Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by zakharov »

Death to ABC New York for showing a very special report of a yacht explosion instead of my J fix.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Details PLEASE from someone who was in studio about what in the world happened in FJ.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

vellore wrote:Details PLEASE from someone who was in studio about what in the world happened in FJ.
I'm not sure what I should say, especially as I won't see how it airs for 3 hours. What did it look like on air?
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

CAPS LOCK wrote:
vellore wrote:Details PLEASE from someone who was in studio about what in the world happened in FJ.
I'm not sure what I should say, especially as I won't see how it airs for 3 hours. What did it look like on air?
They showed it like normal, then an edited-in clip of Alex saying that they messed up but it didn't affect the outcome of the game. The response from Aaron that they showed was "Pentecost."

Not really looking forward to another day of Aaron's clenched-teeth delivery.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

zakharov wrote:Death to ABC New York for showing a very special report of a yacht explosion instead of my J fix.
Seriously. A very special report about an incident with no fatalities, (and no yacht found, so far) and no new details since they extensively reported on it at 5/6. Almost two whole categories up in smoke, so of course one of them was a sports category. Assholes. What was the other category? If it was TV, then it's time to break out the torch and pitchfork.

Anyway, instaget FJ with a complete WAG. Maybe I need to brush up on biblical stuff, but that didn't ring a bell at all, so it struck me as quite vague. I'm not even sure what Alex was talking about in that post-game edit.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Well
Spoiler
Last Supper is accepted and Pentecost ruled incorrect. Alex then appears in a spliced-in bit explaining something about "We were thinking one thing but wrote another" (I didn't catch the precise wording as I was running to the bookshelf for my Bible). He credits Nicholas Cage with an extra $12,000. Then the splice ends and we're back to regular send-off.
Wierd.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

As soon as Retired Numbers came up, I instantly marked the whole category as horizontal lines (meaning "no response" on my score card). Spain was also an 0-fer.

Adams threw me because I was expecting the right answers to all be Adamses. And I don't really think of crush and squeeze as synonymous. You can crush something without squeezing it and vice versa.

I went back and forth a few times between Last Supper and Pentecost and said Last Supper.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I would have swept the retired numbers category if not for THAT DAMN YACHT EXPLOSION
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:Anyway, instaget FJ with a complete WAG. Maybe I need to brush up on biblical stuff, but that didn't ring a bell at all, so it struck me as quite vague. I'm not even sure what Alex was talking about in that post-game edit.
I've been in the room where it was supposed to have happened, so for once I didn't need a WAG. The sports cat was a nice, easy run. And yeah, I had no idea what Alex was on about, either.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How the heck would "Last Supper" be correct, though? The Last Supper was in the Gospels, wasn't it? And I clearly see the word "Pentecost" right here in the start of Acts.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

What the what? I guess they were referring to The Cenacle, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenacle but reference to Acts confused me, since that book happens after Jesus is crucified (its the ACTS of the Apostles), the the Last Supper happened before.

It would seem that would be easy for someone to catch before they made it a FJ.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I thought the champ had some nice gets, garotte in particular. Wouldn't expect anyone to get Sutton Hoo, though there maybe were a couple of surprise TSs. Wish we had gotten to see the rest of the Sister Goldenhair category. Guy on the end was all hip and dressed cool and I sure that audition was a blast but he turned into a tire fire late, probably reeling from missing that $2000 followed by not getting his hometown.

FJ was a quick get, had to talk myself out of something convoluted like "Jesus appearing to Thomas" but I recalled specifically that few paintings of the Last Supper make it clear that it is on the second floor (Fra Angelico's is an exception).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:How the heck would "Last Supper" be correct, though? The Last Supper was in the Gospels, wasn't it? And I clearly see the word "Pentecost" right here in the start of Acts.
But the Upper Room where the last supper occurred was first mentioned in Acts 1. But yeah, like Megan said, "Prufreed for teh win."
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

In case anyone cares it turns out the yacht explosion was a hoax

http://gothamist.com/2012/06/11/reports ... new_je.php

I'll stop posting about it now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:How the heck would "Last Supper" be correct, though? The Last Supper was in the Gospels, wasn't it? And I clearly see the word "Pentecost" right here in the start of Acts.
But the Upper Room where the last supper occurred was first mentioned in Acts 1. But yeah, like Megan said, "Prufreed for teh win."
Acts 1:13 in my NIV only says "When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying." I don't have a KJV handy, but Google says the KJV says "they went up into an upper room".

That doesn't sound like "the same Upper Room where the Last Supper was" to me. I don't see any references to the Last Supper at all in the first two chapters of Acts.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
Acts 1:13 in my NIV only says "When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying." I don't have a KJV handy, but Google says the KJV says "they went up into an upper room".

That doesn't sound like "the same Upper Room where the Last Supper was" to me. I don't see any references to the Last Supper at all in the first two chapters of Acts.
Traditionally, the Upper Room was the place where the Last Supper occurred, though it may not be THAT upper room. The Pentecost, too, though I actually have a tad more problem with that answer, since the Pentecost had not happened yet. But of course it is said to be the same room so you have to call that right, too.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

econgator wrote:
Nope, try Luke 22:12, and Mark 14:15.

The last Supper happens in the Gospels (3 of 'em, anyway). Does it make a lot of sense to mention, days or weeks later, in a post-Crucifixion, post-Judas timeline, the upper room where it occurred? In fact the term used in the Gospels is not the same term used repeatedly in Acts : http://www.askelm.com/news/n051012.htm (though the writer in that link concludes that they are indeed the same place).

Might not the "upper room" in Acts 1 be where Pentecost occurs in Acts 2? (Trust me, you can read it either way - scholars are split on that question.)

As you might imagine, I did a good deal of research on this topic.
Last edited by CAPS LOCK on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

how the heck did nobody on the writing team catch this before taping? If you are going to cite a specific Bible verse, you might want to crack open a Bible and read it. As for an "event" in Acts 1:13, there isn't one. The election of Judas' successor takes place a few verses later - I'd call that an event. But Pentecost seems to be what they were going for, and 1:13 sets the stage for that.

It would have been more interesting if Aaron didn't have a runaway.