Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 84

Post by morbeedo »

Of the 3 rappers, I only knew Bhad Bhabie so it was a coin flip and luckily went the right way
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I was very lucky that Thorsten accepted "news reels" instead of film. I knew that Pathe was a major newsreel producer but after I sent in my answers I kicked myself for not reading the question accurately (it was looking for something more broad and general).

Shockingly (and helped by one forfeit) I started my first season ever in B league with three wins and one loss and fourth place--putting me in position for a relegation to the rarified air of A league. I thought that I would be "B-leaguered" in B because I often struggled to reach .500 in C. I tied yesterday (thanks to Thorsten's newsreel generosity) and am now out of the A league bulls-eye (phew!)
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:31 am for the rapper and unit of energy, the correct answers flew through my head, but I went elsewhere with both to the MCW

This is the type of thing that happened to me a lot my last time in C. I've improved since than, but still hoping this isn't a trend for me this season.
did it again with Tuba...at least it didn't cost me, but I am now in the relegation zone.

the excitement of playing above my pay grade
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Oh man, tuba. I was waiting to comment on this one. I could even picture it in my head. Couldn't name it.
Turns out those fanfare style horns used to cinematically announce royalty, especially in (obviously) Roman times?

The Roman tuba.

(I went with vuvuzela)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Taking Latin in high school allowed me to get tuba. I still remember seeing it on the list of first declension nouns and thinking that it was odd that "tuba" was the Latin word for trumpet.

I was surprised that massif was the toughest question of the day. There was no obvious choice of question to assign the 0 to on yesterday's set, but I settled on giving my opponent, a career .538 Geography player, a 0 on that one. But it didn't matter, since they 9(6)ed me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:58 am I was surprised that massif was the toughest question of the day.
Same. I would have expected most people to at least have heard of Vinson Massif. Only a single player missed it on my player tracker page, though. Likewise I wouldn't have expected distillation to be the easiest.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I would have had it anyway, but it was rather serendipitous that a Daily Double in one of the games I put into J! Archive on Monday was about Collodi/Pinocchio.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:39 am Oh man, tuba. I was waiting to comment on this one. I could even picture it in my head. Couldn't name it.
Turns out those fanfare style horns used to cinematically announce royalty, especially in (obviously) Roman times?

The Roman tuba.

(I went with vuvuzela)
oh wow! didn't know that
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Like many, I suspect, I knew just enough to get into trouble. Know that L cornus meant horn led me to say cornet. That miss, combined with bad defense, led to a painful 4(4)-5(3) loss.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:08 pm
StevenH wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:58 am I was surprised that massif was the toughest question of the day.
Same. I would have expected most people to at least have heard of Vinson Massif. Only a single player missed it on my player tracker page, though. Likewise I wouldn't have expected distillation to be the easiest.
My opponent was bad at science so I gave three points for it. That’s how I lost 5(3)-4(3).

I probably figure it out anyway but it helped that Pinocchio has been in the Geicco ads a lot lately.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:06 pmI probably figure it out anyway but it helped that Pinocchio has been in the Geicco ads a lot lately.
"The author of Pinocchio" was a name that I wouldn't have been able to recall on my own, but I recognized it when I saw it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

So, why do 57% of the people know about Robert Johnson and his tomato?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 am So, why do 57% of the people know about Robert Johnson and his tomato?
I read that story when I was a kid. It was probably in a Childcraft book.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I guess I am the only person who never heard that Lyme Disease’s name came from the town of Lyme. I assigned three points for it. I also gave two for Kwanzaa.

The high get rate for Lyme helped in a way as that was my zero question and managed a 6(4)-5(2) victory. My other miss was vaudeville. I didn’t fully read it and said improv.

I didn’t know the tomato guy’s name but did know the story of someone eating one in public to prove it was safe.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I must be setting a LL record for ineptitude this season. A personal record-setting 7th straight loss (dating back to last season) and a 2(3)-8(4) loss on MD6.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

SBurrus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:36 am I must be setting a LL record for ineptitude this season. A personal record-setting 7th straight loss (dating back to last season) and a 2(3)-8(4) loss on MD6.
I am currently am having a winless season and looking forward to a nice time in B Magnolia next season.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Snatched a tie from the jaws of victory yesterday, continuing my bad moments while in a C rundle.

My first thought was Vaudeville, but with the word bawdy in there, took more time to think about it and burlesque sure seems more French, and I went with that.

For Kwanzaa, with three items there I immediately thought of the peace sign, even though I know it's an N and a D for Nuclear Disarmament, but once that was stuck in my head, even though it didn't make any sense with the rest of the question, stayed with it. Can't say I would've come up with the correct answer anyway, but not happy with myself on that one.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Regarding Robert Johnson, all I could think of was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Johnson but I thought that the myth about his death happened in Mississippi. Different Robert Johnson.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 am So, why do 57% of the people know about Robert Johnson and his tomato?
I didn't, but I knew the tomato was considered (either legitimately or not) poisonous for longer than should have been logical.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

I missed the TV question yesterday (I was never much of an Adult Swim fan, and the other two clues were whiffs, so I thought the cartoon might have been Space Ghost Coast to Coast and some sort of Aussie show referencing the Gold Coast sounded logical). Considering television is my best category, I thought I might be safe, but no, my opponent slapped the 3 on that one, and I lost 6(5)-7(5). At least in the private rundle, boson had the good sense to defend that one quote-unquote correctly and I was able to get the win there.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.