Friday, March 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:17 amI'd have to depend on the kindness of the judges.
Well played
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:17 am
I have the hardest time going from "Dutch" to "the Netherlands". As soon as I saw "tulip", I knew that it was the Dutch country, and blurted out the country of Holland. Ooo, sorry.

I'm sure just "Blanche" wouldn't be enough for the character "Blanche DuBois"....I'd have to depend on the kindness of the judges. I couldn't get out a last name in time, and it's 50/50 that I would blurt out "Devereaux" accidentally if prodded.
1. "Holland" has been used for centuries to refer to the country. The tourist board stopped using it only last year-
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... nt-rebrand

And see this-
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ht=holland

2. I see no reason not to allow just first names for most fictional characters. The board has discussed this before and I think there are have been exceptions on the show, but from my bench, you get it. I'd accept "Dubois," too, since Stella's a Kowalski now.

I have less sympathy for your not getting the point of the "State" category...Alex would undoubtedly say, "We want the state...," so you'd have another chance.

I wonder if "Blanche" earlier in the game obscured the correct root for me...In any case, it took some seconds to come up with it, but once I did, it was smooth sailing to the right bird...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

1. (Project) Gemini
2. jet (propulsion)
3. aerobatics
4. S. Dakota (really? what state are the Black Hills in? really>)
5. Martina Navratilova
6. Pele
7. Lou Gehrig
8. George Burns and Gracie Allen
9. chortle
10. "Lost Weekend"
11. Pearl Buck

If that's not a personal record for me, for greatest number of TSs scooped up in a single game, I can't recall when I ever had more. Don't recall how many others they missed and I did not scoop up.

That is just a sad, sad performance when three contestants stand and stare at basically one clue in five. *Deep Sigh*
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:20 pm 1. (Project) Gemini
2. jet (propulsion)
3. aerobatics
5. Martina Navratilova
6. Pele
7. Lou Gehrig
9. chortle
10. "Lost Weekend"
11. Pearl Buck

If that's not a personal record for me, for greatest number of TSs scooped up in a single game, I can't recall when I ever had more. Don't recall how many others they missed and I did not scoop up.

That is just a sad, sad performance when three contestants stand and stare at basically one clue in five. *Deep Sigh*
Louisiana, Michigan, water and horseback were also up for grabs.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:24 pm
John Boy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:20 pm 1. (Project) Gemini
2. jet (propulsion)
3. aerobatics
5. Martina Navratilova
6. Pele
7. Lou Gehrig
9. chortle
10. "Lost Weekend"
11. Pearl Buck

Louisiana, Michigan, water and horseback were also up for grabs.
You mean John Boy didn't know "state with a French named island" or "state associated with the UAW"? What a sad, sad performance.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:38 am
talkingaway wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:17 am
I have the hardest time going from "Dutch" to "the Netherlands". As soon as I saw "tulip", I knew that it was the Dutch country, and blurted out the country of Holland. Ooo, sorry.

I'm sure just "Blanche" wouldn't be enough for the character "Blanche DuBois"....I'd have to depend on the kindness of the judges. I couldn't get out a last name in time, and it's 50/50 that I would blurt out "Devereaux" accidentally if prodded.
1. "Holland" has been used for centuries to refer to the country. The tourist board stopped using it only last year-
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... nt-rebrand

And see this-
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ht=holland

2. I see no reason not to allow just first names for most fictional characters. The board has discussed this before and I think there are have been exceptions on the show, but from my bench, you get it. I'd accept "Dubois," too, since Stella's a Kowalski now.

I have less sympathy for your not getting the point of the "State" category...Alex would undoubtedly say, "We want the state...," so you'd have another chance.

I wonder if "Blanche" earlier in the game obscured the correct root for me...In any case, it took some seconds to come up with it, but once I did, it was smooth sailing to the right bird...
Duh on the Holland - I did a quick 2 second lookup on Wikipedia and just read the first half of the first sentence to see what the naming deal was. I saw that it was a "former region/province" of the Netherlands, but never got to the part where they said it was commonly used to refer to the whole country. I'll claw back that Coryat.

And I'll claw back the Blanche Coryat, too - it's a borderline case IMO, but I think I agree with you. I mean, in "Of Mice and Men", looking for a response of "Lenny" is 100% reasonable, while BMSing for "Lenny Small" just doesn't make sense. On the other hand, BMSing or negging "John" for "John Rambo" makes 100% sense.

