Wednesday, February 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:44 pm Why Johnny Can't Read is something you should just know if going on J! How is it a TS? :o
Which is why it has only one other hit in the Archive, right?
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:03 pm
True North wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:02 pm Stayed clam on Russia in the Disasters category despite being fairly confident it was right, which kept me from running it.
Same.

So what tipped everyone off to Brazil anyway?
I just know Brazil has won 5, which is the record. If you don’t know that but know a bit about soccer, Brazil would be the best guess over all of the European powers, though, because there’s traditionally been way less competition to come out of South America than Europe.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:44 pm Why Johnny Can't Read is something you should just know if going on J! How is it a TS? :o
I can't say that I'd ever heard of it. What does it have to do with Jeopardy?
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Easiest FJ in recent memory. I might be biased as a sports fan though. Nice to have an instaget in what has been my worst FJ month of the year. February has been kicking my butt :evil:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,800
49 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Henry VIII, Captain Henry Morgan, Johnny, The Feminine Mystique, fief

Interesting that Sam and MacKenzie, in similar DJ! DD scenarios, each opted to leave $3400 on the table. Sam's was more forgivable given that it was earlier and the leader's score was lower, so catching up after a miss was a more reasonable possibility. Since neither player going all in would have changed the game's outcome, I guess this is one time Alex's "no harm, no foul" is appropriate.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:29 pm History for $400 felt like negbait for "shooting star".
Nah. That's a bad response for the same reason "comet"--which, in fairness, was my response--is. Think about it. Why wouldn't one expect to see either of those things in the sky during a military battle, particularly in pre-industrial times?
mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:40 pm A brainfart on Sphinx kept me from a 40K, 3/3 DD game. Followed it up with another brainfart on chimera, no idea on the Harry Potter one, then got back on track.
It can be a bit hard to rein in the Sphinx-ster in such circumstances.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:03 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:29 pm History for $400 felt like negbait for "shooting star".
Nah. That's a bad response for the same reason "comet"--which, in fairness, was my response--is. Think about it. Why wouldn't one expect to see either of those things in the sky during a military battle, particularly in pre-industrial times?
I dunno, comets were considered harbingers of doom (see: Hastings) and they have been seen during the day (albeit rarely).
Not -that- bad a response. Better than Dreamgirls over Waitress, at least. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I am a big sports fan.
I am a big soccer fan.
I am half-Brazilian.

I can't imagine there has ever been a more wheelhouse FJ for me.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

What a great game, certainly the best of the past few weeks. Poor Adam was sandwiched between two buzzsaws. The champ acquitted herself well when faced with a serious challenger in Sam and showed her stuff in FJ. Easy FJ who is even a casual fan of soccer.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:29 am I am a big sports fan.
I am a big soccer fan.
I am half-Brazilian.

I am also a big sports fan.

EXCEPT for soccer. Hate the game.
No South American genes in me at all, either.

However, J! asked one of the few bits of trivia I know about team jogging, errrr, soccer.

Good enough...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:30 am However, J! asked one of the few bits of trivia I know about team jogging, errrr, soccer.
You mean team flopping and atrocious acting?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The more I think about it, the more obvious that FJ! was, and the more annoyed I am that I missed it. My brain was stuck on the wrong side of the the world, and I was thinking Europe. Then I thought of wars and the Olympic boycotts of the 80s, and randomly picked India as a country that might not have been mixed up in that Cold War stuff, and moved into Asia, picking India. Congrats, I picked a country that has NEVER played in the FIFA World Cup! I guess I read too much into Bend It Like Beckham.

Of course, Brazil should have been my choice if I'd thought about it. I know in the old Atari 2600 magazines, they had ads for Pele's soccer, and basically the only thing I know about Pele is that he played soccer and he's from Brazil. Shoulda been my guess.

I had no idea that the Greek sphinx was female, and that threw me off enough not to get the riddle of the sphinx. The Egyptian sphinx seems to be typically male, from cursory research.

I thought that "league" was the answer to the 6 foot clue - I can't fathom why. If only the league clue had been revealed first...
yclept

Post by yclept »

Sports is one of the few categories where I can honestly say I have a high success rate whenever it comes up in FJ. I missed the one from a few weeks ago about the boxing rules... so I am relieved that I am not on a 2-question losing streak.

I often wonder about contestants who are crushed in games like this one - would Adam be good enough to win a few games against the typical Jeopardy player? We will never know.

