I recall.
Kavanaugh didn't go to Georgetown U
Well, that would explain it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Just took it off the video (thanks, sherder!) and got 44, predictably missing the pop culture stuff: “Shallow”, Ferrante, Rian (said JJ Abrams but knew it was wrong), BuzzFeed (said Soorcle), Ronan Farrow and The Crown (said House of Cards). That makes it the toughest of the week for me (47/46/44).
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

Playing along, I got 25. Yeah...I have a lot of work to do. :)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

After my personal best 45 on Tuesday, tanked with a 31 on Wednesday...got my usual squeaked by passing score of 35 today.

All for fun as I'm swimming, and hopefully will soon be told to grab a towel and put on a suit!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:58 pm After my personal best 45 on Tuesday, tanked with a 31 on Wednesday...got my usual squeaked by passing score of 35 today.

All for fun as I'm swimming, and hopefully will soon be told to grab a towel and put on a suit!
Do they tell you if you pass the in-person test and are thus "in the pool"?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DysonSphere wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:45 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:58 pm After my personal best 45 on Tuesday, tanked with a 31 on Wednesday...got my usual squeaked by passing score of 35 today.

With the new format, I don't know that anyone has ever failed a test at the auditions.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

econgator wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:50 pm

With the new format, I don't know that anyone has ever failed a test at the auditions.
How would one know? I don't remember them showing anyone the door at the audition, but if I had to guess, I would guess that everyone at the audition proceeds through the entire process, even if they did poorly on the test, and their file is just quietly closed forever after they leave.
--
Drowning in the pool
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

No - they collect your papers and grade them in private and give you no feedback on it at all. While they're grading them, the candidates (in my experience) compare notes and discuss amongst themselves so you generally have a pretty good idea of how you did.

I consider "in the pool" to be the entire universe of people that have successfully completed an audition in the past 18 months. Although I have heard of people getting the call more then 18 months after audition, so I guess there's a non-zero chance that you might remain in the (deep end of the) pool in some cases - depending on whether they like you or not.
--
Drowning in the pool
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

One more JFF, this my worst of the three at 43. Yet again thanks, sherder23!
Misses: "Shallow" (typed "one from A Star Is Born"), Marlowe (Wren--an architect, I know, but same first name), Arby's (Wendy's), Ferrante (Morretti), amino acids (just drew a blank), Farrow (thought of him about 2 seconds too late), Finland (Ecuador). Gave myself Gregorian.
Not that it matters, but O'Keeffe has two f's, ffs.
In and out of the pool four times
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

xabe wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:00 am Somewhere in the 42-45 range for me, depending on the judges’ generosity (Shallows, just Gregory, and Social Insurance).

This one seemed pretty literature-heavy to me - 9/50 questions by my count (10 if you count Twilight)
I actually did an analysis a few years back, and all of the tests I looked at had about 10 literature questions, be it fiction, nonfiction, the Bible, playwrights, etc. Thankfully, that's one of my strong areas!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

43 on the test for real (Wednesday); 47 on Tuesday's with two guesses; only 39 on Thursday's - got a couple right but too slowly; and displayed my usual deficiencies in pop culture.
davey

Post by davey »

ParrotRob wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:33 pm

How would one know? I don't remember them showing anyone the door at the audition, but if I had to guess, I would guess that everyone at the audition proceeds through the entire process, even if they did poorly on the test, and their file is just quietly closed forever after they leave.
I don't think the file must be closed forever. An attendee might be ill or just had a bad day. But I agree they almost certainly continue to make a first cut based on score. Since this won't disqualify dozens of people, as used to be the case before the online test, the logistics are such that they can allow everybody in the room to keep hoping, and don't have to embarrass anybody.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

davey wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:57 pm

I don't think the file must be closed forever. An attendee might be ill or just had a bad day. But I agree they almost certainly continue to make a first cut based on score. Since this won't disqualify dozens of people, as used to be the case before the online test, the logistics are such that they can allow everybody in the room to keep hoping, and don't have to embarrass anybody.
Yeah, that would be a little bit awkward.... "OK, you, you, you, you and.... you - grab your gear and get out, you're done!"
--
Drowning in the pool
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

ParrotRob wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:40 pm
davey wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:57 pm

Yeah, that would be a little bit awkward.... "OK, you, you, you, you and.... you - grab your gear and get out, you're done!"
That's how they used to do it for Brain Bus events. They graded the 10 questions right there and told me I didn't pass.
I was in college and not yet serious about trivia at the time. I'm pretty sure I could pass the Brain Bus quiz now if it still existed (42/50 on this test for real).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DysonSphere wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:26 pm That's how they used to do it for Brain Bus events.
And during the the pre-online test days. You'd take the test, they'd grade it, come back in the rooms and call out about 10-15 names. Everyone else was thanked and told to go home.