Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 84

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:40 am
More people should know more about Robert Johnson.
I had never heard of the movie, but knew the Johnson story. It’s also indirectly referenced in O Brother Where Art Thou and is a major plot point in one of the earlier seasons of Supernatural.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:40 am More people should know more about Robert Johnson.
I took a class in college called Rock 'n' Roll from the Beginning. The Robert Johnson "Complete Recordings" set was required listening.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

My 5th straight tie!

I stupidly talked myself out of champagne. I recognized Korbel as a brand name but was not familiar with the slogan and didn't see how "champagne" fit (I guessed "import"). I don't know what it was about seeing champagne as the correct response, but the second that I did I all of a sudden understood the slogan.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

StevenH wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:22 am My 5th straight tie!

I stupidly talked myself out of champagne. I recognized Korbel as a brand name but was not familiar with the slogan and didn't see how "champagne" fit (I guessed "import"). I don't know what it was about seeing champagne as the correct response, but the second that I did I all of a sudden understood the slogan.
This was one I got because of the wording of the question, never heard of Korbel, so was happy for this get.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I don't even want to mention it for fear of jinxing it, but I'm now sitting in second place in A Fjord after winning yesterday! Still a lot of season left, of course. Got all six yesterday. Almost put Lyceum for the Aristotle school, but finally thought of academy and liked that answer better. I would have won my match, anyway, because my opponent assigned one for that question and he missed a two-pointer (Quasar).
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:40 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:56 am I was surprised so many people (47%) got Crossroads. I'd never even heard of that movie and I was actually watching movies in the mid-80s! :D

I suppose there's the Robert Johnson angle, too, but blues history doesn't seem like something a lot of people would know.

Thought for sure "derby" would be the MCWA on the horse racing one.
I had never heard of the movie, but I certainly know about the actual Crossroads. I've been there.

More people should know more about Robert Johnson.
Back in the summer of '88 I was at the record release party in Cambridge, MA for Tracy Chapman's debut album, largely because a friend was opening for her. During an introduction to one of her songs, she mentioned Robert Johnson as someone that "probably none of you have ever heard of," which I found unbearably condescending. Not garnering my support somehow didn't much affect her record sales.
In and out of the pool four times
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:02 amAlmost put Lyceum for the Aristotle school...
I did put it. You may note that I'm in A Lyceum.

(And the Academy, asked about in the question, was Plato's school -- it was Aristotle's school that was the Lyceum.)
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

trainman wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:21 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:02 amAlmost put Lyceum for the Aristotle school...
I did put it. You may note that I'm in A Lyceum.

(And the Academy, asked about in the question, was Plato's school -- it was Aristotle's school that was the Lyceum.)
As far as Aristotle and Plato and which school was founded by which, I don't have a mnemonic good enough to recommend to others. For myself though, I've always remembered that while it would be convenient if it were Aristotle's Academy, things don't always work out so neatly and isn't that a good lesson right there?
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wonder why he asked for all three of the Triumvirate. Usually he only asks for one. Ah well. I had Clay and Webster, but blanked on Calhoun and put Pinckney.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:03 am Wonder why he asked for all three of the Triumvirate. Usually he only asks for one. Ah well. I had Clay and Webster, but blanked on Calhoun and put Pinckney.
Yeah, I didn't like that question at all. Somehow neither of my opponents put 3 points on that question. (I had Calhoun, Jackson and Quincy Adams)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Calhoun and Clay were instant gets, but I was only about 80% sure on Webster. I thought that it was a fine question, except that it may have been really hard for the LLamas who live outside of North America. If I have any gripe with the question it's that I thought that it was pointless to put the names in the correct order. I was extremely careful to make sure that I did exactly that!

I only knew High Noon because a similar clue had been a FJ in the past.

My streak of ties finally ended, as I lucked into a 6(3)-3(3) win.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Clay and Webster came instantly. I had to work to get Calhoun. Which went with which state wasn't a problem.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

StevenH wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:23 am

This was another one of those great LL questions that could be reasoned out.

Real time movie, began at 10:40am. Can't have people sitting in the theater too long, and noon comes 1'20" after the start...High Noon.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:45 am

Real time movie, began at 10:40am. Can't have people sitting in the theater too long, and noon comes 1'20" after the start...High Noon.
Wow. Didn't even realize that. Just knew the movie. But yeah, that's a great way to have gotten it.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Yup. I thought 3:10 to Yuma, but the math didn’t work.

Got all 3 statesmen but missed the video game and lost 6(5)-7(5)

Boo!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 am

Wow. Didn't even realize that. Just knew the movie. But yeah, that's a great way to have gotten it.
I have never seen the movie but I got it right due to the time.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I didn't even have a decent guess for the video game, so I went for a best wrong answer attempt with "Bend a Fender Like Beckham."
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:20 am Clay and Webster came instantly. I had to work to get Calhoun. Which went with which state wasn't a problem.
:oops: . I had Webster and Clay and an educated guess at Calhoun. But I only knew that Clay was a southerner and misplaced all three, sticking Calhoun in MA.
I can't say I'm fond of requiring 5 bits of knowledge for a single answer. Who is that meant to punish? I wonder how many of the 78% (failure rate) got the three names right but not the states?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:11 am

Yup. I thought 3:10 to Yuma, but the math didn’t work.

Got all 3 statesmen but missed the video game and lost 6(5)-7(5)

Boo!
3:10 to Yuma came to mind for me as well
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:42 am I can't say I'm fond of requiring 5 bits of knowledge for a single answer. Who is that meant to punish?
Just you, my friend