The challenger played well but not searching for that final DD after hitting on his big wager was an obvious mistake. MacKenzie was able to get control of the board and seemingly never gave it up. It would have been easy to be discouraged when she fell behind by so much but she kept at it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:30 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:29 am I am a big sports fan.
I am a big soccer fan.
I am half-Brazilian.

I am also a big sports fan.

EXCEPT for soccer. Hate the game.
No South American genes in me at all, either.

However, J! asked one of the few bits of trivia I know about team jogging, errrr, soccer.

Good enough...
Not a fan, either. But the game does give us stories like this.

https://www.sbnation.com/2020/2/19/2114 ... suspension
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:29 pm Poll request on "Why Johnny Can't Read". That seemed insanely obscure for the top box. It has only one other hit, and Rudolf Flesch only five, the last being in 1998.

What's Johnny doin' out on a Tuesday night
Johnny can't read, Johnny can't write
Johnny just don't understand

- "Degenerated" by Reagan Youth

Well, Johnny can dance and Johnny can love
Johnny can push and Johnny can shove
Johnny can hang out; Johnny can talk tough
Johnny can get down and Johnny can throw up
But Johnny can't read
Summer is over and he's gone to seed

- "Johnny Can't Read" by Don Henley

[guitar noodling]

- "Why Johnny Can't Read" by Frank Zappa
I would prefer not to.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

McKenzie made a surgical comeback and made a valiant effort to keep her poker face during her FJ reveal :). I rarely notice contestants mannerisms, but we had an electric strobing necktie a couple of days ago and both McKenzie and Sam were in a swaying competition (McKenzie won that too). Her 8K wager did enough for her and she still needed to win the remaining board even if she'd taken the extra 3K.

I tried not to Pavlov to Brazil, and was really concerned about the first part about being in every WC event. I think this is more impressive than winning 5 of them, but I know little or nothing about the format and process. I knew England has not won many (one?), but was worried about the beginning of the event and if it even included South America. MLB has a "World" Series with just two countries represented. It came down to Germany or Brazil and I didn't want to be wrong with the cute guess.

I just know "Johnny can't read" as a cliche, whether it is a book or song, or whatever.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 am but was worried about the beginning of the event and if it even included South America.
This also crossed my mind, but I still stuck with Brazil. I figured France was most likely if this were actually the case.
Woof

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:19 am
I tried not to Pavlov to Brazil, and was really concerned about the first part about being in every WC event. I think this is more impressive than winning 5 of them, but I know little or nothing about the format and process. I knew England has not won many (one?), but was worried about the beginning of the event and if it even included South America.
A helpful fact to file away: the first ever FIFA World Cup was in Uruguay, so South America was there from the beginning.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The Captain Morgan clue was a fun one. I did answer it but with a nagging "am I missing another brand?" in the back of my mind, since I'm not into hard liquor at all.

I had no idea Henry VIII was the one behind "hands". Since for some reason I have 1547 memorized as the year of his death, providing 1541 allowed me an alternative route there.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:43 pm The Captain Morgan clue was a fun one. I did answer it but with a nagging "am I missing another brand?" in the back of my mind, since I'm not into hard liquor at all.

I had no idea Henry VIII was the one behind "hands". Since for some reason I have 1547 memorized as the year of his death, providing 1541 allowed me an alternative route there.
Yeah, I heard the date and thought WECIB?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:35 am I thought that "league" was the answer to the 6 foot clue - I can't fathom why. If only the league clue had been revealed first...
The fathom clue piqued my curiosity since "fathom" seems a quintessentially English measurement, but the clue was asking about a measurement referenced in the Biblical book of Acts. I wondered if the clue should have attributed the translation to the King James Version. But every English translation I've looked at renders the Greek word ὀργυιά as fathom. And deservedly so. Both reference a nautical measurement defined as the length from fingertip to fingertip of a man's outstretched arms. Although the words bear no etymological relationship, the one is an exact translation of the other. I would guess the relationship is historical with sailors over the years handing down this method of measurement with different languages coming up with their own name for it. It's a natural and intuitive method for measuring the length of rope that you're pulling out of the water.

This meaning of fathom appears to be related to the verbal meaning that you punned on above, talkingaway. To "fathom" something in that sense is to be able to take it completely in your grasp--to get your arms and, metaphorically, your mind around it. It's similar to the literal meaning of "comprehend" and the figurative meaning that grew out of that. I never knew that.