Thursday, February 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

I work with Allison (although in different departments). Definite rooting interest tonight!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY AMERICA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first Census, in 1790, listed 24 urban places; this port was the most populous one in the South

MacKenzie Jones: 11400+9601=21001
Allison Cuyjet: 21000-3801=17199
Aaron Goetsch: 12400+12400=24800 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Charleston (Allison – New Orleans)

Daily Doubles
Aaron: 3000+3000
Allison: 10000-4000
Allison: 8000+3000

Coryats
MacKenzie: 11400
Allison: 23200
Aaron: 10200

Combined: 44,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
MacKenzie: 3000
Allison: 7200
Aaron: 7600
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:52 am I work with Allison (although in different departments). Definite rooting interest tonight!
You jinxed her by claiming the 3rd post early? ;) She played well and had good buzzer timing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When the clue with Nigel Bruce came up my reaction was, "Yeah, right!" as I would have taken side bet action on the other guy being a TS.

Allison lost 4000 on DD2 and a solve there for the right country would have sent her on her way to a lock. At DD3 Allison added 3000 while in hindsight it was 8000+6800 (against 9000 & 8800) that she needed for the runaway. Very very few players would do that at that point of a game. Allison had good buzzer timing as she went from 11000 to 21000 after DD3 for the final 13 clues of the round.

The FJ! category had me try three precalls with Patrick Henry, Nathan Hale and Boston Tea Party. The clue had me match MacKenzie and Aaron for the solve as I was not going to bite/switch to Savannah or NOLA.

More than anything I was probably most helped by recalling missing this FJ! clue:

#7761, aired 2018-05-14 CITIES IN LITERATURE: In "Gone With the Wind", Rhett Butler says this city named for a monarch "is the South, only intensified"

Great run by MacKenzie and Alex clearly enjoyed her presence on the show. As someone who flies various flags out front and has a small ceramic dog with some holiday costumes to display in the front window, I thought MacKenzie's story about dressing her Diana statue was quite wonderful. Alex played it more like MacKenzie was a little kooky for it.

Aaron did enough to eke out 2nd going into the FJ! round and tonight that was enough. It will be interesting to see what he does if he can uncover a DJ! round Daily Double tomorrow. As a poker player he went all in for the J! round one he played today.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

It's been a while since I overthought my way out of FJ, so I was due.

The right city came to me immediately, but then I thought... Virginia was the most populous state back then, Norfolk is a port and it's close to where the biggest European influx came in... so Norfolk. D'oh!

The classic lesson: in the absence of TOM to the contrary, go with the obvious.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Louisiana didn't make it into the union until the 1800's, so it was easy to dismiss New Orleans. There weren't very many reasonable alternatives to the correct answer.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,800
52 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: deserters, swill

MacKenzie certainly made it interesting right up to the end. I didn't fall for the New Orleans trap given the date, but I never really considered Charleston and instead went with Savannah. For those who are interested, the list of urban places from the 1790 census can be found here.

Surprised I don't recall ever having heard of the Somoza dictatorship. A search of the Archive shows it coming up three other times in the past decade, but two of those instances were less than a month apart.

Sherlock Holmes actor = Basil Rathbone is another one I couldn't pull from the mental Rolodex. Looks like the last time contestants were asked to name him was 2008.

When I play from the TV, I use a copy of Airbnb Magazine as the backing for my Coryat scoresheet.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Good precall game for me today: I precalled both MAD and "swill".

Surprised myself by running "D" in American History. Also ran Walls and Bridges and Before Swine. Also ran Band Emojis in DJ!

Makes up for me going 0/5 in Cast Your Pearls, having blanked on both Johnny Depp and Eddie Vedder. Also blanked on Airbnb for 4/5 in Magazines.

In the Cast Your Pearls category, "Girl with a Pearl Earring" and Josh Hartnett were both utterly unfamiliar to me.

Hopped all over the map but just couldn't get a bead on this one. I tried Savannah but it didn't seem right. Skipped right over the Carolinas since I was positive that all the big cities were inland. Was zooming in on the VA Beach area and completely drawing a blank on the name of Norfolk when the music ended.

Lach Trash: deserters, swill
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

TPH may be on to something with his "Hawley- Smoot", since I somehow came up with Basil Rathbone. 8-)
Got FJ after swatting away Savannah and cities in Virginia. :mrgreen:
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $36,800 (48R, 2W)
DD: 2/3 (missed Nicaragua)
FJ: :(
LT ($3,400): deserters, swill, British U.S. ambassador

Valiant end to a great run. MacKenzie looked like she was just getting beaten to the buzzer consistently. She did well to make a game of it.

FJ streak ends at 10. Drew a complete blank. I could not picture it at all, not being nearly familiar enough with American South urban centres circa 1790.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $42,800 (49R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

No idea on Nicaragua, talked myself out of Charleston.

Congrats to MacKenzie on a great run!
Last edited by mas3cf on Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I switched from Savannah to Charleston in time...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

goongas wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:36 pm I switched from Savannah to Charleston in time...
I thought Savannah was going to be the alternative city Alex mentioned. As New Orleans was French in 1790, that wasn’t possible. I managed to get it right after strongly considering Savannah.

I thought Allison was a charming person and hated that she only got $1,000 for her efforts. But thems the breaks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:01 pm MacKenzie certainly made it interesting right up to the end. I didn't fall for the New Orleans trap given the date, but I never really considered Charleston and instead went with Savannah. For those who are interested, the list of urban places from the 1790 census can be found here.
I first came up with Savannah, then about 10 seconds in started to not feel right and I considered Charleston.
But I decided to stick with my first choice for a change. :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

I thought Allison was a charming person and hated that she only got $1,000 for her efforts. But thems the breaks.
3 very good players. Tough lineup.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had New Orleans down until I realized it wouldn't have been in the U.S. then. Quickly thought of Charleston after dismissing NO. Also considered Savannah and Mobile*, but was pretty confident in Charleston once I thought about it.

* Turns out it wasn't part of the U.S., either, until 1813 when West Florida was annexed from Spain.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was more than the Thursday jinx. Two good challengers tonight.

For FJ, I couldn't decide between Charlston, Charlstun, or Charlsten. I think they all would have worked :lol:. I'll miss you, MacKenzie but it is someone else's turn. I think Alex was being charitable letting viewers think New Orleans was an alternate choice. I'm sure Allison just whiffed on the significance of the year. I actually sidetracked through Atlanta but knew it would flunk one of these three conditions: 1) Was Georgia a state yet, 2) is Atlanta on the ocean (when you live 1500 miles from the ocean, everyplace near the edge is on the ocean) 3) would it be the largest urban area in the south. So Charlestonn it is :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

This was a great game of perseverance for me.

I started absolutely horrendously through the first 15 clues before the break with only 6 correct, including a few disappointing negs in "D" IN AMERICAN HISTORY. I said "dreadnaught" instead of destroyer and "draft dodgers" instead of "deserters" :roll: The interview portion couldn't have come soon enough.

The 2nd half of the J! was the start of a comeback for the ages, going 15/15, and running a category I would think was one of my weaker spots MAGAZINES COME & GO.

DJ! came and I kept the fire going, running BAND EMOJIS, WOMEN OF THE WORLD, and A LITTLE ALLITERATION, as well as conversions on both DD's in which I am confident I would have bet big.

Similar to others here, I also had Savannah and Charleston as the only 2 possibilities in my head, and I chose the correct one. :mrgreen: