Tuesday, March 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY PLAYS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the title of a British-set comedy, it completes the final line "I’ve now realized for the first time in my life the vital..."

Paul Trifiletti: 13000+10000=23000 (5X = $106,801)
Mark Nasielski: 16600-9401=7199
Lacey Davies: 1000+1000=2000

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Importance of Being Earnest (Mark – Reason for Being)

Daily Doubles
Mark: 2400+2400
Mark: 7800+3200
Mark: 17000-2000

Coryats
Paul: 13000
Mark: 14400
Lacey: 1000

Combined: 28,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Paul: 1800
Mark: 8200
Lacey: minus 200
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After DD1 Mark led: 4800 to 600 for Lacey to 0 for Paul.
After DD2 Mark led: 11000 to 3000 for Paul to minus 1400 for Lacey.
After DD3 Mark led: 15000 to 9800 for Paul to 1000 for Lacey. Mark could have had 19000, but did not know the 4th largest state.

Over the remaining clues Paul did enough to be in position to win if Mark did not know the FJ! clue. Throughout the DJ! round Paul could have possibly helped himself more with non-top box selections and trying to find DDs.

If the clue had been TS then Mark would have won with his 7199 since Paul risked falling below that point.

The FJ! clue was one I missed before the clue was revealed. I convinced myself it was going to be Our American Cousin. To keep playing the precall game during the break I thought of what turned out to be the right play and stopped my for fun list with a couple of Ibsen plays along with Strindberg's Miss Julie.

When I actually saw the clue I had no recognition or idea, but did have Alex's pre-reveal words in mind, "This one may be just a little tricky."

I wrote Our American Cousin even though the title did not fit the quote at all, but thought Alex's "tricky" could be "British" in the clue, but "American" in the title.

Yeah that's typical me to think of the right thing during the break and not have enough sense to recognize it when I saw the clue. :oops:

Nice work by Paul to let Mark control the buzzer and DDs yet do enough to earn a place at the champ's spot once again along with "earning" a place in the ToC. Counting future College and Teacher champs the field is more than half full and it could be 2/3rds if V3 makes it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

FOOTBALL gave contestants another chance to embarrass and/or redeem themselves. Alex got a workout in getting to demonstrate each signal.

$200 - Mark
$400 - Paul
$600 - Mark
$800 - Paul & Lacey both neg
$1000 - Mark neg

That's minus $400 for Paul, minus $200 for Mark, and minus $800 for Lacey for a total of minus $1400 with plus $3000 available. It was $2000 for me as I was distracted enough by growling at seeing #12 in the wording of the last clue that I could not process what Alex was doing in time.

Look for this game on Netflix years down the road as part of an Alex Trebek block.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Judges: "Importance of Being Earnest" okay without "the", as the line is NOT "the vital the Importance of Being Earnest"?
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

ACW wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:54 pm Judges: "Importance of Being Earnest" okay without "the", as the line is NOT "the vital the Importance of Being Earnest"?
I would say this is the most correct answer, based on the clue's wording. If anything, the show judges were being (understandably) lenient by accepting it with the "The" included.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $44,200 (54R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

With the caveat that I gave myself credit for "illegal substitution" on Football $1000, since it's the same signal and could also fit the clue.

Was all going great until I had no idea on FJ. Only 2 for my last 9 FJs, missing many gettable ones. Need to get off this schneid....
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $44,200 (54R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :(

29/29 in the J! round, with the caveat that I gave myself credit for "illegal substitution" on Football $1000, since it's the same signal and could also fit the clue.

Everything was all going great until I had no idea on FJ. Only 2 for my last 9 FJs, missing many gettable ones. Need to get off this schneid....
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Judges:. Answered "increase" for the 1,2,3,4 clue. :?:
FJ was a WECIB for me, answered without the starting "The" as it didn't make sense grammatical ly. :mrgreen:
Sucks playing the football category from the archive when you can't see Alex's signals. :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also left off the and I am counting it as correct in the poll Saturday.

I went 3/5 in football. I missed the too many men on the field and fourth down.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm Judges:. Answered "increase" for the 1,2,3,4 clue. :?:
FJ was a WECIB for me, answered without the starting "The" as it didn't make sense grammatical ly. :mrgreen:
Sucks playing the football category from the archive when you can't see Alex's signals. :(
I see no reason not to count "increase"... fits the clue and the category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Didn't like the football category. One of the most overly technical, YEKIOYD I've seen since... well, that notorious all-TS football category. I honestly don't expect anyone except the most hardcore of fans to know any of those.

NHO "associate justice" or that Hailee Steinfeld series. Can we poll the latter?

0/5 in Secondary Titles and End of the Emperor.

Emperor for $400 seemed like a coinflip on Julius/Augustus.

What was the TOM for Egypt on Goddess for $400? "Tefnus" sounds like it could be anything.

