Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 84

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:42 am
econgator wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 am So, why do 57% of the people know about Robert Johnson and his tomato?
I didn't, but I knew the tomato was considered (either legitimately or not) poisonous for longer than should have been logical.
This. Also, I was fairly certain that the tomato was Jerseys state vegetable.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:49 am I missed the TV question yesterday (I was never much of an Adult Swim fan, and the other two clues were whiffs, so I thought the cartoon might have been Space Ghost Coast to Coast and some sort of Aussie show referencing the Gold Coast sounded logical). Considering television is my best category, I thought I might be safe, but no, my opponent slapped the 3 on that one, and I lost 6(5)-7(5). At least in the private rundle, boson had the good sense to defend that one quote-unquote correctly and I was able to get the win there.
I had the same thought process up to "coast" being a reasonably likely word in an Aussie soap title (especially with a bay mentioned as its setting), but I was sure that a '90s sitcom with "coast" in the title would have immediately sprung to mind if that were correct, and nothing did. Figuring that the sitcom was my only in, I focused on what the Detroit setting could mean. I thought of motors and came up with "Thunder Alley" (starring Ed Asner and featuring a pre–Sixth Sense Haley Joel Osment), but kept looking since that was a little too obscure. Then I pictured the hot rod in Tim "the tool man" Taylor's garage and knew "Home Improvement" was surely it, and the short word was the clear choice. I had to look up the other two shows: I'm familiar with "Home Movies," but I guess I was assuming an earlier start to Adult Swim; and "Neighbours" was the only Australian soap I could have named.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Getting crushed right now, 0-4-2 after getting relegated back to D rundle. I'll have to hope for some lucky matchups here on out.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:52 am
econgator wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:49 am So, why do 57% of the people know about Robert Johnson and his tomato?
I didn't, but I knew the tomato was considered (either legitimately or not) poisonous for longer than should have been logical.
This. Also, I was fairly certain that the tomato was Jerseys state vegetable.
Very Jersey of them to name a fruit as the state vegetable.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Congrats to ClassicRoadster for the 6-pack yesterday to continue the beatdown in our JBoard dummy room rundle.

It seems like each day I glance at the questions and think four of them will be a blank submission and gradually fill in guesses. This is the genius of Thorsten's clue writing. By the time I finished, I thought I had a shot at my first six pack yesterday. Yeah, not. First I screwed the pooch on the TV show choosing between "tool" and "time", which of course was the fictional TV program on Home Improvement :roll: . Then the Japanese looking words (I guessed Tai Chi which could be fake ancient) turned out to be Swahili (or something) and burlesque turned into vaudeville.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This. I think the tomato is in the nightshade family, many of which ARE poisonous.

Not that it matters much over the longer term, other than I consider myself quite good on defense, but I've gotten dinged with 8(4)s in 2 out of the last 3 matches. Some players just have no respect; preserving their wins while toying with me by.... um, um..... purposely missing what I figured were gimme 0 and 1 questions based on their histories.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:19 am I was very lucky that Thorsten accepted "news reels" instead of film. I knew that Pathe was a major newsreel producer but after I sent in my answers I kicked myself for not reading the question accurately (it was looking for something more broad and general).
"News reels" was surely enough to identify Pathé within its industry, that you knew of what you spoke. If you just said "news" that would have been incorrect.

The company in its various iterations and related businesses is still very much around. I watch a lot of foreign films, both current and vintage, so I see the name quite frequently.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RandyG wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:53 pm
georgespelvin wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:19 am I was very lucky that Thorsten accepted "news reels" instead of film. I knew that Pathe was a major newsreel producer but after I sent in my answers I kicked myself for not reading the question accurately (it was looking for something more broad and general).
"News reels" was surely enough to identify Pathé within its industry, that you knew of what you spoke. If you just said "news" that would have been incorrect.

