Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

Boy, do we know the feeling ...

Jeopardry Not Taped.jpg
Jeopardry Not Taped.jpg (78.05 KiB) Viewed 13819 times
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So...this is what happens to a 20 oz soda bottle that's been left alone for 3.5 years.

Spoiling to collapse thread size; I didn't want the pic any smaller in size tho, this way you can still read the sell by date on the cap. :lol:
Spoiler
CrystalPepsi.jpg
CrystalPepsi.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 13778 times
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I collect commemorative Coke bottles. They are all glass, but I did buy a plastic one a few years ago that had my name on it. (You won’t believe how hard it is to find a Coke bottle that has Bamaman on it).

I recently had to throw it away because it had become deteriorated to the point it appeared likely to burst open.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

In college, plastic soda bottles were just beginning to be introduced. I walked into my dorm room one day, several friends were sitting around, and one of them was drinking from a bottle. He asked me if I wanted any, and I said "Sure!" He threw the bottle to me, deliberately short. I panicked and dove frantically to catch it assuming he had thrown it carelessly, then watched in amazement as it bounced harmlessly off the floor. Everyone laughed at my panic and the trick that had been played on me.

Still holding the bottle, another friend walked in a few minutes later. I asked him if he wanted any soda. He said, "Sure", and I threw the bottle toward him, deliberately short. He, like me, dove frantically to catch it. Then it must have hit the EXACT wrong spot on the bottle when it hit the floor, because the bottle shattered upon contact, exploded, and sent soda flying all over my floor. The intended recipient looked at me like, "Why the heck didn't you throw it properly?!?" while the rest of the group who had watched the whole thing transpire erupted in laughter at my misfortune and how badly it had backfired on me.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:57 am Then it must have hit the EXACT wrong spot on the bottle when it hit the floor, because the bottle shattered upon contact, exploded, and sent soda flying all over my floor. The intended recipient looked at me like, "Why the heck didn't you throw it properly?!?" while the rest of the group who had watched the whole thing transpire erupted in laughter at my misfortune and how badly it had backfired on me.
OK, boomer, while we are on the topic :). In college I worked evening shift at the local Pepsi bottling plant and our job was to stand ankle deep in broken glass and sort the returning bottles into crates by type (Mountain Dew, Pepsi, Fanta, etc..) to go back to washing and filling. Any damage on the rim meant a ceremonial slam dunk of the bottle against the floor. This was a very high skilled job done by the best and brightest talent. Also the worst and dimmest. They always tried to catch the foreman on the john so they could shake up a can of pop, pull the pin and throw it in the door to spin and spray like a Catherine wheel firework. It was supposed to be the civilian version of fragging. It was funny once, but they never quit playing it.

On a factual note, you don't want to drink any aspartame containing drinks past the expiration date. They get pretty skanky tasting, but not everybody notices it since you have low expectations anyway. So far I don't think sucralose or Splenda have this issue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:57 am In college, plastic soda bottles were just beginning to be introduced. I walked into my dorm room one day, several friends were sitting around, and one of them was drinking from a bottle. He asked me if I wanted any, and I said "Sure!" He threw the bottle to me, deliberately short. I panicked and dove frantically to catch it assuming he had thrown it carelessly, then watched in amazement as it bounced harmlessly off the floor. Everyone laughed at my panic and the trick that had been played on me.

Still holding the bottle, another friend walked in a few minutes later. I asked him if he wanted any soda. He said, "Sure", and I threw the bottle toward him, deliberately short. He, like me, dove frantically to catch it. Then it must have hit the EXACT wrong spot on the bottle when it hit the floor, because the bottle shattered upon contact, exploded, and sent soda flying all over my floor. The intended recipient looked at me like, "Why the heck didn't you throw it properly?!?" while the rest of the group who had watched the whole thing transpire erupted in laughter at my misfortune and how badly it had backfired on me.
The bottle that doesn't act like a bottle...except for when it does?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:59 pm

The bottle that doesn't act like a bottle...except for when it does?
IIRC, it was a harder plastic than is used today. Hit it wrong, and it cracked.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

From elsewhere...
jeff6286 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:36 pm
econgator wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:06 am Don't bother making extraneous comments on the current events; they'll just get deleted. If you need to comment, copy it over to Re-retaken down and do it there.
I guess this will just get deleted but I have to say that’s a poor decision/mandate. A great way for many to learn trivia facts is with context and discussion, not just a boring list of facts.
The decision was made to prevent the facts from being buried in pages of discussion that inevitably goes off topic. Which is all fine and well in a vacuum, but does no good to someone coming in a page or more late or revisiting the thread as a study guide.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Earlier this month, in an interview with Telemundo, Democratic presidential hopefuls Amy Klobuchar and Tom Steyer both failed to name the current president of Mexico. Last week, at a pre-Nevada caucus debate, Klobuchar revisited the incident, in a back and forth with Pete Buttigieg (who was able to correctly name Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador), saying "This isn't like a game of Jeopardy. This is about experience."

