Tuesday, March 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:01 pm
They got those obscure Lord of the Flies characters and took the gaspipe on Tweedledumdee?
I don't have an explanation for the latter but 1954 and castaways probably had more to do with the solve than the character names...
In addition to ova = egg and virent = verdant = green, I was helped by perna = pernil = roast pork in a Cuban restaurant... :)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:59 pm I was helped by perna = pernil = roast pork in a Cuban restaurant... :)
Thank you! I knew there was a pork dish I had heard of somewhere whose name was reminiscent of perna.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

CasualJeopardyFan wrote: Shame to see Bruce go out so early; he was a fun contestant!
I liked him too. He showed a pretty decent depth of knowledge for his age. It's a shame he got picked off by a tough FJ.
The two challengers were solid players and easy to root for. This was one of those rare games that I wish the tie games were allowed so at least one of them might get to play another game.

Mike really has the Waddy Wachtel hairdo goin'.
Golf wrote:So nobody noticed or wants to mention Bruce's math error in FJ resulting in him not making a cover wager?

Or perhaps I'm the one who can't do math......

I'm thinking he was just speculating that Mike would not go deep. By trimming the 1000, he left himself enough to guarantee a win on a triple stumper.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

I'll be the first to grouse that "Brass in Pocket" isn't followed by a parenthetical "(I'm Special)" on any release of the first Pretenders album that I've ever seen.

Re FJ, my limited Latin got me eggs but not green, so I tried Horton Hatches the Egg. Can someone--ideally John Cleese in a centurion costume--explain why the title uses two different spellings for "green"--something to do with singular vs. plural maybe?
In and out of the pool four times
blueoncemoon
Contributor

Post by blueoncemoon »

Can someone--ideally John Cleese in a centurion costume--explain why the title uses two different spellings for "green"--something to do with singular vs. plural maybe?
My guess would be the gender of the nouns.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A friend of mine posted on FB, "Robert Plant won Jeopardy!"

Speaking of heavy metal (sorta) ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl3u-rcVgVs
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:28 pm
JemRiffster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:32 pm For Geology $1600, I guessed "fossilization." Judges?
I'd BMS you. Petrification is a specific type of fossilization.
Cool cool cool. Thanks! I had figured as much, but wanted to see what others thought. Gonna keep it marked as wrong 'cause I can't say for certain if I would have come up with petrification. I was so close to setting a season best Coryat too...
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

reddpen wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 am I'll be the first to grouse that "Brass in Pocket" isn't followed by a parenthetical "(I'm Special)" on any release of the first Pretenders album that I've ever seen.
Seconded. With all of the famous rock songs that use parentheticals in their titles, they could easily have used one where this wasn't an issue.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought "Money (That's What I Want)" was a tough choice for the top box, even if I got it right. The Beatles version wasn't even a single!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:36 am
reddpen wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:18 am I'll be the first to grouse that "Brass in Pocket" isn't followed by a parenthetical "(I'm Special)" on any release of the first Pretenders album that I've ever seen.
Seconded. With all of the famous rock songs that use parentheticals in their titles, they could easily have used one where this wasn't an issue.
Sure, lots of parenthetical song titles the writers could have used. The category was about songs and not album listings. That single by Pretenders has the parenthetical on some 45s and in Billboard to have nothing wrong on the writer/researcher end. The song title being able to be found without the inclusion of (I'm Special) does not negate it.

There are probably thousands of songs with various tweaks to titles that could have listeners more familiar with one way than another though does not make the less familiar version incorrect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:02 pm Best pickup for me was "Brass in Pocket" 8-)
You're special!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:22 am Mike really has the Waddy Wachtel hairdo goin'.
I'm going with Albrecht Dürer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

+1 Horton hatches the egg

I got to “eggs” immediately then got stuck on thinking “virent” meant “they see / saw”. Would hate to go out on a FJ like that
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For some reason I drew a blank on a children's book with egg or eggs in the title. I put down Humpty Dumpty, but was pretty sure I was going to be wrong.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 am
Woppy T wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:36 am
Sure, lots of parenthetical song titles the writers could have used. The category was about songs and not album listings. That single by Pretenders has the parenthetical on some 45s and in Billboard to have nothing wrong on the writer/researcher end. The song title being able to be found without the inclusion of (I'm Special) does not negate it.

There are probably thousands of songs with various tweaks to titles that could have listeners more familiar with one way than another though does not make the less familiar version incorrect.
The 1979 Sire Records 45 single I have absolutely has (I'm Special) on it - so the parenthetical title was very definitely in use at the time.
--
Drowning in the pool
davey

Post by davey »

I had no idea what "Brass in Pocket" was. Now that I've looked it up, if I'd ever had to name it "I'm Special" would certainly have been my guess.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

I'm surprised no one else mentioned the wording of THIS clue setting off their grammar OCD:

"This type of event is meant to move possible damaged merchandise quickly & at very low prices"
--
Drowning in the pool
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:25 pm I had no idea what "Brass in Pocket" was. Now that I've looked it up, if I'd ever had to name it "I'm Special" would certainly have been my guess.
"Make You Notice" would be mine. I once wrote a pub quiz handout where I retitled songs with a lyric that was sung more than the actual title (but stuck to songs whose original titles got sung at least once), and that was in there, along with "Got Till It's Gone" by Joni Mitchell, "That Was Just a Dream" by R.E.M., "Nothing Else Compares" by Coldplay, and "Falling" by The Beatles (among others).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Parenthetical Song Titles.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Philistine, Tweedledum & Tweedledee, Nicholas Nickleby, Gwen Stefani, The Talented Mr. Ripley, How Sweet It Is
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:00 am I thought "Money (That's What I Want)" was a tough choice for the top box, even if I got it right. The Beatles version wasn't even a single!
I recognized it from a soundtrack, likely Lord of War, but it's been in many others apparently, including Crazy Rich Asians.
(I didn't -get- it, but I did recognize it. That still puts it safely in top row territory given my pop music knowledge)
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:52 am
Category 13 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:22 am Mike really has the Waddy Wachtel hairdo goin'.
I'm going with Albrecht Dürer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer
I was thinking Weird Al
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)