Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 17, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FROM SCREEN TO STAGE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 2007 movie came to Broadway with an all-female creative team including book & direction and with songs by pop star Sara Bareilles

Terry Heard Jr.: 10800-420=10380
Tom Ellison: 4600-4337=263
MacKenzie Jones: 26400+0=26400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Waitress (Terry – the answer to this clue) (Tom – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Terry: 3200+3200
MacKenzie: 13800+13000
Not Found

Coryats
Terry: 8400
Tom: 4600
MacKenzie: 14200

Combined: 27,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Terry: 8400
Tom: 2200
MacKenzie: 7400
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MacKenzie did a tiger claw gesture on introduction while Terry's opening was an arms crossed drop when he almost went out of the picture before rising up. Alex of course tried to copy it when he came out.

The SURVIVOR category was finished last in the J! round and needing to complete that ate up time for DJ! when 6 clues worth $8800 including DD3 were not played. With MacKenzie having the sole solve on the FJ! clue it did not matter although Terry could of course claim he knew the FJ! clue [cough BS] and went for humor since it was a runaway.

420 is not on the banned wager list so Terry was able to make that his FJ! round wager. Does the 4337 by Tom have any meaning?

The FJ! clue was one where I knew what to write when seeing Sara Bareilles along with the other information. I'm not sure if I should credit TV spots for a local run that were advertised to death or perhaps it was a performance of a song on The View.

Or perhaps the previous clue usage helped?
Spoiler

#7739, aired 2018-04-12 BROADWAY MUSICALS $2000: "Waitress", which opened in 2016, features music & lyrics by this singer-songwriter
#7376, aired 2016-10-10 OBVIOUS BROADWAY $600: Sara Bareilles wrote the music for this 2016 show seen here; note the women's uniforms "...keep racing / Let's make mistakes / Let us say, "So what?" and make worse what was..."
No matter I'll take any kind of solve after my dreadful 40% week last week.

Huge move by MacKenzie on DD2 knowing that art and a 2nd box is probably going to be basic knowledge. Any J! player should know where to go when shown "grey & black".

It's one of those things that happens a few times a season with a DD not played. I would guess it was not in HAWAIIAN CROSSWORD CLUES so ACT OF CONGRESS AKAs would be my bet over THE NOT-SO-VICIOUS CIRCLE for the hiding spot. If it played and Terry got it right then MacKenzie could have had a bigger pay day in likely being forced to bet more.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

A movie that won no major awards and only grossed $22 million at the box office? Yeah, that wasn't gonna happen for me.

I guessed La Vie en Rose because that was a 2007 film and I thought Bareilles was a French-sounding name....
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Instaget FJ for me but it’s my most recent show seen on Broadway. It was even my pre-call. While the movie may have not been well known, the musical just closed after an almost four-year Broadway run putting it 57th on the list of longest running Broadway shows.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Really struggled in DJ! with 9R 2W.

"Wait, aren't hurricane and typhoon the only names for that? What else are those even called?" I honestly thought a cyclone was something else entirely.

"Inciter" and "backbiter" were both new to me.

Completely blanked on Smithsonian for an "all but the top box" in Beard Man.

I saw literally no way to figure out Ethiopia on Jackals for $600. Someone explain that clue?

Hawaiian for $400 was MASSIVE negbait for Oahu so of course I took the bait. And I've BEEN to Oahu. And then I was so completely stunned by it being wrong that I couldn't remember Maui.

I live about 30 miles from West Branch, Michigan, which also has a smiley face water tower.

No guess on FJ! Absolutely NHOI. Doesn't seem to be a movie worth retaining as it didn't gross very well or win any awards.

Lach trash: Borscht belt, Census act, smiley face
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Interesting interview with the new champ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10A_cWOde_Y
A lot of it was basic stuff about the show we already know, but she was clearly influenced by a great recent champion. Also a sighting of a different contestant (a JZL) about 4 minutes in. Are they related?
Hoping for a third lap
brick

Post by brick »

When Alex misspoke about how long Survivor has been on the air I was... puzzled. I was glad he clarified.

