Monday, March 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Never heard of the Niagara term, but if faced with the DD, that's what I'm guessing.

I also neg with Clare de Lune for Debussy, and I'm not actually sure if I come up with Harvest Moon in time. Maybe I should pause when faced with a DD to see if I can get it. How much time do they get? 5 seconds?

I really need to study the lit category. I only got the top box.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The year 1919 did make me think of the Spanish flu, particularly in light of the Coronavirus and the urban legend going around saying the pope has it.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Count me in as one of those who didn't like the FJ! clue...

No, wait...

Count me in as one who HATED the crap out of that clue!

Question seemed to want something quite specific, and all they wanted was something vague... REALLY vague. Unless they'd never used the term "Missionaries" before that year? (I doubt that, knowing of all the California MISSIONS from as much as a couple hundred years earlier...)

Garbage, strictly garbage.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This game had DBEYR and the category RUBRIC CUES; this 2003 game I recently came across browsing J! Archive had the only other DBEYR, and its FJ referenced a Rubik's Cube.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Welp, I don't get the hatred for the clue, but I also got it without any trouble. "People who go out and spread the word. Like those characters from Book of Mormon. What are they again...missionaries!"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Instaget FJ and another shocked to see it become a TS (and Akec’s Comment that it was hard). I’ll be interested to see how it polls, too
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got missionaries but it felt like the clue was looking for a specific group. I was also thrown off by the word 'workers' and started to think about laborers and unions.

It seems like Bruce had a good knowledge pool and he was absolutely dominant on the buzzer. I want to know what kind of buzzer training he did to prepare.

There were a lot of good clues in this game. Definitely one for me to take a second look at.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I think the new champ probably weighs about a buck eighty, and that takes about 2700 calories to feed. Gotta run a half-marathon to burn off 4000 calories a day. We are getting some weird open ended interviews lately :lol:.

I benefited from low expectations and underthinking FJ. I would have no idea about Papal communications. But we weren't trying to guess the Pope's words, it was Jesus' quote. It still could have been relevant to 1919 events, but I just took the missionary position and stayed with it. (I'm too tired to edit that phrase :roll:)

I couldn't get past Ed Asner to get to Lou Grant.

As pointed out, Bruce lost some serious coin on a dodgy category. But YOLO. Software engineers probably are doing OK.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I got this FJ with no difficulty. Although I did briefly consider migrant workers.
MarkBarrett wrote:Those who want winners with runaway cushions to bet big got their wish today. Easy come easy go for Bruce returning with 13245 instead of 18800 24355.
Your Risk/Reward figures need a little adjusting.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

For any comic book judges on the boards:

Phoenix for Jean Grey?

I don't know if the two entities are considered separate or not.

EDIT: Simply looking up both actress' names and their roles was all I needed to do. It counts.
Last edited by BrigadierSolo13 on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:17 am I got this FJ with no difficulty. Although I did briefly consider migrant workers.
MarkBarrett wrote:Those who want winners with runaway cushions to bet big got their wish today. Easy come easy go for Bruce returning with 13245 instead of 18800 24355.
Your Risk/Reward figures need a little adjusting.
He was comparing what Bruce won with the most he could have won with an incorrect response.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:21 am For any comic book judges on the boards:

Phoenix for Jean Grey?

I don't know if the two entities are considered separate or not.
Yes, that's fine.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Volante wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm Welp, I don't get the hatred for the clue, but I also got it without any trouble. "People who go out and spread the word. Like those characters from Book of Mormon. What are they again...missionaries!"
So, you wouldn't have any problem with this clue and answer?

"The people of Boston are still excited about the October 2004 performance of these people."

The response they are looking for (and the only one they'll take) is "Who are...Athletes?"
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

John Boy wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:30 pm 3) A 7-letter music term meaning to play lively and fast??? Apparently they wanted allegro but I came up with scherzo, which is (in my musical experience) even MORE lively and much faster. Judges?
That was a bad clue. Here's the exact wording:
This 7-letter word on a musical score like "Flight Of The Bumblebee" means to play lively & fast
The clue sort of seems to pin the response to the marking of "Flight of the Bumblebee" -- except it doesn't, because that piece is marked "vivace," which is not 7 letters. So we're looking for any 7-letter word on a score that "means to play lively & fast." Your response of "scherzo" works, as does mine of "animato." I'm sure there are other possible responses.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,200
44 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Niagara (DD), La Mer (DD), notion, monkey wrench, Lou Grant

I agree that this FJ! was a bit weird. I considered nuns, but given that they don't necessarily travel the world, I stuck with missionaries.

Three months' salary for an engagement ring?! I've always heard two months', and even that is ridiculous.
Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:43 pm I was a bit surprised Anita Hill was gotten correct, didn’t know if her name would be known by people not alive during the Thomas hearings.
There was a 2016 HBO movie starring Kerry Washington as Hill that brought her name back into the public consciousness. In addition, many pundits and Democrat pols attempted to draw parallels between Hill and Christine Blasey Ford (or, more to the point, between Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh) during the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings.
Sprinkles are for winners.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Bruce played a strong overall game. He likely misunderstood the first DD clue, which is unfortunate but didn’t cost him a runaway.

I don’t care what players wager in runaway games. MacKenzie just took her money and ran to the next game. Bruce tried to add to his total. I would probably be more like MacKenzie while wishing I had the guts to be more like Bruce.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

yclept wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:41 am Bruce played a strong overall game. He likely misunderstood the first DD clue, which is unfortunate but didn’t cost him a runaway.

I don’t care what players wager in runaway games. MacKenzie just took her money and ran to the next game. Bruce tried to add to his total. I would probably be more like MacKenzie while wishing I had the guts to be more like Bruce.
For me, it would depend on the category...

AFRICAN CAPITALS = time to max out my payday
STAGE TO SCREEN = wager zero, survive and advance
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

On that X-Men category, thank you to the contestants for sparing us another "Doctor X/Professor X" debate.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Incidentally, just before the show I was reading a news article about how Gordon Biersch is closing a lot of its brewpubs. Sometimes my retail geekery helps.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Add me to the chorus of those who got FJ! but was wondering if there was something I was missing. Apart from all the blah blah blah that is almost the definition of missionary but it seemed way too easy so I considered other options - even a clarifier like Jesuit or Franciscan. Surely the contestants are all familiar with the term and this is a triple-stumper due to overthinking.

Agree that it is not a very good FJ clue.