Thursday, March 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, March 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 pm Am I missing something? How could Edward I confirm the Magna Carta when it was from the later King John's reign? :? :? :?
So I'm reading the Wiki article on this and I think I get it, but not to the point I could explain it. But it seems as a charter it wasn't quite a law, which confirming turned it into?...

Nope, that's not right...confirming is just adding the seal?... I think I'm making myself more confused...

Instafinal
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:36 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 pm Am I missing something? How could Edward I confirm the Magna Carta when it was from the later King John's reign? :? :? :?
So I'm reading the Wiki article on this and I think I get it, but not to the point I could explain it. But it seems as a charter it wasn't quite a law, which confirming turned it into?...

Nope, that's not right...confirming is just adding the seal?... I think I'm making myself more confused...

Instafinal
1215 King John
Next version his son Henry III
down to 1297 for Henry's son, Edward I.

Things change, but there was a chronological approach to it all.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 pm I bit down hard on the "Triassic" negbait. That was HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE negbait.
Except we're in the Cenozoic mentioned in the clue, an era that began with the extinction of the dinosaurs.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Instafinal
1215 King John

But it's not like every new president has to confirm the Constitution. And Henry III confirmed it multiple times:

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/magna-cart ... ament.html
King Henry III later confirmed Magna Carta in 1225, 1237, 1253, and 1265 as the need to levy new taxes arose.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Twelvefootgirl and I just watched "Saving Mr. Banks" last week, so no thought process was needed.

Ask me the Latin term for third, no problem. Tell me it's a geologic time span, gotta be Triassic kneejerk. I don't do paleontology stamp collecting, but I don't think I've heard of the Tertiary. Is there a Quaternary (rhetorical question)?
Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 pm
I read an article a couple weeks ago about bad movie accents and Van Dyke was mentioned as one of the worst offenders. He said he didn’t know it was bad at the time because none of the British people on the set said anything.
I can't believe anyone would WANT an authentic Cockney accent in a movie you want to market :roll: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

John Boy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 pm I have very rarely jumped all over a FJ clue like a dog on a bone the way I did with this one. Had the darned answer written down pretty much before AT was through reading. High degree of confidence. Real high.

Wait...you mean they weren't referring to Michael Caine in Alfie?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyone else out there go that direction? Anyone?...
Cockney is Michael Caine's native accent.
Dick Van Dyke, as has been pointed out, is from New Rochelle... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7XEMeBROQ
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:07 pm
I read an article a couple weeks ago about bad movie accents and Van Dyke was mentioned as one of the worst offenders. He said he didn’t know it was bad at the time because none of the British people on the set said anything.

Interesting we had a corona clue in a game with Dick Van Dyke as FJ. There is a coronavirus lockdown in New Rochelle, which is where his TV show was set.
New Rochelle was also home to MAD's Dave Berg and so, by extension, to Roger Kaputnik.

I've seen message board discussions about worst British accents by American actors, and Van Dyke was the clear popular favorite. Hugh Laurie, meanwhile, polled high for best American accent by a Brit. I can't fault anyone for their guesses, but MIchael Caine was/is a true Cockney, so I imagine he could do one pretty well.
I'm smart and I want respect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

My two cents for tonight (which is approximately what I have left after today's stock market crash): I greatly dislike when singers sing in their character's accent. People are paying big bucks to hear the likes of Bernadette Peters and Audra McDonald sing. They don't want to hear them faking a cockney or hillbilly accent. If you must do a fake accent to play Annie Oakley or Eliza Doolittle, fine but sing in your own voice.
Lefty wrote:
New Rochelle was also home to MAD's Dave Berg and so, by extension, to Roger Kaputnik.
Thats strange. I always thought Roger Kaputnik was Trump's third cousin's sister's barber's neighbor's third grade teacher's pet cat.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 37,400
47 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: locusts, 9-0, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tertiary, St. Louis, Greg Louganis, pike (DD), Fond du Lac, Chihuahua Desert (DD)

Bad Cockney accent is ol' Bert the chimney sweep, every time.

