Monday, February 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSIC STARS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On July 26, 1972 he testified before a Senate subcommittee on national penitentiaries

MacKenzie Jones: 15800+15800=31600 (6x = $162,403)
Jennifer Aziz: 6800+6700=13500
Steve Goodreau: 16400-15201=1199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Johnny Cash (Steve – Elvis Presley)

Daily Doubles
Steve: 1000+1000
Steve: 12200+3000
MacKenzie: 8000+7000

Coryats
MacKenzie: 10800
Jennifer: 6800
Steve: 15000

Combined: 32,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
MacKenzie: 2800
Jennifer: 2400
Steve: 7000
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jennifer got the "apologetic" board game clue correct and her correct response made it audibly clear she was from Canada.

Too bad none of the players knew the game that has the spy, marshal and flag. :evil:

I'm not sure what the worst for the fairy tale character who could spin straw into gold clue. MacKenzie & Jennifer missing with Maleficent then Rapunzel or Steve still not able to get it, making it go TS.

Credit to Alex and sympathy as well for the host having to start a long day with another of those colds affecting his voice.

The FJ! category had me try two precalls with Taylor Swift for newish and Elvis for back in the day. The clue had me match MacKenzie and Jennifer for being right while during think time I wondered if any players would guess Elvis or even Merle Haggard. It was not the kind of clue I knew, knew, though I felt like I was taking the best guess.

DD3 as clue 23 had MacKenzie do 8000+7000 though still trailing Steve with 16800. MacKenzie still trailed at the end of the round by 600 though could have had the lead if she had gone for it all on DD3. Today she caught a break while on other days that slim trailing place could have been the game on an easier FJ! clue for the leader.

With Steve being defeated that was the first time a Goodreau lost a debut according to the archive.
ACW

Post by ACW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am Too bad none of the players knew the game that has the spy, marshal and flag. :evil:
What is
Spoiler
Stratego
!

Also, Steve, buddy, come on. That was an insta-get :(
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Was this Sg any relation to our Sg?

"Music star"... "penitentiary" really ought to be Pavlovian for the Man in Black for any worthy J! contestant.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:14 pm Was this Sg any relation to our Sg?

"Music star"... "penitentiary" really ought to be Pavlovian for the Man in Black for any worthy J! contestant.
Here are a couple of Merle Haggard clues that I suspect could draw Cash (even though he never did time) responses (or plenty of other country outlaw singers) with contestants in the 2020s.

#4558, aired 2004-06-02 PARDON ME $800: This country singer who did time in San Quentin was pardoned by Governor Reagan in 1972

#4656, aired 2004-11-29 COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME $600: This inductee and one-time San Quentin inmate has his pardon from Governor Reagan displayed at the Hall
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $39,000 (48R, 0W)
DD: 1/3 (Andorra)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT ($5,000): Ralph Nader, Stratego, Rumpelstiltskin, Bat Masterson, Limburger

Stratego was the game I always wanted as a kid but never got.

Instaget FJ. My wife, so confident in her answer, negged just as Steve did.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am I wondered if any players would guess Elvis
If the clue had been simply: '"In July 26, 1972 he testified before a Senate subcommittee" I would have said Presley. But adding "on national penitentiaries" made it a Cash giveaway. ;)

I've already deleted the game from my DVR. Did the clue really start "In" rather than "On"? If so, that's pretty strange wording.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $37,800 (44 R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

DD3 was EYKIOYD. From my Archive search, this is the first time contestants have ever had to come up with Ponyboy. Props to MacKenzie for coming up with it!
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am Jennifer got the "apologetic" board game clue correct and her correct response made it audibly clear she was from Canada.

With Steve being defeated that was the first time a Goodreau lost a debut according to the archive.
I was expecting MacKenzie to be defeated because this was taped over a month after last week's episodes (last week was taped December 4, while this week was taped on January 6).
How do we know that Steve is related to Stefan (seaborgium)?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Wrote down Cash immediately but I also thought of Haggard and his stay at San Quentin.

Congrats to MacKenzie on win #6!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am I wondered if any players would guess Elvis
I've already deleted the game from my DVR. Did the clue really start "In" rather than "On"? If so, that's pretty strange wording.
Nope, the clue started "On July 26," so it's probably a closed captioning / automation error.

