Wednesday, February 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENCE WORDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1611 Kepler used this word from the Latin for “attendant” to describe the discoveries of Galileo

MacKenzie Jones: 20600+0=20600 (8x = $204,808)
Signe Peterson Fourmy: 3000-2500=500
Greg Kihm: 6200-100=6100

Correct response:
Spoiler
satellite (MacKenzie – satalite) (Signe – planetary) (Greg – astronomy)

Daily Doubles
MacKenzie: 3200+3200
MacKenzie: 12000+5000
Signe: 5000-2000

Coryats
MacKenzie: 15000
Signe: 5000
Greg: 6200

Combined: 26,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
MacKenzie: 8800
Signe: 3400
Greg: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Aw, no one knew Mike Mulligan's type of machinery. It's not like the clue wanted Mary Anne.

MacKenzie went for $5000 on DD2 even with the NAMES OF THE 1920S going:
neg/rebound +400
+800
-1200 neg TS
1600 TS

prior to it being found. Good move as the DD was a quick solve for MacKenzie.

By DD3 it was the champ at 20600, Greg at 6200 and Signe playing it with just 5000 and only 2 $2000 clues remaining. The wager? $2000. Miss anyway, so whatever.

The FJ! category had me expecting a miss and the clue assured it. I had nothing better than Galileo to Jupiter moons to Jovian to have something on the paper. The correct response was not going to happen for me. Nice by MacKenzie to get it. Alex was able to tease her about spelling again (she's 4/8 for misspells in the round) as she's laughing all the way to the bank.

8-day totals of others in ToC field:
Spoiler
Jennifer Quail $228,800
Jason Zuffranieri $192,100
MacKenzie Jones $204,808
Karen Farrell $159,603
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Once again we get a lazily phrased FJ that taken at its literal word should be a stumper but that as a Pavlov or WECIB will probably see a pretty high solve rate.

Galileo throughout his career made many discoveries in the realms of physics and engineering as well as pure astronomy. He was a polymath of the kind that became harder and harder to find as the sciences became more and more advanced and specialized.
Spoiler
As such, Galileo's discovery of four moons orbiting Jupiter was an important part -- probably the most important, but nevertheless an incomplete part -- of his lifetime of discoveries. "Satellites" simply does not describe most of Galileo's discoveries.
Back in the Art Fleming days, or even in the early Trebek years, a clue like today's surely would have asked about "these" discoveries of Galileo, rather than "the" discoveries of Galileo.

Now get off my lawn, kiddies, and let's enjoy together the Trebek era, imperfections and all, for what we may hope will be several more years, before a new host takes our venerable show in the direction of "Win Ben Stein's Money" or "Double Dare."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

HIT & "RUN" had me 1/5 only getting the Springsteen song and I suspect I will find company for that pattern.

I wonder how MacKenzie would have spelled the correct response for DD1 wanting the narrow strip of land connecting two larger land areas?

She might want to put the buzzer down if she gets a DREADED SPELLING type category in the ToC or later in her regular run. Alex is having fun with the written responses and MacKenzie seems to take it in good spirit. For viewers it's entertaining to see the playful humorous moments between host and contestants.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

So you jump through all the hoops you have to in order to get on this show, accrue a nice sum in your previous appearances and you've got a runaway so you can't lose, and you bet zero dollars in FJ? Zero?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:52 pm So you jump through all the hoops you have to in order to get on this show, accrue a nice sum in your previous appearances and you've got a runaway so you can't lose, and you bet zero dollars in FJ? Zero?
At that point it's real money. If she was not confident in her science knowledge base, why should she wager money on it?
Golf

Post by Golf »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:52 pm So you jump through all the hoops you have to in order to get on this show, accrue a nice sum in your previous appearances and you've got a runaway so you can't lose, and you bet zero dollars in FJ? Zero?
I’ll ask you the same thing I asked you not once but twice that you failed to answer back in the 12/31/19 game thread. What’s the most money you have personally wagered on a single outcome?

This is real money. She’s not the best at game theory but she’s not the worst either. If she’s not confident the proper wager is 0. And she’s not going to wager something just to please some random on the Internet.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 pm
I’ll ask you the same thing I asked you not once but twice that you failed to answer back in the 12/31/19 game thread. What’s the most money you have personally wagered on a single outcome?

