Monday, March 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, March 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For FJ I figured Indonesia was #1, but then decided Iran has to be #2 and that was my demise. I put Iran and Saudi Arabia even though I'm not sure a water border would even count. Sort of embarrassing to get both countries wrong! No clue why Pakistan wasn't even on my radar. :oops:
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

squarekara wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:39 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:41 pm I was surprised by Jerry (Lee) Lewis, and definitely noted it....but was it wrong? Is "Lee" his middle name or part of his first name? I've always heard it as "Jerry Lee Lewis", but I've also always heard "William Randolph Hearst". I imagine "Lewis" would have been acceptable, but is "Jerry" wrong, or just "not enough"?
These are professional names that denote two separate people. They wouldn't've accepted "John Adams" for "John Quincy Adams."
Ah, I hadn't even thought about Jerry Lewis, despite having watched a J! (this season or Netflix?) that had HEY LAD-"E" as a category. But I agree with seaborg - the potential for confusion seems minimal, and it seems a bit pedantic to require a BMS.

I still find "Jerry Lewis" as a very odd name abbreviation, so I guess you could neg it if you're in a bad mood. But I also find it odd that contestants remember to say "Les Miserables" every time, instead of "Les Miz".
Leander

Post by Leander »

For FJ, I was pretty sure Pakistan was #2, then flipped a coin between Iran and India for #3, and went the wrong way with Iran.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

I went with Turkey and Iran, with a low degree of confidence. At least they are neighbors. :D
davey

Post by davey »

I'm pretty sure I've read this FJ fact in at least one article about Narendra Modi and his government. Gave me more confidence in the response than I would have had otherwise, though it seems the intuitive response to me anyway. But I admit I never considered Bangladesh...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If Modi has his way, India will drop out of the Top 10 entirely.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Pakistan and Iran here...
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Egypt and Saudi Arabia here. Now that I look at the list, I can see how far off I was. I figured India was more Hindu than Muslim, but even so, the population difference is enough to make India way more than either of the two.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

squarekara wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:05 pm Good point.
https://youtu.be/KkGTwmJxHA0
Awesome clip.

His late-in-life senile/insensitive remarks aside, Jerry Lewis is underrated--he wasn't just shtick, but a performer of versatility and precision and an auteur storyteller with few peers in terms of the control he was able to wield. He could have had a whole different career as a Rat-Pack type if he had made his Buddy Love character his standard public persona--as just one example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwFf9vGRqcs
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Guessed Iran and Iraq just to say something... I just don't care which region follows what superstition.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:16 am For FJ I figured Indonesia was #1, but then decided Iran has to be #2 and that was my demise. I put Iran and Saudi Arabia even though I'm not sure a water border would even count. Sort of embarrassing to get both countries wrong! No clue why Pakistan wasn't even on my radar. :oops:
I was another who said Pakistan and Iran. Looking at the numbers, India isn't far off Indonesia for #1 :shock: My wife, however, got it right.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,800
48 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Malcolm Gladwell, Preamble

Really foggy-brained game for me, especially the J! round. I blanked on bloody Mary (in fairness, I was still filling in the categories on my spreadsheet), bellini, Gertrude Stein, and Ta-Nehisi Coates. I just barely came up with Kalahari in time.

I shuffled through a bunch of countries on J! before scrawling out Afghanistan and Pakistan just as time was running out. I might have gotten to the right response with five more seconds, but alas...

I'm not great at art, so maybe I should be thankful, but Botticelli and shell and "Birth," on a $2000 clue? Really?
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Iran and Turkey here.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed Ali Wong and Playing the Singer on Film $800 and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Malcolm Gladwell, (Gertrude Stein), Preamble, Landmines
Douglas Squasoni