Instaget FJ!. I hereby renounce the term "Pavlovian", and will eliminate it from my J! vocabulary. Pavlovian conditioning pairs a unconditioned stimulus (classically, food) with a neutral stimulus (classically, a bell) to gradually create a conditioned response (salivation) when the neutral stimulus is presented without the unconditioned stimulus. The point is that a bell in nature has nothing to do with salivation, but you work to get the conditioned response (salivation without food, but with the bell alone) by repeated pairings.

"70s musician" and "prison" is just a factoid that gets you to "Cash", and the pairing to me seems quite natural. But hey, that's just my soapbox from having taken 3 semesters of psych in college - I'll probably use it again, anyway.

I made nearly the same mistake that our champ made on the "pupa" clue. But I was quick enough to realize several things were amiss: the plural of pupil is pupils, and pupils can't really be protected, as they are literally nothing. I mean, I guess if I dug a hole and put a fence around it, I could say that the fence is to protect the hole....but that's because there's not really a name for the walls of the hole, AFAIK. I'd argue that the cornea protects the iris, which forms and controls the shape and size of the pupil. Plus, cornea only has one "o" - the two "o"s formed by the pupils don't count.

Either way, I eventually got to "pupa as in former larva", which lead me to cocoon.

Tom Hanks in a 1993 movie named after a city where he has difficulty sleeping? That's playing with fire, cluemasters. I haven't seen "Philadelphia" since it was out in theaters, but certainly with what Hanks' character went though in that movie, he'd have some difficulty sleeping, no? I ultimately clamed on the clue, because it didn't feel right. Besides, "Sleepless in Seattle" really isn't ABOUT insomnia - well, except for that one night when Hanks' character calls in to the radio show. I know the "insomnia" in the clue was a punny way to get to the title, but if you interpret it literally, you could go elsewhere.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

Foretopman wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:21 pm
If the clue had been simply: '"In July 26, 1972 he testified before a Senate subcommittee" I would have said Presley. But adding "on national penitentiaries" made it a Cash giveaway. ;)

"On" - Fixed and fixed. Thanks. :oops: I checked all the hard words to make sure I had it right and overlooked the easy one at the start. When archiving it I copied from my JBoard post. :oops: :oops:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:17 am Jennifer got the "apologetic" board game clue correct and her correct response made it audibly clear she was from Canada.

I was expecting MacKenzie to be defeated because this was taped over a month after last week's episodes (last week was taped December 4, while this week was taped on January 6).
No one has posted that Steve and Stefan are related. My remark was only about that last name in general and not Stefan's specific family.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

theFJguy wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:56 pm "On" - Fixed and fixed. Thanks. :oops: I checked all the hard words to make sure I had it right and overlooked the easy one at the start. When archiving it I copied from my JBoard post. :oops: :oops:
Same?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:58 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 pm

No one has posted that Steve and Stefan are related. My remark was only about that last name in general and not Stefan's specific family.
Thanks. I don’t think they’re related because I think Alex would’ve mentioned during the interview portion. When Stephanie Jass’ husband was on, Alex mentioned Stephanie during his interview.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:The clue had me match MacKenzie and Jennifer for being right while during think time I wondered if any players would guess Elvis or even Merle Haggard. It was not the kind of clue I knew, knew, though I felt like I was taking the best guess.
I think either Jerry Lee Lewis or Chuck Berry would've been a better guess than Elvis.
Cash instaget for me.
talkingaway wrote: Tom Hanks in a 1993 movie named after a city where he has difficulty sleeping? That's playing with fire, cluemasters. I haven't seen "Philadelphia" since it was out in theaters, but certainly with what Hanks' character went though in that movie, he'd have some difficulty sleeping, no? I ultimately clamed on the clue, because it didn't feel right. Besides, "Sleepless in Seattle" really isn't ABOUT insomnia - well, except for that one night when Hanks' character calls in to the radio show. I know the "insomnia" in the clue was a punny way to get to the title, but if you interpret it literally, you could go elsewhere.
I knee jerked Philadelphia on that one, even though I've never seen the movie. Nasty neg bait.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Strategically, MacKenzie did everything she could to lose. She won. It happens. Jeopardy is not chess.