Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Learned League 84

Post by triviawayne »

for Q5 yesterday, I don't have enough knowledge of sports to figure out what team is in what conference.

The way I went after this one was to try and figure out actors with short first/last names. I probably shouldn't have limited myself to three letters each as I did because I don't remember ever seeing more than that on a score bug.

I answered with Jet Li
Total game show career losings = $171,522
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:53 am
StevenH wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:23 am I had my third straight tie yesterday, this one 7(4)-7(5). I thought that Sancho Panza was the name of the donkey from Don Quixote :oops: I also considered Run D.M.C., but I remembered hearing the news story back when the one guy from the group died and thought for sure that I would at least recognize his name. I didn't, and guessed Three Six Mafia.
My Kosman koin came up with Public Enemy, and I only got halfway to the actor's name, putting Brad Butler down (forgot Pitt was in Big East), hoping that he was some sort of actor :oops:
My first and semi-long-lasting thought was "Sean Penn". Couldn't figure out what "Sean" would be short for, though. Took a while, then realized that while "Penn" is an Eastern school, it certainly was never Big East, which led me to look for alternatives and landed on "Brad Pitt".
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I went with COVID-19 after much deliberation and got marked wrong. Zero points assigned

Sean Penn, because I wasn’t getting it anyway, or so I thought, but I might have landed on Brad Pitt if I gave it more time
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

I managed to get a 9(6) yesterday with a couple good guesses on Crossroads (without Brittany Spears) and Ford. Still in last place and still winless.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cmp146 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 am I managed to get a 9(6) yesterday with a couple good guesses on Crossroads (without Brittany Spears) and Ford. Still in last place and still winless.
I had to take my kids to see the Britney version. OMG it was beyond awful.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:52 am
cmp146 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 am I managed to get a 9(6) yesterday with a couple good guesses on Crossroads (without Brittany Spears) and Ford. Still in last place and still winless.
Would you have sold your soul to get out of it?

[sympathies to cmp146 who is having the worst luck]
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Another tie for me yesterday. I considered Ford but thought that a U.S. President as the answer would be too obvious, so I went with Edmund Muskie.

When I first read the House question I thought that the answer was a show like Fear Factor or something similar. It took half the day of pondering the questions for that one to click for me.
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:52 am
The good news is that watching that movie will lop years off your stay in Purgatory. It's like being a Detroit Lions fan: get your suffering out of the way while on Earth.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

15 games left to get 9 wins in order to tie my D record...I don't like my odds.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was surprised so many people (47%) got Crossroads. I'd never even heard of that movie and I was actually watching movies in the mid-80s! :D

I suppose there's the Robert Johnson angle, too, but blues history doesn't seem like something a lot of people would know.

Thought for sure "derby" would be the MCWA on the horse racing one.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Went Arlen Spector on the JFK question, Ford crossed my mind, but then I thought that one would be too easy; and thought Spector might have been in the House before the Senate (he wasn't).

Steeplechase was one of those great questions I love seeing--something you don't need to know but can figure out.

Discus was a guess, but athletic led me to Olympic games. Thought of wrestling, but since the word "subject" wasn't plural, ruled that out. Was thinking I saw a sculpture of someone doing discus once, went with that.

Mad at myself for not putting more thought into the TV question. I went with Bones, but because of the wording of the question, should've gone with House.

This game puts me first in my rundle!!!!...for relegation :(
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 am I was surprised so many people (47%) got Crossroads. I'd never even heard of that movie and I was actually watching movies in the mid-80s! :D

I suppose there's the Robert Johnson angle, too, but blues history doesn't seem like something a lot of people would know.

To me it's a judging error of needless generosity or benefit of the doubt, but I got credit for "Crossroad" without the ending S. No matter as my opponent had 9(6). I'm going from the penthouse of winning my C last season to the outhouse of dead last in B. I knew/didn't recall the exact title the movie since I saw it as a rental with the store owner suggesting it.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 am I was surprised so many people (47%) got Crossroads. I'd never even heard of that movie and I was actually watching movies in the mid-80s! :D

I had never heard of the movie, but I certainly know about the actual Crossroads. I've been there.

More people should know more about Robert Johnson.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I put Deep Blue Sea and hoped for a miracle

I was falling asleep on The Outsider on HBO last night and saw my phone light up reminding me to submit LL. I saw the questions earlier in the day, but steeplechase and House only came to me right before submitting.

Any day I get the sports question right is a guaranteed win! 6(4)-5(3) (terrible defense, I know)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I used to hang out in a late night bar that had a number of regular musical acts. One was a blues singer who had a song called Crossroads. I never paid much attention to the lyrics, but the question made it sound like this is what it was about.

There was an episode of I Love Lucy where she is trying to learn sculpting and does a replica of the discus statue using Fred as a model. It didn’t go well, but that helped me get it right yesterday.

The only one I missed was House as I have never watched the show. Usually 5 is a winning score in D, but my opponent drank the beer. My TV score is high, so I was hoping for a 9(5), but he gave me one for that.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:55 am The way I went after this one was to try and figure out actors with short first/last names.
I too, but I figured there'd also be the same # of letters in each name. Anyway, easy for me since the Big East used to get big coverage in the New York papers back when St. John's had a strong program, and I was still paying attention.

I guessed Miller's Crossing for the Robert Johnson story, obviously having no idea what it was about. I did remember Crossroads as a Britney Spears vehicle.

I'd read about the discus thrower quite recently, and I'd have thought it was LL. Perhaps it was a one-day special.

I took the "!" at the end of the TV question as a cue to answer with a show that ends in "!", so that's what i tried to do, though "Rescue me! (sic)" doesn't, actually.
I'm smart and I want respect.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Walter Hill, who directed two of my favorite films (The Warriors and Streets of Fire) never really recovered from Brewster's Millions.
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:57 pm I took the "!" at the end of the TV question as a cue to answer with a show that ends in "!", so that's what i tried to do, though "Rescue me! (sic)" doesn't, actually.
I think the exclamation point is because it was a running bit on the show (which became a meme) that it's never lupus, making it noteworthy the time that it was.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:40 am

I had never heard of the movie, but I certainly know about the actual Crossroads. I've been there.

A few years ago, when I was living in Michigan, a neighbor and his wife went on a road trip to the South. He came back with a T-shirt: it had an illustration of the Crossroads on it, marker shields for the two U.S. highways that intersected there, and an image of Robert Johnson.

Also, in 1988 Eric Clapton released box set of his work titled "Crossroads". It featured several versions of the song of that name.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:31 pm
Coelacanth wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:40 am

A few years ago, when I was living in Michigan, a neighbor and his wife went on a road trip to the South. He came back with a T-shirt: it had an illustration of the Crossroads on it, marker shields for the two U.S. highways that intersected there, and an image of Robert Johnson.

Also, in 1988 Eric Clapton released box set of his work titled "Crossroads". It featured several versions of the song of that name.
I kept hearing that song in my head as 'I went down to the crossroad", and I waffled for much of the day between crossroad and crossroads. Turns out it didn't matter, but I went the right way anyway.