(When I first heard of this incident, I was so proud of myself for having the name on one of my flashcards and getting it right. Except, I mixed the names up, and said Enrique Pena Nieto, who was the previous guy. Whoops.)

The Mexican president is often referred to by his acronym AMLO (I don't know if Jeopardy would accept that), and in the press as President Lopez Obrador.

Senator Klobuchar is correct in that this isn't like Jeopardy. Lopez Obrador appears twice in the Archive, but in both cases, his name is in the clue, and the players needed only to name the country. I expect all participants on stage would be able to do that.

ETA: Ha! I meant to put this in the Current Events thread. Maybe it's better here.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

hansenkd wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:50 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:47 pm As a Mizzou grad who was in the stands for the infamous 5th down game vs. the cheating Colorado jackwagons, I now need to replace the TV after I threw the remote at it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Go Buffs!
Two graduate degrees from Boulder, but I was still in high school when the 5th down happened.
(transplanted from Wed. game thread)
As a native Missourian, (albeit not a college football fan), this event is about the most notoriety the Mizzou football program has ever managed. I think there was a mid 70's team in the Orange Bowl when it was important, and that's been it in my lifetime. The Border Battle with Kansas was the longest running rivalry west of the Mississippi (since 1891), but ended in 2011. This is not much of a football state except for HOW ABOUT THOSE CHIEFS!!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mujason

Post by mujason »

Too bad Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy was the Colorado running back for the fifth down game. That would be like if Missouri finally got an NBA team again and it hired Tyus freaking Edney as an assistant coach.
-Jason
Golf

Post by Golf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:33 pm
hansenkd wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:50 pm
Golf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:47 pm As a Mizzou grad who was in the stands for the infamous 5th down game vs. the cheating Colorado jackwagons, I now need to replace the TV after I threw the remote at it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Go Buffs!
Two graduate degrees from Boulder, but I was still in high school when the 5th down happened.
(transplanted from Wed. game thread)
As a native Missourian, (albeit not a college football fan), this event is about the most notoriety the Mizzou football program has ever managed. I think there was a mid 70's team in the Orange Bowl when it was important, and that's been it in my lifetime. The Border Battle with Kansas was the longest running rivalry west of the Mississippi (since 1891), but ended in 2011. This is not much of a football state except for HOW ABOUT THOSE CHIEFS!!
Let's not forget the 2007 MU football team that was ranked #1 in the country going into the Big 12 title game against OU. They lost, and then the Orange Bowl selected KU over Mizzou even though Mizzou had a better record, was ranked higher, and had beaten KU in the last regular season game. Typical MU football, even when they are good, they get screwed. Hell, the QB didn't even score on 5th down and the refs just gave him the TD. Not that I'm bitter......

And of course there was the kicked ball game against Nebraska. It's tough being a Mizzou grad from a college sports point of view. Although I was a college student-athlete myself.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf

Post by Golf »

mujason wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:55 pm Too bad Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy was the Colorado running back for the fifth down game. That would be like if Missouri finally got an NBA team again and it hired Tyus freaking Edney as an assistant coach.
In the stadium, every time he carried the ball, through the stadium speakers it sounded like "The Enemy".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

A flag collector wrote to every country to ask for a flag and documented their responses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbix9y8 ... e=youtu.be
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:22 am A flag collector wrote to every country to ask for a flag and documented their responses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbix9y8 ... e=youtu.be
Holy Crap! I wonder if I could do something like that and ask them to send me the Miss (name of country) winner!.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:22 am A flag collector wrote to every country to ask for a flag and documented their responses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbix9y8 ... e=youtu.be
I'm surprised this video wasn't from a certain guy in Winnipeg.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

In case anyone cares (I'm not sure if y'all do, but Myron said this sort of stuff belongs in Reretaken Down):

A user was banned from another site because that user had made posts on the other site which were essentially defenses of white supremacist symbols.

There will be no further comments from me on this matter.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Given my avatar, this amused me.

Elevator.jpg
Elevator.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 13033 times
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... rs-1283458

No live audiences for the next few tapings due to coronavirus concerns.