This is real money. She’s not the best at game theory but she’s not the worst either. If she’s not confident the proper wager is 0. And she’s not going to wager something just to please some random on the Internet.
Moreover, she'd dodged the spelling bullet three times up to this point. If you don't feel confident about your science spelling and think you're going to get dinged eventually, why would you bet actual money?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:31 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 pm

Moreover, she'd dodged the spelling bullet three times up to this point. If you don't feel confident about your science spelling and think you're going to get dinged eventually, why would you bet actual money?
I can also imagine some long-range thinking on Mackenzie's part.

i.e., she's got the victory all tied up, so she decides to "not bother with the wagering math" in the interest of saving mental energy for the NEXT GAME that is coming just around the corner. A strategy that worked well for Buzzy...
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Xu Donym wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:31 pm Back in the Art Fleming days, or even in the early Trebek years, a clue like today's surely would have asked about "these" discoveries of Galileo, rather than "the" discoveries of Galileo.
Substituting "these" for "the" would leave it unclear what the clue was asking for. Something like "some" would suffice, though.
I'm smart and I want respect.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $29,800 (43R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Really struggled on the bottom row of both boards, did fine otherwise. Stupidly guessed "Air India" for Airlines $2000, costly mistake.

FJ took me a few seconds... I had to get "observations" out of my head to get there.

MacKenzie keeps rolling...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Snapchat = ghost is something I know that I've forgotten before. Also clammed on swipe left/right since I knew I'd pick the wrong one (spoilers: I did), and stupidly said TikTok for Twitch.

I usually do well in word categories, but "Words in Plain Sight" messed me up good. Can't say I've heard of a "slat" before.

Islands of Africa was an 0/5 for me but it shouldn't have been. Clammed on Madagascar because I forgot the category, missed "river" at $400, and clammed on Cape Verde because it seemed too easy.

0/5 continued in Whistle Blowers, Literary Lee, and Arches.

I was 3/5 in Run. NHO "Run This Town", and added a "with" to the Chris Brown title.

All but Howard Carter in 1920s (said Lord Carnavaron instead... sometimes I hate the Hawley-Smoot Rule).

No guess on FJ! This was the utter opposite of a WECIB. I brainstormed space-y words for 10 minutes and somehow never hit on "satellite".

Lach trash: Clara Bow, bungalow
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Lefty wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:13 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:31 pm Back in the Art Fleming days, or even in the early Trebek years, a clue like today's surely would have asked about "these" discoveries of Galileo, rather than "the" discoveries of Galileo.
Substituting "these" for "the" would leave it unclear what the clue was asking for. Something like "some" would suffice, though.
I like "certain discoveries". I got FJ! on a pure guess. I don't recall ever having been aware of the etymology of the word.
Golf

Post by Golf »

As a Mizzou grad who was in the stands for the infamous 5th down game vs. the cheating Colorado jackwagons, I now need to replace the TV after I threw the remote at it. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Why would MacKenzie keep going back to the Lee category after every clue save the top box was a TS? That's just silly. About as silly as wanting the Spoon River Anthology author while being spotted the Lee for $2k. And they still didn't know it!

Then, after not knowing the 3rd and 4th clue in the 1920's, MacKenzie wagers $5k on the bottom clue and gets handed a total softball. So funny.

The famous leader of Ethiopia a TS? Just wow.

Can't do anything but chuckle at Signe's DD3 wager. Not terribly surprising. Hello Herm Edwards.

This was one of those games where I'm sure many Jeopardy hopefuls would give their right arm to be able to participate in.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:20 pm
At that point it's real money. If she was not confident in her science knowledge base, why should she wager money on it?
I confess that I can't know what her confidence level is in specific categories. But in four runaways, she's bet zero three times, and slightly over 10% of what she could've safely bet in the other game. Seems more like natural conservatism, but who knows?
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $33,000 (44R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT ($6,400): linesman, T, Lake Victoria, Wellington, Winter Palace, bungalow, Haile Selassie, Morocco (DD)

FJ was a last second get, trying to come up with astronomy-related words that might fit with the Latin and made an educated guess.

Did exactly as well on Literary Lee as the contestants.

Tough luck for Greg on the Hermitage neg. It’s an easy mistake, you see that picture and you immediately think Hermitage if you’re familiar with St. Petersburg at all, but there are four other buildings besides the Winter Palace. I was mildly surprised he didn’t at least get a BMS.

$2000 on DD3...sigh.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:56 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:20 pm
I confess that I can't know what her confidence level is in specific categories. But in four runaways, she's bet zero three times, and slightly over 10% of what she could've safely bet in the other game. Seems more like natural conservatism, but who knows?
MacKenzie commented at The Jeopardy Fan: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2020/02/fina ... -2020.html

Scroll down comments to 12:50 as they are in time order.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Mark, I was right with you on getting Born to Run and nothing else. I also got the steam shovel as that was one of my favorite books as a kid. Maybe it didn’t survive into the next generation but Greg looks close to our age. Poll request?

FJ was an instaguess here. I was a little surprised the word didn’t exist until then.

I had no problem with the champ’s wager. She was literally betting her money and if she doesn’t want to risk it, that’s her business. Science isn’t my strong suit, but I probably would make a small wager in that situation just for fun, but that’s me. As long as she didn’t do anything to reduce her chances of winning the game, her bet doesn’t matter.

That last DD bet, on the other hand...

Too bad Opus has gone on his annual Lenten sabbatical as there was plenty of LT available for a fourth podium poll.