Tuesday, February 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After statesman & banker Robert Morris turned down a job offer from George Washington, this man took the job

Vinny Byju: 5600+4201=9801
Kristyna Ng: 9200+2001=11201
Danyelle Long-Hyland: 9800+3612=13412 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Alexander Hamilton

Daily Doubles
Kristyna: 2200+2000
Vinny: 5800-3000
Kristyna: 8600+1000

Coryats
Vinny: 8600
Kristyna: 8800
Danyelle: 9800

Combined: 27,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Vinny: 2200
Kristyna: 5000
Danyelle: 4200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TIME ZONE CITIES was a run where I thought of it in sports terms for when games are played locally and was not thinking of it in a geographical lines kind of way.

Kristyna had numerous ways to win the game and it all went wrong. 1000 on DD3 was too low, the reversal on the Polish leader was $4000 lost and the FJ! wager covered Vinny possibly doubling while not accounting for Danyelle not betting for a cover.

Kristyna was a big remind-alike for Lucy Liu in Why Women Kill.

Vinny once again was in third for the FJ! round while first was possible if he solved DD2. The "M" hint and Italian inventor would be enough for many while it did not work for Vinny.

You'd think I would have learned a lesson from the John Brown FJ! clue last week? Keep it simple, silly. Nope, I wrote Hancock in thinking it was something about the Second CC. I saw "banker", knew it was probably a big hint screaming for the right guy and yet I persisted in being stubborn and not changing my response.

I'll take the punishment of being on the wrong side of an 85%+er on the weekly poll.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After archiving the game and listening multiple times, I'm not sure about how to present Krystina's incorrect response for the DAY JOB VU $2000 clue. In that same category the writers took the shortcut of "Rep. AOC" Instead of using her name spelled out.

There were 12 TS clues worth well over Danyelle's 9800 score for those that like to play for a 4th podium win.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I said John Jay. :oops:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:04 am
You'd think I would have learned a lesson from the John Brown FJ! clue last week?
Interestingly, Danyelle's listed hometown of Ranson, WV is just down the road from Harpers Ferry.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:53 pm After archiving the game and listening multiple times, I'm not sure about how to present Krystina's incorrect response for the DAY JOB VU $2000 clue.
I apologize in advance if I butcher this.

The actual pronunciation is "va we(nasal n) sa". In the second syllable, the l has a line through it which makes it sound like a w, and the e has a symbol under it which gives the nasal n ending. Transliterating as Walesa would lead to a naive pronunciation of "wa le sa" or a slightly more knowledgeable pronunciation of "va le sa", if the speaker knew how to sound out the letters but didn't know diacritical marks were missing.

Some people are aware of the nasal n at the end of the second syllable, but that's hard for English speakers, so it usually comes out "va len sa". I only listened twice, but what I heard Kristyna say was "wa len sa". If that, in fact, is what she said, I think she should be invited back.

Edited later: upon listening again, she definitely said "lawensa".
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Crayola Colors and "Inna", 0/5 in Iron Curtain.

Was able to match Marx to Communist Manifesto but Engels does not turn up in my mental database at all.

Precalled Detroit in the Time Zones category. Picked the wrong one on Las Vegas, which seemed kinda negbait-y.

Don't hate me, Opus, but I had no idea there was a Penguin in the Batman universe.

Clams come in more than one form? NHO any of those. Could've been anything. Almost WAGged "lobster".

I was floored when both gumbo and jambalaya were negged. "Wait, what else even IS there?!" Of course it's the only one I don't think of. Again.

DJ! was kind of rocky but I got more right than it felt like I got. Would've been two more had I not blanked on "alloy" and "warren".

Banker -> uhhh.... Hamilton? Not a hard path to follow.

Lach trash: "tintannabulation"
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $31,400 (37 R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

I felt like I struggled more than $31k would reflect. Lots of NHOs and stuff I would have never pulled... felt like a TOC game to me.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Well, that was a hot mess.You know, if Danyelle teamed up with that guy from "Law and Order," they could form a company called "Long-Hyland Ice-T."
Last edited by Hugo Z on Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:02 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:53 pm After archiving the game and listening multiple times, I'm not sure about how to present Krystina's incorrect response for the DAY JOB VU $2000 clue.
I apologize in advance if I butcher this.