Rough start for me. With three royal family-related negs--two in the Royals category and one on the Tower of London--I went into the first break with an $800 Coryat. Other weak spots: I could not come up with Thomas Harris in time, and I chickened out on what turned out to be the Easy-est clue on the board.

That corona clue was too soon, writers.
Sprinkles are for winners.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:52 am
John Boy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 pm I have very rarely jumped all over a FJ clue like a dog on a bone the way I did with this one. Had the darned answer written down pretty much before AT was through reading. High degree of confidence. Real high.

Wait...you mean they weren't referring to Michael Caine in Alfie?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyone else out there go that direction? Anyone?...
Cockney is Michael Caine's native accent.
Dick Van Dyke, as has been pointed out, is from New Rochelle... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7XEMeBROQ
That explains everything EXCEPT why I bit so hard on this.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I can't say that when I saw Jessica's name on the Contestant Zone website on Monday I wasn't praying Alex wouldn't make the slip that he did.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:04 am BEFORE & AFTER $1200: Current slang term for a scornful glance at the optometrist’s test for visual acuity

Waseem: Slant eye exam. What is slant eye exam? :o

Dewi then had to rebound with the correct side eye exam.
I had evil eye test which is probably acceptable. FWIW, I have heard "evil eye" and "stink eye" much more often than "side eye". There's probably others that fit as well.

No clue on FJ and I'm surprised it is tracking as well as it is.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:04 am BEFORE & AFTER $1200: Current slang term for a scornful glance at the optometrist’s test for visual acuity
I had evil eye test which is probably acceptable. FWIW, I have heard "evil eye" and "stink eye" much more often than "side eye". There's probably others that fit as well.
Well, the clue did say "current slang," so it's obvious you'd have heard those long-established phrases more than the one that's actually current. (I'm not sure I could neg you on the basis of "evil eye" being older, though, since one could argue that since it isn't archaic/obsolete it qualifies as current. Had the clue said "recent slang," however, perhaps not. I'd give the side eye to "test" being accepted after having been in the clue, though.)

I had "side eye chart," which I think is fine also.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

The FJ! clue had me swing a miss as I did 1964 to My Fair Lady and wrote Rex Harrison. Fortunately, that was only one strike and as soon as I finished writing I knew who to switch to for a sure-thing swing & hit.
Completely spaced out on Mary Poppins and went the same direction. 1964? Cockney? Has to be My Fair Lady. But Rex Harrison had an upper-class accent, and it's a "he" so it can't be Audrey Hepburn. AHA! Alfred P. Doolittle.... who played him?..... think.... think.... think....OF COURSE -- Stanley Holloway, with 2 seconds to spare.

It was not a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious moment.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am

Waseem: Slant eye exam. What is slant eye exam? :o

Dewi then had to rebound with the correct side eye exam.

No clue on FJ and I'm surprised it is tracking as well as it is.
I went with "stink eye." I'll let you be "evil" if you'll let me have "stink."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:05 am I can't say that when I saw Jessica's name on the Contestant Zone website on Monday I wasn't praying Alex wouldn't make the slip that he did.
Triple negative. You can do better.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Instafinal
1215 King John

Derp. Somehow I had the Magna Carta in 1315. It's slipups like that that worry me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Prince Charles, Tesla, Locusts, 9-0, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Easy Rawlins, Tertiary, St. Louis, Greg Louganis, (Pike), Fond du Lac, (Chihuahuan Desert)
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:52 pm I bit down hard on the "Triassic" negbait. That was HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE negbait.
mas3cf wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:20 pm Also bit on Triassic... poll request?
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:52 pm gotta be Triassic
1. Triassic is named for the three layers of rock strata.
2. Triassic is in Mesozoic, not Cenozoic.
Douglas Squasoni
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Was I imagining things or was there laughter from the audience as the show returned from commercial for FJ?
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.