And, yeah, I wasn't looking for any points on the STATE category - it was my goof, and I was probably in a minority of one. I just thought it was a little bit of a poorly executed category name. I don't mind categories where you might be surprised at how they turn out, because they do that all the time. Tonight's BIRDS category was really an ETYMOLOGY category. Sometimes it even takes me 2 or 3 clues to get the puns, because I'm concentrating on getting the clues right. But particularly in a top row clue (again, to discourage DD hunting), simply adding "in this state" would have cleared up any possible ambiguity.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Kim's last name is spelled wrong in the archive, for whoever can fix it.
--
Drowning in the pool
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ParrotRob wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:29 pm Kim's last name is spelled wrong in the archive, for whoever can fix it.
That's me. Done and thank you.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Who Did She Marry $400 and $1200.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gemini, Jet Propulsion, Aerobatics, South Dakota, Louisiana, Martina Navratilova, Pele, Lou Gehrig, Michigan, George & Gracie, Water, (Affluenza), Chortle, The Lost Weekend, Pearl S. Buck, Horseback
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm You mean John Boy didn't know "state with a French named island" or "state associated with the UAW"? What a sad, sad performance.
That was French?!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:34 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm You mean John Boy didn't know "state with a French named island" or "state associated with the UAW"? What a sad, sad performance.
That was French?!
Half of it was (the other half was Spanish), which threw me off.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I thought the champ was a goner when she contradicted Alex in the interview. Maybe that curse takes a holiday on Friday the 13th.

I don't have the historic Yankee numbers memorized, but I knew that 1939 was approximately when Gehrig was forced to retire. He never told his wife he had a terminal illness.

The state Clues were all so easy. That should have gone five out of five.

Hammer: there's also Revere in Minnesota.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:05 am I don't have the historic Yankee numbers memorized, but I knew that 1939 was approximately when Gehrig was forced to retire. He never told his wife he had a terminal illness.
In real life, as opposed to the famous movie, it was the other way around. Doctors at the Mayo Clinic, and his wife, apparently told Gehrig that he had a kind of "chronic infantile paralysis," and a 50-50 chance of survival.
I find the idea that he - or she - didn't know a bit improbable, but there was a reluctance even in the public prints at the time to state the implications of an ALS diagnosis (see the 2d link).

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/8bb96875
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/health/20first.html
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

davey wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:36 am
floridagator wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:05 am I don't have the historic Yankee numbers memorized, but I knew that 1939 was approximately when Gehrig was forced to retire. He never told his wife he had a terminal illness.
In real life, as opposed to the famous movie, it was the other way around. Doctors at the Mayo Clinic, and his wife, apparently told Gehrig that he had a kind of "chronic infantile paralysis," and a 50-50 chance of survival.
I find the idea that he - or she - didn't know a bit improbable, but there was a reluctance even in the public prints at the time to state the implications of an ALS diagnosis (see the 2d link).

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/8bb96875
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/health/20first.html
There is now a view that Gehrig may not have had the disease named for him at all. He played football in college and played baseball in an era when head injuries were commonplace. By several accounts he had numerous concussions. This, he may very well have had CTE, now a big issue in the NFL and NHL, which can mimic the symptoms of ALS: Guardian article
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They stumble through the sports category but Duncan instantly gets Stockton and Malone and Kim knows who Steffi Graf married. Maybe he only follows basketball but her getting that was shocking.

I hate “Who is/was this person married to” categories.

It would have helped in FJ if I didn’t think blanca was the Latin word for white.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:05 am Double Alabama problem with a transmission freeze during the chat segment and then a news break-in after the DJ! round to announce the first coronavirus case in the state. Fortunately, J! resumed during think music to air the conclusion of the FJ! round.
Too bad it didn’t short out during the DD that reminded the world of my state’s less-than-stellar history. :roll:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 46,000
51 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gemini, aerobatics, South Dakota, Martina Navratilova, Pele, Lou Gehrig, Michigan, George & Gracie, water, affluenza (DD), chortle, The Lost Weekend, on horseback

I used to play an image-identification app that regularly used a picture of the Kaaba, but I couldn't pull the name from the back of my brain today. I also didn't have the guts to ring in and take a stab at "early/mid-20th century book about people in China = Pearl S. Buck."
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm I know lots of Latin words, but white = album was new to my Latin vocabulary.
I'm surprised I've never seen a trivia question referencing the fact that the Beatles' "White Album" is technically redundant.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:24 am I also note when contestants do particularly well, as I did earlier in this thread about [redacted]
Earlier in this thread, or in Monday's thread?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I didn't see anybody post Kim's romance novel cover from her interview story, so here it is.
harlequin-min.png
harlequin-min.png (242.92 KiB) Viewed 6044 times