Waitress was hard not to know about as a J! viewer in the NYC area. My pre-guess was Hairspray.
Leander

Post by Leander »

brick wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:48 pm
Waitress was hard not to know about as a J! viewer in the NYC area. My pre-guess was Hairspray.
Yes, I think we viewers in the NY TV broadcast area have a decided advantage on at least recent Broadway questions, simply from the amount of advertising we see.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never heard of that movie/play. The carousel keeps spinning as the new champ got a Teen Tournament DD to get the win.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Wow, I guessed "The Waitress" as a Hail Mary, thinking there was no chance it was right, but I had nothing better. I was shocked (shocked I say) when it turned up right. :D
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:05 am
The SURVIVOR category was finished last in the J! round and needing to complete that ate up time for DJ! when 6 clues worth $8800 including DD3 were not played.
What's the record for the highest combined dollar value of uncovered clues in a non-celebrity game? This has to be close.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Fleeboy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 pm
The SURVIVOR category was finished last in the J! round and needing to complete that ate up time for DJ! when 6 clues worth $8800 including DD3 were not played.
What's the record for the highest combined dollar value of uncovered clues in a non-celebrity game? This has to be close.
This game had $11,200 unseen. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5195
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $30,600 (42R, 2W)
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: inciter, back-biter, Borscht belt, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure, Census Act, happy face

Bets like that makes me want a long run for Mackenzie. When she said “Thirteen...” I was 99.9% sure it was going to be $1300.

Annoyed to lose so many DJ clues, especially almost an entire category I felt strong in. That’s the first time in recent memory I’ve seen a DD left on the board.

FJ was one of those where I knew I knew it instantly but took a few seconds to pull it out of my head. Waitress had a run here in Ottawa recently and the ads were all over local TV.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 pm
Fleeboy wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:04 pm
This game had $11,200 unseen. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5195
Thanks! That was brutal. It might have taken Jesse Owens less time to win his four golds in Berlin than it did to complete the category about him at the end of the J! round.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There were probably some games from the first season that topped that, if you account for doubling. You could ring in at any time then, which led to more negs. The audience also clapped a lot back then. If you find a game from S1 it is brutal to watch compared to today.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

This week's off to a great start. NHoI on FJ. :roll: :roll: :roll:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Although I'm a musical fan, and Waitress was an instaget-cum-100%-confidence for me, I think it was a poor selection for a FJ! clue. It would have been more appropriate as a DD, IMO - there are no TOMs, and there are no divergent paths of knowing the correct response, like "It was a dark and stormy night" (original source, Peanuts, or bad writing contest). If you know the musical, you are probably vaguely aware of the movie - although the movie is MUCH less famous than the musical, IMO. I'd never even heard of the movie until the musical came out. I actually saw the musical when it had its pre-Broadway showing in Cambridge with (most of) the original Broadway cast, and saw it again when it came back on tour because it was part of a package. Both times, they had pie for sale at intermission - good tie-in, and tasty.

As a math geek, I did NOT like the hypocycloid clue - the clue with the circle rolling around inside another circle. It only traces out a diameter of the big circle if r/R = 2 - that is, if the smaller circle has exactly half the radius of the large circle, and Sara did NOT mention that (at least in the final edit we saw at home). I had "cycloid" as my precall when I saw the picture, which is actually the trace of a point on a circle that rolls on a straight line. But really, the clue was "name a Polish astronomer/mathematician", which is an overdone clue, IMO. Wiki has a nice hypocycloid page - you may be familiar with it as a Spirograph (although those are slightly different hypotrochoids, since they're not perfect circles).

I had no idea Roentgen was pronounced "rentgen". I had it as "row-ent-gen". I did, however, know that an X-ray is a roentgenogram, and was named after the person who discovered it.

I precalled Alex's correction for Survivor's 40th season in 20 years. And they do, what, 16 shows a season? Survivor will take a few hundred years to catch up to J! in hours of entertainment produced.

And apparently 420 is not a forbidden wager? Huh. Interesting.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:02 pm A movie that won no major awards and only grossed $22 million at the box office? Yeah, that wasn't gonna happen for me.

I guessed La Vie en Rose because that was a 2007 film and I thought Bareilles was a French-sounding name....
yeah, esp. if you NHOI as in my case :roll: