New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by talkingaway »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 am Jonathan Groff, game 1 (March 14, 1995) is now in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6560
n.b.: Not the Jonathan Groff who played King George in Hamilton - although I did have to double check just to be sure, given his bio line.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:20 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 am Jonathan Groff, game 1 (March 14, 1995) is now in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6560
n.b.: Not the Jonathan Groff who played King George in Hamilton - although I did have to double check just to be sure, given his bio line.
I wonder if it's the Jonathan Groff who's an executive producer of Black-ish. He's a former head writer for Conan O'Brien. Judging by the picture on his Wikipedia page, I think it is.

Yes, I see his showbiz career was mentioned back in 2013-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1458&p=75885&hilit=groff#p75878
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Judy Weightman, Game 2, is now in (January 14, 1994): http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6563

The clue about
Spoiler
Leif Erikson
has led me to wonder how the show has rendered his name (and that of his father) over the years. There are a few spellings in the Archive.

CROSSWORD CLUES must have still been new (evidenced by Alex's long-winded explanation), but the $600 clue is an all-time great out of the writers, in my opinion.

The betting police may want to avoid this one.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks to a tip from a Facebook message I added 7/16/87: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6566

Good thing I made my own recording of the YT upload as the video has since been yanked.

If Michael's 3rd game ever appears then let me or any other archivist know.

Pics of Michael Klaper challengers Amy Goldrich & Eileen Dreyer (I've already posted his pic):
Spoiler
Ronnie & Iago (member of former J! board who would post humorous clue comments in the persona of bird from Aladdin) would have had a field day coming up with wisecracks for the SICKNESS & HEALTH category.

In the FJ! round it sometimes helps to keep the category in mind. Tsk, tsk.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

pannoni4 has posted the July 13, 1990 (1990 Seniors Tournament Quarterfinal #5), September 3, 1996 (Bernie Cullen game 2, starts at clue #7 of DJ!), and July 6, 1987 (Eric Berman game 3, starts at DJ!) episodes at archive.org:

http://archive.org/details/@pannoni4
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:29 pm CROSSWORD CLUES must have still been new (evidenced by Alex's long-winded explanation), but the $600 clue is an all-time great out of the writers, in my opinion.
I had nothing on that one.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:04 pm September 3, 1996 (Bernie Cullen game 2, starts at clue #7 of DJ!)
Dang, almost perfect, since only the J! round of that game is currently archived.

Scores at the end of J! round:
Bernie: $3,100 Deb: $400 Ted: $2,100
entering clue 7:
Bernie: $3,700 Deb: $1,400 Ted: $2,300
Bernie's score is shown going from $3,100 to $3,700 as he calls GEMS for $800. U.S. PRESIDENTS and GEMS have already had their $200, $400, and $600 clues played. $1,800 from $2,400 worth of clues is accounted for in the players' scores. I humbly suggest that the clue selection went U.S. PRESIDENTS $200 and $400, with gets by a player who remained with the category, and then the $600 clue was a TS*, after which the switch to GEMS took place, with the $200 and $400 clues getting correct responses, followed by Bernie getting the $600. I'll let the archivist decide which $200 to give to Ted.

*If we're leaving it to one clue not going smoothly, there's also the possibility that either $600 was negged by one player and rebounded by another.

edit: This game came up recently in discussion here, after contestant Josh Gruenberg talked on 2/12 of a rumored former contestant named Mr. Curtis at his high school.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'll call dibs on what there is for the rest of Cullen #2 and get it done tonight.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:59 pm
Jeff-thecdboy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:04 pm September 3, 1996 (Bernie Cullen game 2, starts at clue #7 of DJ!)
Dang, almost perfect, since only the J! round of that game is currently archived.

Scores at the end of J! round:
Bernie: $3,100 Deb: $400 Ted: $2,100
entering clue 7:
Bernie: $3,700 Deb: $1,400 Ted: $2,300
Bernie's score is shown going from $3,100 to $3,700 as he calls GEMS for $800. U.S. PRESIDENTS and GEMS have already had their $200, $400, and $600 clues played. $1,800 from $2,400 worth of clues is accounted for in the players' scores. I humbly suggest that the clue selection went U.S. PRESIDENTS $200 and $400, with gets by a player who remained with the category, and then the $600 clue was a TS*, after which the switch to GEMS took place, with the $200 and $400 clues getting correct responses, followed by Bernie getting the $600. I'll let the archivist decide which $200 to give to Ted.
Real nice work on that.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:29 pm I'll call dibs on what there is for the rest of Cullen #2 and get it done tonight.
It is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3552

So close to having Bernie's complete run in the archive.

Thanks Sg for the crib sheet on the opening of the DJ! round. Perhaps someday we'll find out how close you were.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That was a pretty good recording of the president in the DD. Kind of neat hearing his voice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:40 pm That was a pretty good recording of the president in the DD. Kind of neat hearing his voice.
What recording?
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:28 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:29 pm CROSSWORD CLUES must have still been new (evidenced by Alex's long-winded explanation), but the $600 clue is an all-time great out of the writers, in my opinion.
Seems like Alex's comment should be on the clue instead of the response.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:15 am Played in the Audio DD in the show at http://archive.org/details/@pannoni4
Thanks for that. I should have been more clear in my comment.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jeffwolfe wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:20 am
Mark/Myron/Robert correct me if I'm wrong, but the clue is for what gets displayed on screen.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:59 am
jeffwolfe wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:20 am
Mark/Myron/Robert correct me if I'm wrong, but the clue is for what gets displayed on screen.
Not necessarily, (witness Clue Crew/celeb clues), but I'd leave that one as-is.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thanks to a tip from the horribly-named book "The Complete, Cross-Referenced Guide to the Baby Buster Generation's Collective Unconscious", we discover from the Dayton Daily News that Steven Lauterbach was a contestant on Jeopardy on Tuesday, January 17, 1995. This is notable, because Lauterbach was also one of the Americans held hostage in Iran from 1979 to 1981. I cleaned up the OCR of the article, as best as I could figure:

THURSDAY, JANUARY 19, 1995

Former Iran hostage has some questions on 'Jeopardy'

I'll take Former Hostages for $200, please. This Dayton native was catapulted into front-page headlines after being held hostage in the U.S. Embassy in Iran in 1980, and he showed up as a contestant on Jeopardy Tuesday evening; ' Who is Steven Lauterbach? ' Correct! There he was, smiling, outgoing and answering questions for host Alex Trebek in front of the studio audience. The show was carried on WKEF-TV, Channel 22, at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.

For those of us who met Lauterbach and told his story of international intrigue about 14 years ago, seeing him caused a double-take at the screen. Was this the same guy we knew back then? He'd always been polite. He knew people were interested in his story. But there was little doubt he was always a reluctant public figure. ' He's 43 now, and still works for the government's foreign service program, stationed around Washington, D.C. In a few weeks he will move to a new assignment with the U.S. Embassy in Botswana, Africa.

Lauterbach spoke to Trebek on Tuesday of being held captive by the Iranians, along with 52 other Americans for 444 days. That was followed by a resounding hero's homecoming in January 1981. Unlike many of the other hostages, Lauterbach has refused to write a public memoir. He has tried to fit quietly back into life's mainstream, working with his wife, Marie Paule, to raise their son, Mark, 11, and daughter, Claire, 8. So pardon our surprise to see him in the national TV spotlight on his own initiative, no less.

And he seemed to have such a good time. His brother, Victor Lauterbach, and sister-in-law, Mary Lauterbach, who live in Dayton, had been tipped by Steven and were able to watch the pre-taped show. "It's just something Steve always wanted to do," Mary said. "It was a dream he had, and he did it. He said he really enjoyed it. It was fun for him." Fun, but not so lucrative. Lauterbach won the preliminary round, but alas, his personal expertise in international situations didn't pay off in the final round.

The last question: "During World War I this singer raised several million dollars for the Italian Red Cross." Correct answer: Who is Caruso? (Enrico, 1837-1921.) Lauterbach's response: Who is Lanza? (Mario, 1921-59.) So he ended his latest claim to fame with a handshake from Trebek and the promise of some "exciting parting gifts." And it certainly raises an interesting thought for those of us who interviewed him all those years ago: Maybe we would have gotten more out of him if we'd asked our questions backward, Jeopardy-style.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/408476082/
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Well, this one took me a while, but it's done, October 17, 1994, George Fries vs. Bazil Facchina vs. Eileen Lynch.

Quick notes:

Very disappointed that Bazil did not get to respond to the "Brazil" clue. I notice Portuguese explorer "Pedro Cabral" is not on this board's Explorers Pavlov List. He first sighted the country in 1500 and called it Vera Cruz. Definitely add him to your flashcards.

New to the J! Canon, the movie "How to Frame a Figg", as part of a clue. They asked for the film's star, who has been asked about plenty of other times.
Spoiler
Who is Don Knotts? Films of his that are J! Canon as responses include Pleasantville, The Love God, and the second part of the title of Hot Lead and Cold Feet
Clue of the game and a Thing Worth Knowing will be HISTORIC AMERICA for $400 (J!):
This Washington, D.C. house, once the residence of Harry Truman, is named for the founder of the Washington Globe
Spoiler
What is Blair House? Across the street from the White House, it's the official guest house. Truman notably stayed there for 4 years while the White House was being renovated.
I think maybe next I'll focus on my share of the remaining 2002 games, get those finished.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:33 pm Well, this one took me a while, but it's done, October 17, 1994, George Fries vs. Bazil Facchina vs. Eileen Lynch.
Here's the link: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6361

What's the deal with Eileen's FJ response?