Monday, March 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RELIGION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 countries that border each other are second & third in worldwide population of Muslims

Paul Trifiletti: 21000+1401=22401 (4X = $83,803)
Michael Campanelli: 10800+10795=21595
Chloe Arnett: 11200-11000=200

Correct response:
Spoiler
India & Pakistan (Chloe – Egypt and Libya)

Daily Doubles
Chloe: 2200-2200
Paul: 9000+2500
Paul: 17100+1500

Coryats
Paul: 19400
Michael: 10800
Chloe: 13400

Combined: 43,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Paul: 8600
Michael: 800
Chloe: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The DJ! round ending with the Cosmos category unfinished surprised me. There was not even time for Alex to get in extra remarks to hype the program.

Paul was +4000 on DD2 & DD3 and needed only 1401 more for the lock. Instead of wrapping up the victory before the FJ! round he had to wait until after it. It made the game more interesting for viewers that way as Michael made Paul solve the clue.

No solve for me on the clue. I instantly wrote Indonesia when I saw the clue and was stuck for a border. I switched to Africa and matched Chloe while feeling like i had next to none chance of being right. Even I knew not to do Iran/Iraq if someone posts they went that way. The right pair makes plenty of population sense while I did not have the common sense to get that area.

The best way to get a ToC in under two years is to have a bunch of qualifying champs in shorter periods of time. Paul winning tomorrow would help that cause.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Trap door for the judges today accepting Jerry Lewis for Jerry Lee Lewis, in my opinion.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive play-through:

Coryat $31,000 (42R, 3W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

Not thrilled with my performance. No idea on DD1, but that is filed away now. Negs: "hire" on Choice $800 (ignored the keg part); fell for negbait with "revise" on Rags $1200 - which fit the category and was 6 letters - and "Annie Lennox" on Film $2000 queuing on "Sweet Dreams."

FJ required knowing that Pakistan is more populous than Bangladesh. Relying on information I probably saw in a World Almanac in the 80's, I picked the wrong one. :(

Added to to-do list: memorize top ten population countries in order (and pay close attention to when India passes China!)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:24 am Trap door for the judges today accepting Jerry Lewis for Jerry Lee Lewis, in my opinion.
Seconded.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The category for Final J! had me expanding the "Euro-means-not-British" rule to "Relgion-means-not-Christianity" rule. I guess it worked this time.

Final J! had me typing it in 1 second, and questioning it for 29 seconds. But with India being the second most populous country in the world, I figured it would make it high on the list in terms of absolute population of Muslims, even if it's a majority Hindu country. Add to that Pakistan, and the fairly well-known Indian/Pakistan border tensions, and I got there pretty easily. I even whiffed on the "second and third" - I thought the clue said "first and second".

Another Greco/Roman goddess mixup for me today. Birth of Aph-d'oh-dite. I could even picture her on the shell. $4000 swing for me.

I got Coates mixed up wtih Waititi. I have enough trouble keeping the Marvel movies straight.

I said "Constitution" for "Preamble" for the bumper stumper piece of art. Is the piece itself famous? NHO for me, and the artist's name isn't in the archive. But it's relatively easy to get a 50/50/90 when you read the plates phonetically.

Anyone else get Ali Wong just from leaving your TV on when Netflix is showing?

I noted that Michael was helpfully slow in the singers category - Jim Morrison and James Brown escaped my lips just in time. The fact that he chose YOU'RE SHOWING YOUR AGE right after was just a cherry on the cake.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

$28,800, but surprisingly no Lach Trash.

Ran Good Choice, 4/5 in Men, You (overthought "fraternity") and Desert (didn't realize Australia had deserts).

Thirded on just "Jerry Lewis" for "Jerry Lee Lewis".

Rash guard was my only miss in Rags to Riches.

"Preamble" was tough. I was able to sound out "We the people" in the pictured license plates, but still couldn't shift gears in time.

Sweet Dreams = Patsy Cline eluded this country music fan. I almost said Annie Lennox too, but blanked on her name.

I had total brain lock on this. Was trying to picture the Middle East but I just completely froze and couldn't name a single country. Somehow not even India came up in 30 seconds when that should have been thuddingly obvious.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I was surprised by Jerry (Lee) Lewis, and definitely noted it....but was it wrong? Is "Lee" his middle name or part of his first name? I've always heard it as "Jerry Lee Lewis", but I've also always heard "William Randolph Hearst". I imagine "Lewis" would have been acceptable, but is "Jerry" wrong, or just "not enough"?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So am I the only person who learned the word "redact" entirely from the SCP Foundation?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I will confess to going with Iran and Iraq.

Jerry Lewis didn’t bother me.

I have never seen that license plate painting and thought it was a Warhol piece.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:41 pm I was surprised by Jerry (Lee) Lewis, and definitely noted it....but was it wrong? Is "Lee" his middle name or part of his first name? I've always heard it as "Jerry Lee Lewis", but I've also always heard "William Randolph Hearst". I imagine "Lewis" would have been acceptable, but is "Jerry" wrong, or just "not enough"?
These are professional names that denote two separate people. They wouldn't've accepted "John Adams" for "John Quincy Adams."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Went the right way in FJ by going to Pakistan and not Bangladesh. Thought Bangladesh may have a higher percentage of Hindus. :mrgreen:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I knew Indonesia has the highest number of Muslims and I was pretty sure Pakistan has a ton. I’m glad I didn’t think about Bangladesh. Numbers might be fairly close.

Good game for Paul. I used to live near greenlawn. It’s on Long Island & it’s mostly houses.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $34,400 (44R, 1W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Negged with revise for redact. Couldn’t think what the date referred to.

I was stuck on Indonesia for a long time, then remembered it actually had the *most* Muslims and made it to the correct pair in time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:51 pm Went the right way in FJ by going to Pakistan and not Bangladesh. Thought Bangladesh may have a higher percentage of Hindus. :mrgreen:
Pakistan, India and Bangladesh are 2, 3 and 4. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_by_country

I overthought it and picked 7 and 8... (Iran, Turkey)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

squarekara wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:39 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:41 pm I was surprised by Jerry (Lee) Lewis, and definitely noted it....but was it wrong? Is "Lee" his middle name or part of his first name? I've always heard it as "Jerry Lee Lewis", but I've also always heard "William Randolph Hearst". I imagine "Lewis" would have been acceptable, but is "Jerry" wrong, or just "not enough"?
These are professional names that denote two separate people. They wouldn't've accepted "John Adams" for "John Quincy Adams."
Perhaps it makes a difference that the two Adamses are essentially famous for the same thing and the two Lewises are not.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Technically not wrong. Lee Oswald and Martin King Jr. would agree.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:39 pm
squarekara wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:39 pm
Perhaps it makes a difference that the two Adamses are essentially famous for the same thing and the two Lewises are not.
Good point.
https://youtu.be/KkGTwmJxHA0