The company in its various iterations and related businesses is still very much around. I watch a lot of foreign films, both current and vintage, so I see the name quite frequently.
For the record, "photography" was rejected. I struggled with picking the right term because it asked for "equipment in what industry". I was thinking about the movie industry the whole time, knowing I've seen the name on screen. But it wanted specifically a producer of "equipment" which to me rules out the film stock, especially the finished news reel, and just leaves the cameras. I think it was a not well pinned but meaningful clue. Did he want to know if I have noticed the name someplace, yes, I associate it with Kodak and have seen it on old black and white moving pictures.

clue spoilered (is it OK to paste these?)
Spoiler
FILM - Charles Pathé, with his Pathé Freres company, is remembered today mostly as an early 20th-century leader in the world production and distribution of equipment in what industry?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:45 pm
RandyG wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:53 pm

For the record, "photography" was rejected. I struggled with picking the right term because it asked for "equipment in what industry". I was thinking about the movie industry the whole time, knowing I've seen the name on screen. But it wanted specifically a producer of "equipment" which to me rules out the film stock, especially the finished news reel, and just leaves the cameras. I think it was a not well pinned but meaningful clue. Did he want to know if I have noticed the name someplace, yes, I associate it with Kodak and have seen it on old black and white moving pictures.

clue spoilered (is it OK to paste these?)
Spoiler
FILM - Charles Pathé, with his Pathé Freres company, is remembered today mostly as an early 20th-century leader in the world production and distribution of equipment in what industry?
I had the same dilemma. I knew the name from recent movies, but I was puzzled by the "industry", because my first inclination was "cinematography ". That felt like a misfit, so I ended up answering "film photography", and that was accepted.

My true bummer, though, was "cornet" not being an acceptable answer (yesterday). I did not know that "tuba" was considered literally the Latin definition for "trumpet". So the etymology of "corn-" made me very confident I had gotten it. Most disappointing, as I lost on defense 6 (4)-4 (4). At least 32% of LL agreed with me on that one. Lol
Pending...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The Ash Wednesday readings yesterday included a passage from the book of Joel that began, "Blow the trumpet in Zion"; my earliest choir experiences in college involved singing that phrase in Latin: "Canite tuba in Sion." I didn't need Tuesday's questions to come on Wednesday to get that, but I had an inward chuckle on hearing the English phrase.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:05 pmI had the same dilemma. I knew the name from recent movies, but I was puzzled by the "industry", because my first inclination was "cinematography ". That felt like a misfit, so I ended up answering "film photography", and that was accepted.
It helps being in Los Angeles, where "The Industry" is basically synonymous with "film production" (in fact, "film production" is exactly what I put in the LL blank).
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Pathe was one of those I knew I should know but it had to percolate for a long time before it came to me. Went with movie making.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lucky win for me yesterday 3(3)-1(2). I certainly didn't expect a win when I only got three right. This week has been very, very good to me (as Chico Escuela would say). Four straight wins on only 17 correct answers.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 am Pathe was one of those I knew I should know but it had to percolate for a long time before it came to me. Went with movie making.
My answer was "motion pictures", and Thorsten accepted it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

In college, I took a French cinema class with a prof whose coarse, American-accented French was just brutal to hear, so we died whenever he said Pathé Frères. Yeah, I got that one but for the life of me, couldn't recall chenille and went with velours.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:28 pm In college, I took a French cinema class with a prof whose coarse, American-accented French was just brutal to hear, so we died whenever he said Pathé Frères. Yeah, I got that one but for the life of me, couldn't recall chenille and went with velours.
I did the same thing, and it cost me 3 points and the match. The good news is that I'll probably never forget that "chenille" is French for "caterpillar".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:35 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:28 pm In college, I took a French cinema class with a prof whose coarse, American-accented French was just brutal to hear, so we died whenever he said Pathé Frères. Yeah, I got that one but for the life of me, couldn't recall chenille and went with velours.
I did the same thing, and it cost me 3 points and the match. The good news is that I'll probably never forget that "chenille" is French for "caterpillar".
Yeah, I had no idea for that one. Knowing that papillon == butterfly did nothing to help and I wasn't exactly overrun with names for rugs to begin with.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I've heard of chenille, but never associated it with rugs. Seems like you'd really need to know the French word for caterpillar to get that one right.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:06 pm I've heard of chenille, but never associated it with rugs. Seems like you'd really need to know the French word for caterpillar to get that one right.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Interesting: "The caterpillar that makes holes."