The actual pronunciation is "va we(nasal n) sa". In the second syllable, the l has a line through it which makes it sound like a w, and the e has a symbol under it which gives the nasal n ending. Transliterating as Walesa would lead to a naive pronunciation of "wa le sa" or a slightly more knowledgeable pronunciation of "va le sa", if the speaker knew how to sound out the letters but didn't know diacritical marks were missing.

Some people are aware of the nasal n at the end of the second syllable, but that's hard for English speakers, so it usually comes out "va len sa". I only listened twice, but what I heard Kristyna say was "wa len sa". If that, in fact, is what she said, I think she should be invited back.
I found it hard to figure out how she pronounced it too, but It seemed unfair to neg her when they accept “Captain Sully” as an answer.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:53 pm I'm not sure about how to present Krystina's incorrect response for the DAY JOB VU $2000 clue.
I heard Lawensa and have updated the Archive accordingly, as this also matches the "flipped syllables" ruling out of the judges.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Just when I was thinking "oh cool, Kristyna didn't make the usual all-in suicide wager!", here comes Danyelle's nonsensical wager. Somewhere, someone watching at home will think to themselves "if only Kristyna had bet it all!" *sigh* Though I'd have a lot more sympathy for her if she hadn't bet 1000 on that Sibelius gimme DD.

FJ couldn't have been more instaget if "banker" was in blinking neon lights.

I'm still not sure what the problem with Kristyna's pronunciation of Lech Walesa was. EDIT:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 pm I heard Lawensa
Oh geez was it that bad? Not sure I could've missed that in real time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought she said Walensa. But I watched on the site that won’t be named on my phone and rewinding isn’t easy. I said Walesa, without an n sound. That is how it is spelled so I should get credit, shouldn’t I?

I don’t know how much easier they could have made FJ without having Lin-Manuel Miranda read the clue.

Another bleah game to watch.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:28 pm Don't hate me, Opus, but I had no idea there was a Penguin in the Batman universe.
It's just as well. He's a troubled individual. It's not like we're proud of him.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

CC says "Walesa" which makes it difficult for the hearing impaired to follow the explanation for the reversal. Here's a replay for those who want to hear it again:

https://youtu.be/8AZ-sX18K9Q

This is why I won't try any fancy pronunciations if I get on the show. I'll pronounce everything phonetically as though it's an English word. I may sound like an idiot. I may get a snotty correction from Alex. But I'll get the points.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 pm CC says "Walesa" which makes it difficult for the hearing impaired to follow the explanation for the reversal. Here's a replay for those who want to hear it again:

When I was watching, her response sounded correct to me and I was quite upset at the reversal. But re-listening to this recording, the first syllable does sound like a LA rather than a VA.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Just when I was thinking "oh cool, Kristyna didn't make the usual all-in suicide wager!", here comes Danyelle's nonsensical wager. Somewhere, someone watching at home will think to themselves "if only Kristyna had bet it all!" *sigh* Though I'd have a lot more sympathy for her if she hadn't bet 1000 on that Sibelius gimme DD.
Not to sound like I'm endorsing Danyelle's wager but in Kristyna's place, I would have maximized my potential winnings with a $3598 wager, which still would not have been enough. *sigh*

The worst thing about Danyelle's wager was that she still would have lost the game on a TS. If she had bet between 1402 and 2600, she wins on either a TS or a Triple Get.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

gnash wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:18 pm CC says "Walesa" which makes it difficult for the hearing impaired to follow the explanation for the reversal. Here's a replay for those who want to hear it again:

When I was watching, her response sounded correct to me and I was quite upset at the reversal. But re-listening to this recording, the first syllable does sound like a LA rather than a VA.
That's my take too. I think the ruling is fair, but I wish Alex had asked her to repeat herself. I'm sure she knew the correct response and just got a little tongue-tied spitting it out. It's a wildly frustrating way to lose.