Bummed that the clock kept me from running my wheelhouse (Comics). Again.

No guess on FJ! Nothing seemed to fit. If I've come across the correct response, then it definitely didn't stick.

Lach Trash: Brigham Young. Also got the Montana DD
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 36,400
46 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: fourth down, too many men/illegal substitution, talib, Trees, Brigham Young, deputy, Brittany, Montana (DD)

J! is a cruel game. You can dominate all game long, only to get walloped by the Big Four.

It's worth knowing that the ten largest U.S. states are all west of the Mississippi. The largest state east of the Mississippi is Michigan, at #11. (This is in terms of total area. If we're talking land area, it's more complicated, since the answer could either be #14 Minnesota (partially east) or #21 Georgia (completely east).)

Joyce Kilmer = Trees is a Pavlov that comes up about once per season. If you have a memorization deck, it's worth a card.

"What do the lines over the cheese mean?" seems a bit overvalued at $1600.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:53 pm Didn't like the football category. One of the most overly technical, YEKIOYD I've seen since... well, that notorious all-TS football category. I honestly don't expect anyone except the most hardcore of fans to know any of those.
Nope. It played out exactly as would be expected. The first one should be known by anyone living in North America, the next two would be known by casual fans/observers, and the last two are for the more hardcore fan.
DBear wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:22 pm Judges:. Answered "increase" for the 1,2,3,4 clue. :?:
Certainly. Nothing in the clue excludes that response, and it fits the category.
Sprinkles are for winners.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:23 am Throughout the DJ! round Paul could have possibly helped himself more with non-top box selections and trying to find DDs.
You are too kind. He won anyway!

It must be said that Mark is very tall. And will be forever sad for missing Montana and Earnest. Sorry, Mark. I thought you had this one locked up.

Fellow New Yorker Lacey looked a bit bummed at the end of the Double Jeopardy round with just $1,000 to her name. Buzzer woes? Happy to see her nail FJ cold.

I'm a theatre guy, but the category still made me a bit nervous. False alarm. On my pre-call list: Cyrano de Bergerac, La Dame aux Camélias (source of La traviata) and The Importance of Being Earnest

I acted in the play, so this one was tailor made. Alas, I won't see the clue if/when I make it to the stage

Good boards for me, except for Football that is. Grrr.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:48 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:23 am Throughout the DJ! round Paul could have possibly helped himself more with non-top box selections and trying to find DDs.
You are too kind. He won anyway!

It must be said that Mark is very tall. And will be forever sad for missing Montana and Earnest. Sorry, Mark. I thought you had this one locked up.

Fellow New Yorker Lacey looked a bit bummed at the end of the Double Jeopardy round with just $1,000 to her name. Buzzer woes? Happy to see her nail FJ cold.

I'm a theatre guy, but the category still made me a bit nervous. False alarm. On my pre-call list: Cyrano de Bergerac, La Dame aux Camélias (source of La traviata) and The Importance of Being Earnest

I acted in the play, so this one was tailor made. Alas, I won't see the clue if/when I make it to the stage

Good boards for me, except for Football that is. Grrr.
I thought Mark could be Sheldon Cooper if Jim Parsons needs to be replaced for a revisit to the show.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:25 pm

It's worth knowing that the ten largest U.S. states are all west of the Mississippi. The largest state east of the Mississippi is Michigan, at #11
Indeed. Montana = 4th largest state seems to come up a lot.

I am a geek about weather extremes, so for me, -70 was a Pavlov for Montana. I'm guessing that puts me in the minority for which TOM I used in that clue...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:04 pm

It's worth knowing that the ten largest U.S. states are all west of the Mississippi. The largest state east of the Mississippi is Michigan, at #11

I am a geek about weather extremes, so for me, -70 was a Pavlov for Montana. I'm guessing that puts me in the minority for which TOM I used in that clue...
Here are two where J! wanted GA:

#6608, aired 2013-05-15 STUFF ABOUT STATES $800: This original 13er is the largest state in land area east of the Mississippi River

#1281, aired 1990-03-12 POTPOURRI $1000: It's the largest state entirely east of the Mississippi
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:04 pm

I would guess that as well. People who know Rogers Pass cold (because it’s so cold lol m I rite) are either really into knowing high/low temps or are from Montana.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I said "Assassinate" for the clue about Cladius being poisoned. Would that get a BMS?

I don't know if I've ever heard of finger limes and it seems like I won't be trying one any time soon, they're hard to find.

37R. 4/4 on big clues if the Cladius one wasn't immediately wrong. Missed "deputy" by saying "sheriff." Missed too many players on the field with offsides. Missed Marcus Aurelius even though I read his book. It was pretty good. Missed Lakshmi with Vishnu. Missed Alaska with Indiana because I forgot the category. Missed intaglio with inscribed, maybe I was thinking of incised. Missed some other ones. Lots of opportunity to learn.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.