Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CellBlock
Valued Contributor

Re: Learned League 84

Post by CellBlock »

cmp146 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:53 am If you are reading this and I don't have you listed, it's because I don't have your LL name. PM me your details if you would like to be there. If you just give your rundle and division I will update you for this season.
Sent my details; I'm in A Laurel.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And just like last season I'm starting off with null defense... (this time not due to a forfeit though)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

The Chesebrough Manufacturing Company, which became Chesebrough-Ponds and was ultimately acquired by Unilever in 1987, was best known for a product discovered by its co-founder and company namesake in Titusville, Pennsylvania, and first sold in 1870. From the beginning, this product was (and is still today) sold under what brand name?

anyone else take the negbait of Pennzoil because of "Titusville"?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am anyone else take the negbait of Pennzoil because of "Titusville"?
Why is that negbait?
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am The Chesebrough Manufacturing Company, which became Chesebrough-Ponds and was ultimately acquired by Unilever in 1987, was best known for a product discovered by its co-founder and company namesake in Titusville, Pennsylvania, and first sold in 1870. From the beginning, this product was (and is still today) sold under what brand name?

I immediately thought Vaseline and then put some effort into talking myself out of it, but nothing seemed like a better answer, including Pennzoil. Titusville indicated that it was a petroleum-based product, but Chesebrough-Ponds meant consumer/cosmetic.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am The Chesebrough Manufacturing Company, which became Chesebrough-Ponds and was ultimately acquired by Unilever in 1987, was best known for a product discovered by its co-founder and company namesake in Titusville, Pennsylvania, and first sold in 1870. From the beginning, this product was (and is still today) sold under what brand name?

I said Pennzoil. I was pretty sure they were owned by one of the big oil companies, but hadn’t made the jump from petroleum to other petroleum products like petroleum jelly. Ah well.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:44 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 am anyone else take the negbait of Pennzoil because of "Titusville"?
Why is that negbait?
Titusville is a third class city in far east corner Crawford County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 5,418 at the 2017 census. Titusville is known as the birthplace of the American Oil Industry
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:24 pm

I said Pennzoil. I was pretty sure they were owned by one of the big oil companies, but hadn’t made the jump from petroleum to other petroleum products like petroleum jelly. Ah well.
I had Quaker State because Pennsylvania is the Quaker state.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Pennzoil was originally spelled "Pennsoil" as in "Penn's oil," but the S was changed to a Z because people read it as "Penn-soil," so "from the beginning" rules it out.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:24 pm

Pennzoil was originally spelled "Pennsoil" as in "Penn's oil," but the S was changed to a Z because people read it as "Penn-soil," so "from the beginning" rules it out.
interesting...never saw that before
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:22 pm
seaborgium wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:24 pm

interesting...never saw that before
I transmogrified the "co-founder and company namesake" and said "Jergens", thinking that the product name was the person's name. And it seemed like those familiar company names were associated with a consumer product of this sort.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Sable, mink, ermine: flip a 3-sided coin, get it wrong. If some questions are 50:50:90, then this one was 33:33:33:98.

(And I hummed "The Lady is a Tramp" all day.)
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Sigh... pulled defeat from the jaws of victory one again by poor defense. This time, it was assigning 3 to the literature question to someone whose Lit score is nearly their worst. And of course, they get it.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:16 am And just like last season I'm starting off with null defense... (this time not due to a forfeit though)
And just like last season, I'm now two games in with a null defense. One more and I tie my record! :(
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:24 pm I said Pennzoil. I was pretty sure they were owned by one of the big oil companies, but hadn’t made the jump from petroleum to other petroleum products like petroleum jelly. Ah well.
I'm old enough to remember singing(!) radio commercials for "Vaseline Petroleum Jelly", which led me to the answer
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:01 pm I had Quaker State because Pennsylvania is the Quaker state.
Somewhat off topic, but there's a Pennsylvania-based chain of restaurants called "Quaker Steak and Lube". They've expanded considerably, and I noticed that they now have two locations in South Carolina. I was introduced to their products at a concession stand at PNC Park while at a Pittsburgh Pirates game.

This plus the Cincinnati chili question from last night have made my stomach growl.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

It has been a bad start to the season for me, with 3 losses and 5 TCA. I have lost out on a few 50 50 90 guesses--picked banking over insurance and libertarian over reform party (Reform was my first instinct since I knew Perot had run for that party, but I thought that was 1992 and really thought that Ventura had run as a libertarian). I also talked myself out of shakers, Dancing with the Stars (I thought there had been a question like that on the show in a past season, but I may have put it down as an incorrect guess in the past), and Tao (I decided to combine Te Ching into one word).
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

The last 2 days have made my Ohio roots happy. Skyline is still a must-have whenever I visit my mom (had to make an unexpected trip last week, and had the 3-way mentioned in the Q), and I've been to dozens of Reds games in my life. Easy points for me!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Facepalm moment when I saw the correct answer for the restaurant chain question on MD4; could not, for the life of me, come up with Howard Johnson but my sister's first job was as a waitress at our local Howard Johnson restaurant when she was a teenager.

This is already a lost season for me and I appear headed back to E Rundle next season. Dead last in my rundle at the moment with no wins and a -14 point differential after just 4 days (DE of 0.353. Ouch!)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

for the rapper and unit of energy, the correct answers flew through my head, but I went elsewhere with both to the MCW

This is the type of thing that happened to me a lot my last time in C. I've improved since than, but still hoping this isn't a trend for me this season.